Mass Effect: Andromeda - Preview

I would agree the eyes and human faces and speaking look pretty bad, but if that's your reason for condemning an action/rpg or judging and action/rpg to be a bad game, I think you should probably wake up. Do you really base your game purchases on how well the dialogs are animated?

I've also seen ridicule of a few corny lines of dialog - which is also pretty stupid considering most games have some corny lines in them - and such a thing is not only about perspective and pure opinion, but when those lines are looked out with zero context it makes even less sense. In a game that likely features thousands of lines of dialog, there's bound to be something in there that every player will dislike for a multitude of reasons.

Um, while the majority of forums are reacting this way, this forum especially is an RPG board. Poor writing and bad cinematics are what kill the game for most people here. The question is whether what was shown really meant to be taken seriously.

Certain smaller gaming sites and such having a go at it probably won't affect much, but even PewDiePew has had a go at it by now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEKM2amQ2E

Over 3 million views in two days. His fan base is actually big enough to affect sales.

Yeah, pewdiepie will affect sales more than any other single website out there including IGN or Gamespot. And i am not even joking.

Yeah, pewdiepie will affect sales more than any other single website out there including IGN or Gamespot. And i am not even joking.
STILL!? Who's still watching that guy??

STILL!? Who's still watching that guy??

He still has a subscriber base of just over 54 million. That is like 1/5th of the US watching him.

Um, while the majority of forums are reacting this way, this forum especially is an RPG board. Poor writing and bad cinematics are what kill the game for most people here. The question is whether what was shown really meant to be taken seriously.

BioWare writing has always fallen into the campy, corny, cheesy category with super awkward moments (especially in romances*) and lacking plot logic. Their animations have never been that great either, they just hide them with dark lightning, clever camera cuts/angles and not too many face close up. After DAI, people complained about not seeing the face of characters enough in dialogues…MEA is simply overcompensating that critic.

*If the protagonist had a voice in KoTOR and DAO during the Bastilla and Alistair romance scenes. :rotfl:

Not interested in that game, but aren't expectations a tad high here? Sure, some lines (in a ton) are a bit off, and some animations are less than perfect, but at this level of sophistication I believe things just become noticeable that wouldn't in a game that strove for less fidelity. An uncanny valley of sorts.
All things said, this still looks better and sounds better than most games I've ever played. Not perfect, but good enough to make me wonder why I hear so little complaints about its bland gameplay and plot...

Was Bioware so supremely confident that they've decided to dispose with QC? Did they think that nobody will notice?

Do they live on the same planet as the rest of us?

$$$$$

They're focused on profit so it made them sloppy and lazy. Just like Skyrim had been 90% PR, while the core game is a catastrophy.

Last edited:
Someone responding to the MEA rip campaign.

The Battlefield 1 video is hilarious, I think we can put down a lots of MEA glitches on Frostbyte.
From that article you linked: "groups of political correctness conspiracy theorists, always seeking a new target, used their tinfoil hats to argue BioWare was infiltrated by a clan of social justice ninjas dedicated to making the women in Andromeda less attractive. Right."

The article attempts to mock it as a "conspiracy theory", but it's obviously true. All the female chars don't get so much less "conventionally" attractive going from ME1-3 to ME:A just by complete incompetence and/or accident. I guess the part you could argue is whether or not "social justice" was the actual motivation, but what else would it be?

Why are female NPC better looking than any female char you could create?

You can make Caucasian (aka white) characters already. Whoever wrote that is either a moron or just trying to stir shit up. I'll got with stir shit up personally.

None of the presets were white. Can you link me to the caucasian faces?

presets 1-8
vrKISeR.jpg

9th preset:
https://i0.wp.com/c1.staticflickr.com/4/3682/33062938350_ce31dea325_z.jpg?resize=585,312&ssl=1

EA recently fired an employee over this because of his racist views against whites.

You can make Caucasian (aka white) characters already. Whoever wrote that is either a moron or just trying to stir shit up. I'll got with stir shit up personally.
"Caucasian" sure, like the article even said you could create a Hispanic or Syrian-looking character, which are obviously Caucasians. But the term "white", colloquially, generally means something very different than just Caucasian. And the gist of the article appears to be already confirmed by Ian Frazier tweets.

EA recently fired an employee over this because of his racist views against whites.
If you're talking about Manveer Heir, he claims he quit because ME:A was done and he wanted to go indie. But his Twitter is so extremely toxic (anti-white sentiment), that I wouldn't be surprised if he was forced out.

"Caucasian" sure, like the article even said you could create a Hispanic or Syrian-looking character, which are obviously Caucasians. But the term "white", colloquially, generally means something very different than just Caucasian. And the gist of the article appears to be already confirmed by Ian Frazier tweets.

Ian tweet was responding to someone who wanted to make preset #8, a black scanned face, white. The face are scanned so the skin tone range were limited to preserve that. Preset #3 has the lightest tone (I think).

c8uTCxH.jpg

Well if you google that bioware designer called Manveer Heir, its not a small miracle that those kinds rumors are running wild. According to reddit he left or was fired just recently.

edit: Doh! You guys post fast. :)

I think that is right unless all the others start at the middle too. Which would be odd.

EDIT: So they did make the odd choice.

Back
Top Bottom