Mutant Year Zero - XCOM meets stealthy RPG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted an article about Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden on PC Gamer:

XCOM meets stealthy RPG in the seriously cool Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

Former Hitman designers have gotten back together to build an exciting RPG around an XCOM core.
If you thought XCOM + Mario was a weird pitch for a videogame, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is here to blow your mind with an even more bizarre pitch: XCOM + Howard the Duck. Plus sealth. Plus, uh, about 30 years of RPG heritage pulled from a Swedish pen-and-paper game called Mutant that first debuted in 1984. This videogame is weird as hell. After watching an hour demo and drilling the developers for more details, I also think it's going to be really fucking cool.

Genetically mutated animals and humans are scavenging and fighting to survive in the post-apocalypse. Exploration of Mutant's near-future post-apocalyptic setting adds the biggest twist to XCOM's formula, with characters to level up, loot to find, and a story to unravel. It also gives you the opportunity to stealthily roam around an area before triggering combat. Like a typical RPG, everything plays out in real time as you're roaming around the world. Once you start a fight, though—or get spotted while you're trying to get into position—it's pure, tactical XCOM.
[...]
Mutant Year Zero might be the first strategy game I've seen built in Unreal Engine 4, and even the dark forest map I saw demoed looked gorgeous. The environment is packed with swaying ferns, shadows and soft lights blanket every area, and there's a ton of detail to be seen when you zoom in on a character to take a shot. I expect it to be a game much like Divinity: Original Sin 2, where it's more effective to take in the whole battlefield at once, but I'll keep zooming in to admire the art.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
is out this year, which hopefully means we'll get to see more of its story and exploration in the near future.
More information.

Is this how turn-based combat returns to RPGs? Who knew all we had to do was change the name to 'XCOM mashup'?

While I'm not a huge fan of the direction XCOM took in relation to the originals (still enjoyed them both though), if it leads to more games as awesome as this one looks it was a bloody great move. And in an RPG this combat system is far more appealing to me than the action variety which has been the most common the last ten years.

Last edited:
Not a fan of this game but if others like more power to them. I would love to see more modern X-Com inspired games, and I believe a few are in development.

It is unprecedented that I download the full earlier MYZ gameplay video - 900MB - from YT and watch it closely, winding back, pausing, analyzing the UI. Yeah. Usually AAA games are such junk nowadays that I only skip long videos in 20 seconds.

Yes, it is vewy vewy cartoony.

I believe the PnP roots are as well, and it doesn't bother me at all as long as the gameplay is good. I actually really like the "Dark and Cartoony" as opposed to the oh so popular dark and gritty. Booooring.

The maps are also very cluttered, again just like DOS.

X com core, stealth rpg.

2018 and a product introducing ambushing only is seen as a combo of stuff.

JA 3 featured ambushing and being ambushed, plus planned encounters.

The wealth of tactical situations in 2018.

The maps are also very cluttered, again just like DOS.

Now this I can agree is a nuisance, didn't think about it when watching the video though.

Back
Top Bottom