Quantcast
Recommend me a Space 4x4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Recommend me a Space 4x4

Default Recommend me a Space 4x4

November 7th, 2016, 11:09
There a lot of them out there and I've tried a few but so far haven't found one that hits my niche. I enjoy exploration, ship/base design, economy, diplomacy, empire building. I do not like random tech trees or tactical combat. Ideally combat plays a minimal role or at least auto-resolved.
I like Beyond Earth but it is planet bound and I want Space!
I like Endless Space but I keep getting destroyed in combat and I have read that enemy AI will at attack at some point no matter what you do.
I have Space Empires IV but it crashes on launch.
I have X2: The Threat but I cannot figure out the controls or how to do anything <- badly needs a tutorial!

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 7th, 2016, 11:23
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
There a lot of them out there and I've tried a few but so far haven't found one that hits my niche. I enjoy exploration, ship/base design, economy, diplomacy, empire building. I do not like random tech trees or tactical combat. Ideally combat plays a minimal role or at least auto-resolved.
I like Beyond Earth but it is planet bound and I want Space!
I like Endless Space but I keep getting destroyed in combat and I have read that enemy AI will at attack at some point no matter what you do.
I have Space Empires IV but it crashes on launch.
I have X2: The Threat but I cannot figure out the controls or how to do anything <- badly needs a tutorial!
Master of Orion 2 or the new one…

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

November 7th, 2016, 13:21
I greatly enjoy Stellaris, though it only meets your "ship/base design" requirement barely, and it does have a random tech tree, so not sure whether I would recommend it for you.

But, you might want to look into Galactic Civilization. I only played number 2 briefly, but from what I remember it fit your requirements.

Also, not sure why X2 is in your list as it's not really a 4x game.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 7th, 2016, 16:01
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Master of Orion 2 or the new one…
+1 for MOO

Really any of the Master of Orion games (although I haven't played 3, I hear it's lame?)

If X2 interests you, you may want to try Eve Online. A little bit of a learning curve, but it has a good tutorial. After years of a solid following, they're releasing a free-to-play component here shortly.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 7th, 2016, 16:24
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
+1 for MOO

Really any of the Master of Orion games (although I haven't played 3, I hear it's lame?)

If X2 interests you, you may want to try Eve Online. A little bit of a learning curve, but it has a good tutorial. After years of a solid following, they're releasing a free-to-play component here shortly.
I played MOO3 for a while, but it felt very slow-paced and with too many disconnected things to do. Graphics were very pretty for the time, but gameplay was not as interesting in my opinion.

I haven't played the new MOO, but it looks good. MOO2 was great fun however.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

November 7th, 2016, 19:19
Distant Worlds: Universe

Moddable and you can automate things if some of the micromanagement is a turnoff.

greywolf00

Keeper of the Watch

November 8th, 2016, 00:11
I have GalCivII wishlisted on GOG so I think I will get that. Distant Worlds sounds good but expensive, I'll keep an eye on it and get it if it drops into my price range.

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 8th, 2016, 02:10
MOO2 is a must.

The one thing that I liked about MOO3 was the ground-based planetary combat. It was a neat idea that should have been explored further.

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 8th, 2016, 05:07
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
Also, not sure why X2 is in your list as it's not really a 4x game.
You can build an empire and play it in a way that keeps combat minimal. Seems to fit somewhat.

I wouldn't play X2, though, or even the first X3 game. X3:Terran Conflict is the one to go for in this case. You'll be in some battles if you play the quests but you can make a boatload of money doing taxi missions then getting into space factory building and trading. (Plus I made a little tutorial (plug plug))

On the 4X side, you're really describing GalCiv. No tactical combat. Lots of ship design. I've played some GalCiv2 games where I haven't fired a shot by going with influence victories. (Most often, though, somebody does decide to attack so I have to fight them off real quick.)

I've tried Distant Worlds but I don't think you can do that one in such a way that battles will be rare. You can make games where battles will be rare for the first half or so but eventually….
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 9th, 2016, 10:14
Master of Orion 2, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Endless Space, Galactic Civilizations 2, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Those would be your best choices.

P.S.: Endless Space is not that difficult when you get a hang of it. It just has a long learning curve, but when you get it, you can play on the hardest difficulty witout problems.

wolfsrain

Sentinel

November 9th, 2016, 14:15
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
3 is actually not bad in multiplayer, but in singleplayer, the braindead AI make it a poor game. That, and there are elements that don't seem to work properly, which the AI don't know don't work…

In most 4X space games you'll sooner or later end up at a stage where you'll have to confront the AI, or alternatively, have a big enough fleet as to deter the AI from attacking you (more often than not, both). This is true for Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations, Endless Space, Stars! and any other 4X space I can think of. But at least you don't have to deal with tactical combat in these games. Sword of the Stars can also be played with automated tactical combat (get the first one, not the second one).

Actually, I think you might be able to play Aurora in a non-violent way, but Aurora is just amazingly complex, and I was never able to get into it (Aurora is, by some, described as "being to Dwarf Fortress what Dwarf Fortress is to other games").

Fnord

SasqWatch

November 9th, 2016, 18:00
I got GalCivII yesterday and played it all night. It's perfect, I played as pacifist Atarians. I did get drawn into a couple of battles .For the first one I didn't have ANY military tech researched but I found ( random luck event ) "Lucky Ranger" a precursor ship that was WAY o.p.! LOL. 2nd war I got drawn into because my Allies got declared on and I felt obligated to join in. Eventually won with Ascendency.

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 10th, 2016, 00:38
Stellaris is fine, it's different in that it has lots and lots of events. It gets stale in the 'middle game', but you'll get your money's worth I'm sure.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 10th, 2016, 01:44
Star Control 2, Alpha Centauri (not space rly but more like civ) and Endless Legend
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

November 10th, 2016, 13:28
How does GalcivIII compare to GalcivII ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 15th, 2016, 09:58
Originally Posted by luj1 View Post
Star Control 2, Alpha Centauri (not space rly but more like civ) and Endless Legend
Haven't played Endless Legend, Alpha Centauri is dope (Civilization in Space) and Star Control 2 is one of the greats that every gamer needs to play at least once (but isn't really a 4x game. It's…a Star Control game. )

GalCiv seemed cool from the very little I played, and the Master of Orion series looks incredible (another one I haven't played yet).

If you want something in a fantasy RPG-style setting the best ever 4x game is Master of Magic. Just wanted to shout that game out because it's another game that every fan of RPG/4x/fantasy/etc. needs to play!

Fluent

Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

November 18th, 2016, 22:59
Got to love the Rpg Watch effect. Thanks guys. After reading this thread, I remembered I actually love 4x space games and low and behold, Distant Worlds went on sale. Geeze, this game has so much going on. I watched 2 of the tutorials and played a small universe, custom game and before long, its early in the am and I am hopelessly addicted. Great, Great game!
--
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The Second Coming- William Butler Yeats
Last edited by redman5427; November 20th, 2016 at 18:41.

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

November 19th, 2016, 16:52
Errr, I should point out that it's a 4X game. The only time I've seen 4x4 is when talking about off-road vehicles.

Distant Worlds is pretty cool with all its automation. It pretty much forces battle on you, though, and I really don't like RTS-style combat much. I ended up starting games, doing a lot of expanding, exploring, and exploiting but quit once the exterminating started in earnest.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Recommend me a Space 4x4