Gamasutra - The Past and Future of the Roguelike

That's just a shitty attitude about it. If I like any game and can afford to support it, I do. Not all IAPs are "evil", either.

That's not what I said. I said that when a game is IAP heavy I will never buy anything. These are the types of games that pop up with $100 deals to buy in game items. I have no problem if a game just wants to sell me an expansion pack or gives me the demo for free but I have to pay to unlock the full game. But if a game puts their main focus on fleecing "whales" of hundreds of dollars, I will never spend a cent on it, even though some of those games end up being fun despite themselves.

That's not what I said. I said that when a game is IAP heavy I will never buy anything. These are the types of games that pop up with $100 deals to buy in game items. I have no problem if a game just wants to sell me an expansion pack or gives me the demo for free but I have to pay to unlock the full game. But if a game puts their main focus on fleecing "whales" of hundreds of dollars, I will never spend a cent on it, even though some of those games end up being fun despite themselves.

Some people have a lot of extra money they like to spend on their hobbies. If someone wants to buy a $100 in-game item, that's their business. I don't see how that affects me or anyone else playing the game at all. Don't want to spend that kind of money on a game? Don't. There are other options.

People spend way more than that. $100 is just for a single purchase. People have been known to spend thousands of dollars on a freemium game, even more in extreme cases. These are the "whales", the people who spend massive amounts of money on in game items. Ultimately these are the customers that a successful IAP game cares about because they make up the majority of their profits. I have to disagree that this type of game design does not negatively impact anyone else playing the game.

Some people have a lot of extra money they like to spend on their hobbies. If someone wants to buy a $100 in-game item, that's their business. I don't see how that affects me or anyone else playing the game at all. Don't want to spend that kind of money on a game? Don't. There are other options.

People spend way more than that. $100 is just for a single purchase. People have been known to spend thousands of dollars on a freemium game, even more in extreme cases. These are the "whales", the people who spend massive amounts of money on in game items. Ultimately these are the customers that a successful IAP game cares about because they make up the majority of their profits. I have to disagree that this type of game design does not negatively impact anyone else playing the game.

What kind of games are you playing that have this? I can send you a list of some fun Android RPGs and games that don't have thousands of dollars worth of IAPs if you'd like.

Products might be structured around bottlenecks: players buy items to open up playtime.

For example, during the short time spent over Anno Online, it appears it had many bottlenecks, schemes like buying virtual money with real money (the incentive was speculative: virtual money might end with a higher value through ways to multiply it)
Players who wanted to play free set up their schedules around the product: they popped in every few hours to consume their playtime until the next opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom