Planescape: Torment

RPGfreak

Watcher
Hello. Could anyone tell me how you play this game? Not a walkthrough, hell no, i mean literally how to play it. How the combat/magic system works? It seems morte is a much better dps than i am. Maybe is it because i am unfamilliar with hardcore rpgs?(mostly an elder scroll/wow/ guildwars former player).

You may need to be a bit more specific. You use the mouse and click where you want to go. In battle, you click on the guy you want to attack. You can press space to pause the action and set up an attack. You press the left mouse button to bring up a small menu to select special attacks/spells or you can manually go to them by using the buttons on the bottom right of the screen.

Yeah, DPS wasn't a thing back then. It'd be better to not think about stuff in this game on those terms, it may not work out in the long run! Also, it's true Morte can start out a stronger fighter than The Nameless One, particularly if you boosted your social stats mostly during character creation. That's just how the game is...

The base of the system is 2nd edition AD&D. It's a pretty mucked up version of it, but that's the core of it. The manual is probably a good idea to glance through to figure out what's what. Looks like it's up here; http://www.scribd.com/doc/28846229/Planescape-Torment-Manual

Combat is not the hottest part of PS:T anyhow. It's more about the writing, world design and character interactions.

Good luck!

I assume you haven't played Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale? The combat system is pretty much the same as in those two games.

The combat system takes a while to get used to, especially since you can't choose a class early on. You start out as a fighter, and can then become a thief or a mage later on. If your current stats are mage like stats (high intelligence, low strength for example), Morte will be outperforming you in combat until you learn how to be a mage. If you have fighter like stats, you should be doing better than Morte soon.

What class do you intend to play by the way? That very much affects how you should focus your stats and combat style. The one thing I can say is this: Do not drop Wisdom as a stat, regardless of what class you play. Wisdom is used to talk your way out of a LOT of situations, in addition to giving you a significant experience increase, making it a lot more useful than Charisma.

Edit: Oh and welcome!

Hello. Could anyone tell me how you play this game? Not a walkthrough, hell no, i mean literally how to play it. How the combat/magic system works? It seems morte is a much better dps than i am. Maybe is it because i am unfamilliar with hardcore rpgs?(mostly an elder scroll/wow/ guildwars former player).

You read it more than you play it :)

I've started playing this one for the 1st time recently. My character is so sweet and polite sometimes that it makes me puke . I'm not out of the first zone yet so I don't know how the combat is.

Btw am I the only one thinking of Yorick when I see that skull?

Also, I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest!! :)

Combat is not the hottest part of PS:T anyhow. It's more about the writing, world design and character interactions.

This^. The combat in PS:T is downright boring if you try to compare it to Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. It's all about the story and characters.

Well there are the highest level spells that give you a glitchy funny over the top cut scene every time you let loose. Found that entertaining for a while.

Well there are the highest level spells that give you a glitchy funny over the top cut scene every time you let loose. Found that entertaining for a while.

Yeah they are at least more entertaining than the missile of patience spell you can get. Though I suppose that one's sort of an interesting joke the first time you use it at least, but not so much if you were expecting it to save you in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom