General News - The Problem with Levelling

YouTube seems to have been having server problems the last few days. Google's servers in general, I think. Google Maps has gone crazy on me a few times.

YouTube seems to have been having server problems the last few days. Google's servers in general, I think. Google Maps has gone crazy on me a few times.

Coronavirus.

*nods knowingly*

I personally like levelling in RPGs.

I personally think however, that a human should still feel like a human, but as levels increase, they have more adaptability, and more skills or resources to deal with encounters.

HPs used to be in D&D about how a person responds to damage, more than how tough they are. Experienced people dodge, or roll, or mitigate the damage they take, and hence HPs rise.

I like games that have reduced gains of levels over time (like original D&D did at level 9 to some degree with reduced HP gain). So a slowing of the gains of levels over time. This stops level-scaling even being needed, where the environment can stay the same, but instead of running after killing 2 goblins, you can kill 8 before running lol!

My ideal levelling:
Start the game with reasonable hit points / health (eg 30); then gain 4 HPs a level from 1 to 8, 3hp/lev: 9 to 12, 2 HPs per level after that. With more experience needed per levels. Randomise it!
Gain skills with levels, but not overpowered skills, more skill that just add more options on how to do things rather than making a character God like!

Just means that you can't one shot a dragon at high levels… he can still eat you in a gulp! Means that fighting 20 goblins is always risky, but you have more tools to deal with them (ie. take some out of the fight, but not kill them / crowd control). It means you wouldn't dare go into the dark woods, until you were more competent (higher level), or had a ranger guide perhaps.

It sounds like BG3 might have a good mix.

Back
Top Bottom