Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Asdraguuhl, interesting experience there. Funny, I played a battle mage and just hacked my way through those hundreds of enemies! I thought it was fun, but sometimes I would be just traversing the world killing hundreds of orcs when I would suddenly run into a very difficult enemy and get killed right away, just to realize I hadn't saved in hours. It's not as fun the second time around….

Divine Divinity also suffered from a terrible design flaw where it was possible to get to the end and it was impossible to win the final battle. You had to have made certain design choices in your character in order to finish.

What I liked about DD is the humour and the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously as Relayer has stated. It has adult humour, sarcasm, self-mockery etc., which I can appreciate and this alone sets itself apart from many other games.

It is just that it has too much hack'n slash combat, which IMO negates the good parts. Even within civilised areas you are constantly attacked by snakes, boars, bees, etc. Hell, somehow I even pissed off all the cats as they suddenly became hostile towards me.

Divine Divinity also suffered from a terrible design flaw where it was possible to get to the end and it was impossible to win the final battle. You had to have made certain design choices in your character in order to finish.

I agree that your success in some boss battles depends highly on character builds but what specific design choices are you referring to?

I agree that your success in some boss battles depends highly on character builds but what specific design choices are you referring to?

I am not sure, I only played partway through. My daughter got to the end and couldn't finish. She went out and read "the boards" and found that certain builds of characters could not beat the final boss battle.

Not an issue I encountered, but I could see it happening...not necessarily just with a bad build, but a bad build at too low of a level. About 4/5ths through the main quest, you are transported to a different map altogether. You can't go back to the original (much larger) world map. Since Divine Divinity has no re-spawns, you are limited to a certain amount of experience that you can receive. If you were not powerful enough and your build was not that strong, I could see the final 1/5th being impossible to beat.

About 4/5ths through the main quest, you are transported to a different map altogether. You can't go back to the original (much larger) world map.

Yeah, that caught me off guard, and I wish there had been some kind of warning beforehand. There were a few quests I hadn't completed in the other maps, but I didn't feel like going back to an earlier save by the time I realized it.

That final 1/5 should have been cut from the game entirely, imo.

JDR13, you'll be happy to notewhat I've changed my stance somewhat towards BG1. I started playing it again last year and although I only got about halfway before my HD crashed and I lost my save, I really did enjoy it more than I did the first time. I think it helped that I played it with the widescreen and BG TUTU mods - looked better and less clunk feeling.

Gameplay wise, I'd forgotten how much fun it was in general. I still think BG2 was better - ok, maybe just more to my liking, definitely more polished and prettier, and EPIC. But it's probably best to play through the whole story from beginning to end.

That reminds me that I still haven't played TOB which I picked up 2 years ago (possibly 3). Just got BG on GOG with the recent sale along with IWD, BG2, and PST, and Arcanum + Div Div with December's GOG sale so don't know when I'll find the time to replay BG (or any of the others, heh), but I definitely know I want to.

Oh, and related to topic: Too lazy to look through my list from 2007, but I don't think it's changed much since then. I just can't remember any RPGs coming out in this period worthy enough to make my list. To be fair, I have missed a fair amount of RPGs but the ones I've played the past five years haven't been too wonderful.

I guess I could pick ME2 but I played it on the 360 and really it plays more like a console game than a classic CRPG. And I loved it but top 10 material? Don't think so. Dragon Age Origins comes close though - I loved it. But would have to replay it in a few years to be sure.

So, any RPGs to come out in the last 5 years to make anyone's Top 10 presently?

This will give me an idea of what I should play that I missed :)

Yes, if I were to redo my list Skyrim and Fallout Vegas would move into my top 10. My honorable mentions would include Deus Ex HR, and Venetica.

My honorable mentions would include Deus Ex HR, and Venetica.
I can definitely agree on both games. Venetica was one of the games in the last about ten years that surprised me the most. I still don't understand the lack of coverage it got form the media.

And speaking of Top 10 lists, don't you forget The Witcher 2 ...

Fallout 3

The vanilla game is average, but with the right mods I found it to be a fantastic experience. Very large and immersive world to explore, and I loved the atmosphere.

The Witcher 2 and Dragon Knight Saga were both very good as well. Not sure if they're Top 10 for me but they would be close. I haven't played the EE version of Witcher 2 though..

I can definitely agree on both games. Venetica was one of the games in the last about ten years that surprised me the most. I still don't understand the lack of coverage it got form the media.

And speaking of Top 10 lists, don't you forget The Witcher 2 …

I didn't - I liked Witcher 1 a lot more. OTH,I love what the developers are doing with the franchise but for me the first one was a better game experience. As wonky as that game was.

as far as Venetica, I might have to get that game on Steam if it ever gets real cheap just so I can get some screen capture shots. It doesn't have the magnificent realism of Skyrim but some of the cartoony city vistas are amazing. I am right now chuckling to myself remembering those guys who help our heroine with locks and their back story - just a great game.

BTW, the heroines of Venetica and Beyond Good and Evil looks like they might be twin sisters. And both played in good games that were sorta under appreciated. hmmm. Go figure

This will give me an idea of what I should play that I missed :)

I would include Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3 (with mods that enhance the RP experience, as JDR recommends above), Dragon Age: Origins, also just started playing Risen, so it's too early to say but it seems like it might possibly make the list, ignoring some tech issues.

I also enjoyed Witcher 1 quite a bit more than Witcher 2, which I stopped playing after about 9 or 10 hours. Dragon Age II was somewhat underrated, IMO, but it didn't live up to the promise of its predecessor and it is certainly not among the top ten CRPGs. Never played any of the Deus: Ex games.

Fallout 3: I actually did really like this one after I gave it a second chance just last year on the 360 and really enjoyed it. But only put about 20 hours into it, still on my backlog.

Fallout NV: Got this for 360 as a x-mas gift, only put in about 5 hours into it but really liking it a lot as well.

Skyrim: Definitely has a chance to be on my list. But again, got it for my b-day a few days after release and have still only put in about 40 hours. "About 40 hours" is enough to finish many games but as you all know in Skyrim it's getting started! Need to get back to it soon as I was really loving it.

Still haven't played any of the Witcher games. My 7 year old PC finally died last year and I haven't replaced it yet and I doubt this laptop will run even the first game.

I've seen the name "Venetica" but really know nothing about this one so will definitely check it out.

My current list ...
I am cheating a bit, because I simply played to many rpgs over time:

1) Planescape Torment
this one is like a novel with wonderful characters
2) Wizardry 6, 7, 8
the best turn based combat party rpg triology ever
3) Albion
perfect blend of Wizardry and Ultima - superb story
4) Ultima 7 - all parts & Ultima Underworld 1+2
the Grandfather of all living worlds
5) Might & Magic 2-7
great turn based series, with many riddles and puzzles
6) Fallout 1+2 + New Vegas
this game is simply fun - great style
7) Gothic 1, 2 NOTR
8) Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Baal
Re-Invention of the good old "Gold Box Games"
9) Jagged Alliance 1, Deadly Games, 2 + Deidranna Lives / Urban Chaos / Wildfire
the very best strategy combat rpg
10) System Shock 1+2
the best rpg with all other humans dead

Honorable Mentions:
Skyrim, Betrayal at Krondor, Genforge1-3, Avernum(=Exile)1-4, Vampire - the Masquerade, NWN 1+2, Nordland triology, Evil Islands, Daggerfall, KOTOR 1, Dungeon Master 1+2, Ambermoon, Amberstar, Icewind Dale, Deus Ex, Bards Tale 2, Darklands, Wasteland …

I have to stop …

Might&Magic 2
Chaos Strikes Back
Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Pools of Darkness
Ultima Underworld
Dark Queen of Krynn
Baldur's Gate 1 (modded)
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Morrowind

Honourable mention:
The rest of the Gold Box games
Dark Heart of Uukrul
The Magic Candle
Darklands

My taste could easily be described as: Obsidian and Piranha Bytes games. Bioware and Bethesda after that.

