Why people are so crazy over Final Fantasy?

In FF7? The only bosses you have to grind to beat are the optional "Weapon" bosses. Those are there for folks who are *really* enjoying the game or who just haven't got the cash for a new game yet and want to keep playing something.

Though maybe you mean that snake thing in the swamps near the start of the game? You aren't supposed to beat that, you're supposed to avoid it. It can be beaten the first time you see it if you grind like mad but there's no reason to do so.

It is there so you can steal its ability and escape after that :D

I wouldn't say that the Final Fantasy series requires nostalgia, but it does help to have grown up with the games. To go back and play the earlier games for the first time now, after experiencing far more advanced games... I can see where they might be underwhelming. Especially if you don't really enjoy turn-based battles or pixelated sprites.

I remember playing Final Fantasy IV for the first time on SNES and being absolutely entralled with the gorgeous sprites, the orchestral music, the dramatic storyline, all of which fairly new at the time. For me, those early Final Fantasy games have stood the test of time quite well - I can go back and play them and still greatly enjoy myself. I love the music in those games, and it was always fun to explore the games and look for secrets.

Like a few others, FFXIII didn't sit well with me. Too linear and the battle system was too hand-off (it bugged me to no end to not be able to control more than one character at a time). I didn't play XIII-2 or 3 yet.

….
But on more JRPG centric forums there are diehard FF fans who will rabidly defend it. Yet it often seems they cannot really articulate why they love it…

Overall, it's a mediocre series that I think enjoys success mainly due to nostalgia…
It's not clear if your comment target the whole series or only the last release.

If you target the whole series, I'll answer you.

I don't remember clearly what FF I played, I'm sure for 3&4, perhaps 5&7. I honestly finished only the IV.

As in most JRPG you have to go over some "qualities" that are uncommon in WRPG. For example:
- Younger heroes, any NPC with graphics picturing him like a teen despite he could be a senior, every NPC/Hero no matter the age that look a bit like kid.
- Stories faking be compatible to very young players and morale should be highlighted.
- Random encounters at high rate.
- Character building pretty different than later WRPG, where choices are less on character development itself.
- And tendency to make you grin if you don't master the combat system which will be hard for most players.
- The ton of clichés you see again and again JRPG after JRPG.
- Some more

If you can go over it, FF can have at least past the III:
- Very good writing not from shy writers or just bad writers as in most WRPG of that era.
- Good combat system if the repetitions from random encounters don't end disgust you.
- Many good tricks and secrets.
- Good exploration in many parts of the game.
- A wide world to explore and many quests and NPC.

That's enough to beat most of the concurrent of the same time, but again you need be able go over some characteristics.

If you can go over it, FF can have at least past the III:
- Very good writing not from shy writers or just bad writers as in most WRPG of that era.
- Good combat system if the repetitions from random encounters don't end disgust you.
- Many good tricks and secrets.
- Good exploration in many parts of the game.
- A wide world to explore and many quests and NPC.

Good writing?
jpg

Sure, blows games like Planet Escape Tournament and other stupid WRPGs out of the water!

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're going to write off the whole story, probably a few hundred pages worth of dialog, because of one bad verb conjugation!? Whatever.
Is your vision augmented with rose-tinted glass or you've never played the game?

Don't you remember the confusing dialogue during the first boss battle?
The typos and poor wording riddling the writing and names?

"I see. So that'll how you'll fool them."
"Hmm...So that's how you fooled them."

Multiple mistranslations resulting in a completely different meaning of quite a few lines?

If that's "one bad verb conjugation", then Google Translate is a decent translator.

Actually, no, I don't remember those and I've played 7 multiple times. I wouldn't even have remembered the one you first posted if you hadn't included a screenshot. But I *can* tell you there's a guy in that pipe that just says "uuuuuhhhnnn" or some such and I can tell you that I tried pretty hard to figure out what that guy was supposed to be about and never did.

Rose colored glasses? Maybe - I'm in no position to say. But rose isn't the only color in popular use: there's also the urine colored glasses. Those are the ones where you look at something and can see nothing but the faults.

Plus you've got another really glaring issue. You made the title of this topic "Why people are so crazy over Final Fantasy?" The 2nd and 3rd word are reversed. If you really cared about grammar, why haven't you fixed that? Personally I couldn't care less. Maybe that's why I've forgotten them in FF7.

Classy, Zloth. Playing the game multiple times and failing to notice anything like this, yet calling me out on a simple mistake. :p

I do hope someone can provide me a clear explanation without acting totally insecure/childish/personal.

Back
Top Bottom