The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Steam Page Available

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum now has a Steam page.

Athletic and agile, sneaky and cunning. Driven by the desire to once again hold in his hands what he lost, Gollum is one of the most fascinating characters in the world of The Lord of the Rings(tm).

He has seen things that others can not imagine, he has survived things that others would not dare mention. Torn by his split personality, he can be vicious and villainous as Gollum, but social and cautious as Sméagol.

While being vital to the story by J.R.R. Tolkien, many parts of Gollum's quest have not been told in detail yet. In The Lord of the Rings(tm): Gollum(tm) you get to experience this story. From his time as a slave below the Dark Tower to his stay with the Elves of Mirkwood.

Use stealth, agility and cunning to survive and overcome what lies ahead. Climb, leap and grapple your way past dangers or into advantageous spots.

While Gollum might not be a fighter, it is not unlike him to assassinate a careless enemy when the chance presents itself - or dispose of them in more creative and villainous ways.

The decisions you make and the way you play have a direct influence on Gollum's personality: Always struggling between the two sides embodied by Gollum and Sméagol, it is up to you to decide whether the darker side of Gollum takes over or if there is a spark of reason left in what once was Sméagol. One mind, two egos - you decide!
More information.

Well, they sure picked an interesting protagonist, and a very "niche" side-story. Curious how this'll turn out. The description at least sounds very in line with canon, so hopefully they'll stay true to the world.

And I hope his head isn't so big in the proper game.

I wish they had came up with their own vision of Gollum instead of just copying Peter Jackson's version.

I wonder if it was the dev's choice or if they're contractually obligated to use the visual style of the films.

This just kinda baffles me. Don't really know who was begging for this to be made.
Good question.

I am not too fond of prequels to begin with.
And certainly not of a prequel for a character which I know will just end up jumping into lava because he completely loses his shit.

He's a good enough side character, but a protagonist? Nah.

I'm a huge LOTR fan but I cannot get excited for video games in its setting, because the main story has already been told. There's nothing of significance left. Side stories like this aren't interesting to me.

I really hope someone starts to do games (or movies) from earlier ages, preferably some stories that have roughly been told in the Silmarillion.

Yeah that always bothered me that any The Lord of the Rings game has to follow the set cannon. I'm not kidding it's part of the clause that Sauron can never win.:(

For me this has potential. I enjoy stealth action games like Assassin's Creeds but whether or not I enjoy this would be very much dependent upon details of the game and its storytelling.

I really hope someone starts to do games (or movies) from earlier ages, preferably some stories that have roughly been told in the Silmarillion.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind something based on a different age or location in Middle-earth. Most of all though, I wish everyone would stop copying the visual style of the movies. That's a big turn-off for me.

I would like a post lord of the rings setting. Tolkien was intending to write a sequel and was part of the way through already. I'm sure an interesting plot could be hammered out from the outline of his writing, although I would want someone to actually write the book first, based on Tolkien's work, who is capable of literature.

Yeah that always bothered me that any The Lord of the Rings game has to follow the set cannon. I'm not kidding it's part of the clause that Sauron can never win.:(

Good!

Good that severely limits what type of game you can develop. EA talked about this problem with the Battle for Middle Earth strategy games. Even Shadows of Mordor.

The damn endings were depressing as hell. All tied to Sauron.

Back
Top Bottom