In no particular order my top 10 list would include:

Baldurs Gate 2
(massive game that works in both SP and COOP, and while I think other games do many things better BG2 puts the parts together beautifully)
Gothic 1 (I enjoyed all three games, but G1 had the greatest WOW factor)
The Witcher 2 (I love the grey setting, and TW2 actually had a decent combat system)
Fallout New Vegas (Obsidian's writing with some of Bethesda's open world feel)
Arcanum (Interesting setting, tonnes of ways of resolving quests)
Darklands (interesting setting, combat and ruleset)
Morrowind (probably the game I've spent the most time playing, and during a recent replay I came to appreciate that you actually have quite a few ways of resolving quests, and that the quest lines are intertwined)
Pool of Radiance (the only Goldbox game that gave an illusion of non-linearity)
Ultima Underworld 2 (Writing and world building that you dont see today, unfortunately the engine aged badly)
Knights of the Old Republic 2 (controversial choice, but I loved the NPCs and the lack of any Bioware-type teenage girl thief)

Just outside the list I'd put: Dragon Age:Origins, the other Gothic games, the Witcher 1, Alpha Protocol, the Mass Effect games (of which I like the third best), Baldurs Gate 1, Kotor1, Fallout 1-2 (3 is okay but quite far behind the games I listed here) and Jade Empire.

Arise, ancient One, arise !

I decided to update my List; after all, it's not 1991 anymore :)

… and here it is:

1. Neverwinter Nights 2 (with Expansions, MotB has a great Story, SoZ great Mechanics)
2. Drakensang - River of Time (without the Expansion, wich is an atrocity; Coregame has great Atmosphere but lacking Gameplay)
3. World of Warcraft Classic (great Gameplay, decent Atmosphere - but only Classic, every AddOn was an epic decline.)
4. Realms of Arkania 2 - Startrail (well, back in the days, streamlining wasn't bad - now you could shoot arrows diagonally and you only had to assign camp-duties once and not everytime you need to rest^^)
5. Baldur's Gate 2 (Expansion not necessary but convenient)
6. Baldur's Gate 1 (with Expansion - Durlag's Tower is one of the best Dungeons ever)
7. Dungeon Master (with Expansion for epic Challenges; the coregame had also perfect gameplay)
8. Temple of Elemental Evil (the ultimate Gameplay but disastrous Atmosphere and RP…)
9. Planescape Torment (still the best story ever - but let us not talk about the Gameplay)
10. Vampire - Bloodlines (ultimate Atmosphere, disastrous Gameplay… damn it, Troika o_O)

Dropped from my former List:

Fate - simply because I can't play it anymore and I doubt I have the patience for that ancient-school-gameplay anymore
Realms of Arkania 1 - still nice, but horrible clunky for todays standards.
Legend of Faerghail - only the amiga-version is graphicaly bearable and the gameplay hasn't aged well.
Neverwinter Nights 1 - only good with a bunch of equal nerdy friends… but alas, mine moved on :)

Don't think I ever posted mine ... and if I did I forgot. I will go in order, with #1 being my all time, absolute, favorite game as of right now. I will stick to SRPG since I consider MMO's to be a different beast. I tend to be biased towards fantasy settings as well

1. Skyrim + DLC
2. Baldur Gate Series (BG1, TotSC, BG2, ToB)
3. Dragon Age Origins
4. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 plus expansions
5. Morrowind
6. Fallout New Vegas
7. Darklands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darklands_(video_game))
8. Pools of Radiance series
9. Might and Magic series
10. Knights of the Republic series

Honorable mention to the Mass Effect series. It was fun and a very pleasant diversion for that type of game.

Back
Top Bottom