Overfall - Preview @ MicBeMac

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MicBeMac has previewed Overfall that was recently funded on Kickstarter:
Welcome to a gorgeous, stylistic adventure RPG for the explorer in you. Brought to us by indie developers Pera Games, Overfall is staged to be an open world exploration RPG set on the high seas in a beautifully hand drawn environment. They have recently completed their Kickstarter campaign and full development is under way.

I got a chance recently to play through the demo for Overfall. You quickly set sale into the hand drawn environments with a couple of characters in tow. A brave fighter is accompanied by a very useful cleric as the starting classes available in the demo.

Though the current available archetypes for each character are relatively straightforward, the fighter deals massive melee damage, and the cleric works on healing and buffs, there is still a lot of potential for unique characters within the fantasy setting. The world is filled with interesting characters and creatures, from giant pig men, to goblins, to pirates and of course elves. These characters are set aside from other games by the cartoonish, but extremely detailed artwork.

This artwork expands into the environment as the backgrounds are gorgeous, and filled with color and life. The high seas are also filled with activity and dozens of islands to explore, though only a few were available in the demo.

The other thing that will grab you in this game is the witty dialogue. It happened more than once through my play through that I would think something quite witty and funny to myself, just as my character on screen would almost read my mind and say something similar. The developers obviously know how to make fun of both themselves and the general tropes of similar games and take advantage of that to instill a great deal of humor into the game.

Combat takes place in turned base format on a hexagonal map. A unique twist added here is the use of various combat stages for each turn. All characters can take multiple actions each turn this way, with a variety of different abilities available depending on what stage they are in. Rather than using magic points or something similar, these skills are all on cool downs and can’t be used two turns in a row, meaning you will have to carefully plan how to use your skills each turn or be potentially stuck in a prickly position.

If they continue on this path, Pera Games should have a winner for themselves. Though the Kickstarter is over with, you can certainly support the development by following the developers on Twitter where they have shown to be active and supportive of their community.
More information.

Back
Top Bottom