What games are you playing now?

Still playing around with Elite Dangerous, and it really is a wonder to play with a proper HOTAS setup.

That said, I'm already starting to tire of the nothingness of space without much in the way of content.

How unfortunate that they didn't, at least, include some text-based story missions or whatever. Some reason for me to pile up the cash beyond piling up more cash.

I've already stopped playing HoMM VI, and now I'm messing around with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

I previously played it for awhile shortly after it was released, but it struggled on the system I had at the time. It's nice to go back to games like this and see them running smooth in their full glory, and AC IV is truly a beautiful game.

Can you get it to run smoothly with full PhysX? For some reason, I can't do that on my current rig.

Can you get it to run smoothly with full PhysX? For some reason, I can't do that on my current rig.

Yes, but they've capped the framerate at 30 fps when vsync is on.

I don't remember that being the case when I played it before, so they must have changed something since then. It's an issue that has a lot of players on the Steam forums ranting. I've seen a few fixes mentioned, but I haven't tried them yet.

Yes, but they've capped the framerate at 30 fps when vsync is on.

I don't remember that being the case when I played it before, so they must have changed something since then. It's an issue that has a lot of players on the Steam forums ranting. I've seen a few fixes mentioned, but I haven't tried them yet.

Hmm, strange. I get a lot of stuttering with PhysX on high - regardless of vsync setting.

That said, it wasn't capped at 30 with vsync when I tried a month or so ago.

Then again, I often use external vsync settings.

I've tried it with both in-game vsync and forcing it through Nvidia while setting it to off in the game. The results are the same for me either way. It locks in at 30 fps regardless of settings, and trying to play without vsync results in some nasty screen-tearing.

There are several threads that mention a program called D3DOverrider that can override the frame-lock.

They must have done something very recently, as I'm 100% sure it wasn't capped at 30 last time I tried.

Do you still have it installed? If so, give it a try later, and use FRAPs to see what your framerate is.

I think they've also tweaked the visuals some since it was released. Maybe it's just me, but I swear that some of the anti-aliasing options work significantly better now.

What I would suggest is: Disable in-game VSync and enable 'Adaptive' VSync in the nVidia control panel. You will still get a little tearing but nothing too annoying.

What is probably happening here is the game tries to run at 60fps. If it can't hold it then it drops straight to 30fps.
With in-game VSync disabled and adaptive VSync enabled, you should be able to run it relatively smooth at framerates between 40 and 60fps if you have everything maxed out (TXAA 4x and all the bells and whistles the game has to offer).

What is probably happening here is the game tries to run at 60fps. If it can't hold it then it drops straight to 30fps.

It's definitely a hard lock being set by the game. You can find various conversations about it on Steam, etc.

I've tried that adaptive vsync setting, but it's never worked well for me in any game. I despise any kind of tearing or flickering during gameplay, and normal vsync is pretty much a necessity for me.

Do you still have it installed? If so, give it a try later, and use FRAPs to see what your framerate is.

I think they've also tweaked the visuals some since it was released. Maybe it's just me, but I swear that some of the anti-aliasing options work significantly better now.

I don't have it installed atm.

When I say I'm 100% sure it wasn't hardlocked at 30 - that means exactly that, though.

So, conclusively, they've either done something to the game within the last month or two - or you've got some tweaking to do ;)

So, conclusively, they've either done something to the game within the last month or two - or you've got some tweaking to do ;)

They've changed some things since I played it last. There's no doubt about that whatsoever.

It's moot though. After I couple of hours, I remembered why I don't like the AC games much to begin with. They're just too gamey for me, and I really dislike the Animus storyline and how it intertwines with the Assassin's setting. I wish there was an option to skip those sections altogether.

They've changed some things since I played it last. There's no doubt about that whatsoever.

It's moot though. After I couple of hours, I remembered why I don't like the AC games much to begin with. They're just too gamey for me, and I really dislike the Animus storyline and how it intertwines with the Assassin's setting. I wish there was an option to skip those sections altogether.

I seem to remember saying as much during our last talk about it ;)

After seeing the latest gameplay video of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I was inspired to install DX: HR - Director's Cut. I've owned it since day 1, but I've never actually played it until now.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The "upgraded" visuals aren't much of an upgrade at all, and I fail to see why it takes up more than twice the HD space of the original.

After seeing the latest gameplay video of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I was inspired to install DX: HR - Director's Cut. I've owned it since day 1, but I've never actually played it until now.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The "upgraded" visuals aren't much of an upgrade at all, and I fail to see why it takes up more than twice the HD space of the original.

Hmm, it doesn't take up that much space for me?

But the visual upgrade is minimal, true.

Hmm, it doesn't take up that much space for me?

But the visual upgrade is minimal, true.

I was comparing it to DX:HR which, according to my Steam library, is a 8.5 GB install. The DC is a little over 18GB.

Not a big deal either way. I'm not going to do a full playthrough now, but I wanted it ready because I'd like to play through it next February prior to the release of HR:MD

I was comparing it to DX:HR which, according to my Steam library, is a 8.5 GB install. The DC is a little over 18GB.

The original was around 16 GB unpacked, IIRC.

Steam often reports the download size only.

Not a big deal either way. I'm not going to do a full playthrough now, but I wanted it ready because I'd like to play through it next February prior to the release of HR:MD

I recommend playing it on the middle difficulty - as "Give Me Deus Ex" doesn't have the improved energy system.

The original was around 16 GB unpacked, IIRC.

Steam often reports the download size only.

No, I double checked. Those are the install sizes.

I forgot about the improved energy system, although "improved" is certainly subjective there. Imo, all it does is make the game even easier, and it's not super challenging to begin with.

No, I double checked. Those are the install sizes.

I forgot about the improved energy system, although "improved" is certainly subjective there. Imo, all it does is make the game even easier, and it's not super challenging to begin with.

Hmm, that's strange. I'll have to double check when I get home, if I can still install the non-DC version.

Definitely subjective, yes.

I felt it was much less needlessly punishing - and I felt I could actually use my powers without filling my inventory with those huge snacks.

To me, having to wait for endless recharging isn't that challenging - just frustrating.

However, I definitely preferred the energy system in the original.

Back
Top Bottom