Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced - Page 5 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced

Default Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced

December 15th, 2019, 01:43
Originally Posted by you View Post
Either scum save or don't it is not a feature of the game but a feature of the player.
When a battle can take an hour through three phases and you die on the third phase because you weren't prepared or didn't quickly enough understand what had to be done pretty much means you have to savescum unless you enjoy replaying hour long battles.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#81

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 03:03
If you are a save scumming sort don't complain if the game allows you to be what you are; if you are religiously against save scumming then don't complain if others save scum. The game allows maximum flexibility by allowing players to play as they wish.

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
When a battle can take an hour through three phases and you die on the third phase because you weren't prepared or didn't quickly enough understand what had to be done pretty much means you have to savescum unless you enjoy replaying hour long battles.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#82

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,593
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 03:07
This thread just reminds me I still have to finish Valkyria Chronicles & Valkyria Chronicles 4. Yes seems I barely finish most games as new games pull me away. Damn Steam Sales.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Lazy Layabout

#83

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 21,791
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 04:15
Originally Posted by you View Post
If you are a save scumming sort don't complain if the game allows you to be what you are; if you are religiously against save scumming then don't complain if others save scum. The game allows maximum flexibility by allowing players to play as they wish.
You're missing my point entirely but okay.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#84

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 04:16
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
This thread just reminds me I still have to finish Valkyria Chronicles & Valkyria Chronicles 4. Yes seems I barely finish most games as new games pull me away. Damn Steam Sales.
Yep, same happens to me. Too many cool games out there.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#85

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 04:58
I don't habitually save during the battle sequences, but I do enjoy a game that lets me save exactly when I feel like stopping, and for that reason I give thanks. I should be able to save and stop when I feel/need to do so, not have to play or hunt another ten minutes for some save spot that the developer threw in where they thought it "should" be.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#86

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,310
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 11:40
No. I understood your point. You have problem with the combat so you save scum. Personally I could care less if people save scum or not. However, mentioning that you like to savescum seemed kind of an odd point to make - and the way you expressed it (after all scum is a loaded term) suggested it was a negative of the game. Anyway enjoy your save scumming.

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
You're missing my point entirely but okay.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#87

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,593
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 15:52
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
still never got through 3. Game is good though, but a bit too easy with the save during battle feature. You can easily savescum in every fight.
There is 3? Never heard about it.

It's true you can save after every move in both VC and VC4. Unless you need to go for a coffee or something I have no idea why would you do that really. Assuming you've unlocked special powers in your squadmates. If you didn't, well, I guess you'd want to avoid the penalties kicking in randomly, but then again who fastruns games on this site?! For all I know everyone here explores the most if not all of the possible sidecontent in every title.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#88

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 21,636
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 16:19
There is sort of a 3; it just isn't a PC 3. IT is suppose to be better than the awful VC-2 but did not make it to the west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyria_Chronicles_III

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
There is 3? Never heard about it.

It's true you can save after every move in both VC and VC4. Unless you need to go for a coffee or something I have no idea why would you do that really. Assuming you've unlocked special powers in your squadmates. If you didn't, well, I guess you'd want to avoid the penalties kicking in randomly, but then again who fastruns games on this site?! For all I know everyone here explores the most if not all of the possible sidecontent in every title.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#89

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - no longer boston
Posts: 7,593
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 17:57
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
There is 3? Never heard about it.
Well based on your past replies you wouldn't like Valkyria Chronicles 2&3.

As you can only play them on the PSP or an emulator on the PC. They are very similar to the Legends of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel games based on Academy classes.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Lazy Layabout

#90

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 21,791
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 18:57
Now hearing Couch liken the third game to Trails of Cold Steel makes me want to play it!! Maybe it will make the trip to computer venues for us at some point in the future.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#91

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,310
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 19:11
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Now hearing Couch liken the third game to Trails of Cold Steel makes me want to play it!! Maybe it will make the trip to computer venues for us at some point in the future.
Well let me clarify the comabt is the same in all Valkyria Chronicle games, but you play as a class of students that go on various missions. That's where the similarities lie.

You also have to research new weapons and get scores based on your combat missions.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Lazy Layabout

#92

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 21,791
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Default 

December 15th, 2019, 23:12
Originally Posted by you View Post
No. I understood your point. You have problem with the combat so you save scum. Personally I could care less if people save scum or not. However, mentioning that you like to savescum seemed kind of an odd point to make - and the way you expressed it (after all scum is a loaded term) suggested it was a negative of the game. Anyway enjoy your save scumming.
I said I would have preferred shorter battles that don't encourage savescumming. I do savescum because I don't want to redo 45 minutes of a battle because some impossible to forecast battle phase was introduced that killed me. I'd like shorter but fiercer battles with less impossible twists thrown in so you can finish it in one run.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#93

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

December 16th, 2019, 17:43
Yow - we've got very different ideas as to what is save-scumming, @TheRealFluent! If you're just loading because you got wiped out and don't want to repeat a bunch of content, that's not save-scumming in my view. Save-scumming is a way to get around the random number generator or your own weak eye/hand coordination.

You could get through a battle that you're actually not good enough to deal with simply by saving the game after every lucky shot and re-loading when the dice are against you - then keep re-loading until the dice go your way. That's save-scumming: you're deliberately making the game easier by effectively removing the random numbers.

The dexterity version is basically the same thing. Back toward the end in the original Tomb Raider, I would save after every jump because I missed so often. Instead of getting good enough to make 5 jumps in a row, I abused the save system to make up for my weak skills.

If you're just going along and manage to get yourself defeated, though, that's just normal game playing. You're not trying to cheat, you're just playing the game.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#94

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,676
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

December 16th, 2019, 18:11
I do enjoy the companionship you feel from doing missions with school mates, I've played several other games that use that device and for the most part I remember enjoying it. The people involved would likely just be a bit younger than, say, their military counter-parts.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#95

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,310
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

December 17th, 2019, 03:41
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Yow - we've got very different ideas as to what is save-scumming, @TheRealFluent! If you're just loading because you got wiped out and don't want to repeat a bunch of content, that's not save-scumming in my view. Save-scumming is a way to get around the random number generator or your own weak eye/hand coordination.

You could get through a battle that you're actually not good enough to deal with simply by saving the game after every lucky shot and re-loading when the dice are against you - then keep re-loading until the dice go your way. That's save-scumming: you're deliberately making the game easier by effectively removing the random numbers.

The dexterity version is basically the same thing. Back toward the end in the original Tomb Raider, I would save after every jump because I missed so often. Instead of getting good enough to make 5 jumps in a row, I abused the save system to make up for my weak skills.

If you're just going along and manage to get yourself defeated, though, that's just normal game playing. You're not trying to cheat, you're just playing the game.
I see what you're saying, yeah, we were talking about different things. It was just weird having to save mid battle because some crazy difficult plot twist might come next that blows up your whole effort in the previous moments of combat. Not a huge complaint but it felt weird to me.
TheRealFluent is offline

TheRealFluent

TheRealFluent's Avatar
H.O.O. Inquisitor

#96

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch