Dishonored 2

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Dishonored 2 is an upcoming action-adventure stealth role-playing video game being developed by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. The sequel to Dishonored, it is expected to be released in the first or second quarter of 2016 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Gameplay

After playing as Empress Emily Kaldwin during the prologue of the game; players can decide whether to play as either Emily Kaldwin or Corvo Attano, respectively the princess and the protagonist from Dishonored. Players can also choose whether or not to play stealthily, and can finish the game without killing. The developers have stated that there will be a 'third' path, although its purpose for now is unknown. Like in the original game, the player works to save the Empire of the Isles, but from an "otherworldly usurper".https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishonored_2#cite_note-Polygon:_reveal-1 Corvo Attano and Emily Kaldwin will each undergo the same set of missions, although both will have different perspectives, react and execute it differently, which allows for higher replay value. Corvo Attano will retain his supernatural powers from the original game, although it is confirmed that there is room for more upgrades as well as it being more 'deepened and extended'. A more enhanced upgrading system will also be in place, such as an upgrade skill tree. Emily Kaldwin will be embraced with a new set of powers such as 'Far Reach' which allows the player to travel further distances without physical movement, similar to Corvo's 'Blink' power from the original game. The developers have also confirmed that the game will be more difficult and challenging than its predecessor, as well as a wider variety of options and settings to enhance the difficulty for the player and the game itself, such as being seen by guards while peering behind a wall for a stated period of time.

More information.

Heck of a game!

Like the original Dishonored, you can stealth your way through or just play it like a shooter and murder your way through the world. The world will react to violence, though, and turn more ugly and nasty as you go along. You can even play as Corvo again, if you like - or play the now grown up Emily who has a different power set. I'm guessing the third path mentioned in their pre-release info refers to the option you get a little later: you can refuse The Outsider's offer and play the game with no powers at all! Corvo can't posses animals, Emily can't tie enemies' fates to each other, it's just you and your stuff.

Arkane also gives you a *lot* of options in the game. I would recommend leaving the defaults on for the first few hours then evaluating just what you like and don't like. Do you think it's cheating to have the game plop a marker right on your objectives? Turn them off! Don't want the game telling you exactly how long you can hold a grenade? Toggle it! Want to be able to mark a bone charm / rune or do you only want them visible when you're holding a special item? You're choice! (And you're free to never equip that item, too, if you want to be real hard core.)

The levels are interesting, too. They seem short and, if you were to run from one end to the other, it wouldn't take long at all. But these things are dense! You'll find you can get in to quite a few buildings. You'll also need to get in the habit of looking up to find pipes/balconies to teleport to. Just finding all the loot in a room can take quite some time until you get the eyes assist that lets you highlight loot. (*IF* you get that power - again, it's your choice.)

Replay value is way up there with this one. Play the game again as a different character, be more/less violent, and find different things as you go along - it should be a pretty different game. Once you finish one play-through, you can do New Game Plus which converts all your powers back to runes and lets you pick your powers all over again - and those powers will include all of Emily AND Corvo's powers! (Obviously, you're going to want to crank the difficulty way up for this one.)

I really didn't see many cons for this game. The biggest would be that sometimes people seem to die for no reason. I'll shoot somebody with the sleep bolt and he'll up and die on me! Did I hit an artery? Did he have an allergic reaction?? Did I step on his neck accidentally?? Quite a bother when you're trying to get through a level with no deaths! Also the graphics engine seems to freak out with shadows and distant objects from time to time.

The game should be fine if you didn't play the first game but you'll get more out of it by playing Dishonored 1, Knife of Dunwall, and Brigmore Witches.

Oh, and save anywhere + autosaves! Woo hoo!

The only con (IMO) is that this game is a bit too similar to Dishonored 1. I'm just not getting the thrill that I've experienced while playing the first game. Also, and it might be just my perception, second part appears to be shorter than the first.

I really didn't see many cons for this game. The biggest would be that sometimes people seem to die for no reason. I'll shoot somebody with the sleep bolt and he'll up and die on me! Did I hit an artery? Did he have an allergic reaction?? Did I step on his neck accidentally?? Quite a bother when you're trying to get through a level with no deaths!
Two witches that sat you a trap in the alley IIRC chapter 4 are bugged. If you just KO them by hands, they die for no reason afterwards.
Workaround is to use sleepdarts. If you already KOed them, shoot them with sleepdarts to "confirm". Or when you're passing through that area, just ignore them.

Otherwise it never happened to me someone dies on a sleepdart (assuming they didn't fall from some height and broke neck) so that's odd.

Remember not to leave KOed people near bloodflies - blooodflies will kill them. That is not a bug.

The only con (IMO) is that this game is a bit too similar to Dishonored 1. I'm just not getting the thrill that I've experienced while playing the first game. Also, and it might be just my perception, second part appears to be shorter than the first.
Did you play with levers in Clockwork Mansion yet? And did you lose all spells in a certain mansion, but received an OP ability from Clive Barker's Undying?

Similar of course it is. Too similar? Can't agree.

Am I in a time warp?

Didn't this game release last December?
It did. Yet the game is still a masterpiece worth discussing. Buy now, play. The game does contain a time warp during one chapter.

Otherwise it never happened to me someone dies on a sleepdart (assuming they didn't fall from some height and broke neck) so that's odd.
It happened to me once (or twice because I've tried it again with the same result). Conservatory mission, room with Oraculum. On the ground floor there are two witches drinking and smoking. One is sitting down on a kind of sofa and another is laying on the floor with her legs up. If you sleepdart the laying one, her legs slide to the side and, when you jump down, you'll discover that she is dead.

Did you play with levers in Clockwork Mansion yet? And did you lose all spells in a certain mansion, but received an OP ability from Clive Barker's Undying?
Yes. Preferred the second than the first but both were great. But just 2 missions out of 7? Still have to do 8th and 9th so, maybe, this ratio will change...

There was some big lunch room with a lot of guards in it. I picked them off one by one but a pair were sitting at a table. I tried to sleep dart both of them but missed one. I darted him again and started moving around the room to loot it and otherwise explore. Luckily, I noticed the second guy was dead and was able to re-load.

It happened again much later in the game where I nailed some guy right in the face with a sleep dart as he was running at me. Ooops, dead. No idea why.

The clockwork mansion was a great level!

There are also a couple of guards on the smuggler's boat in the Palace District (mission 8). If you dart them, they fall into the water at the bottom of the boat and die.

I played the first Dishonored and it was awesome. Can't wait to play the second one:)

Back
Top Bottom