|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

Default The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

October 10th, 2018, 18:03
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Are we outraged about this? I lose track.
We are supposed to be outraged about everything at all times!

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 18:03
I have not been following this, but Henry Cavill being cast as the Witcher has caught my attention. He is a good actor, from what I saw in the latest Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movie that I saw. He was the bad guy, and he was good at it.

I also saw another interview where he talked about that he is actually a gamer in real life, which is pretty cool.

I have heard that they were turning the show into a social justice warrior propaganda vehicle, which to be honest, since it is a Hollywood production (I'm assuming), isn't the most surprising thing to hear these days. But of course, who can know for sure until the first episode is out.

I will definitely watch the first episode, and see if I get a whiff of any political agenda. I am very sensitive to it in terms of that I can pick up on it really quickly, so hopefully if they are putting in that stuff they will do it in a very subtle way and not ruin the entertainment factor of the show…no one wants to be lectured to as if we are in church and little kids, I wish the lefty types in Hollywood would get that through their heads.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 18:09
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I have not been following this, but Henry Cavill being cast as the Witcher has caught my attention. He is a good actor, from what I saw in the latest Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movie that I saw. He was the bad guy, and he was good at it.

I also saw another interview where he talked about that he is actually a gamer in real life, which is pretty cool.

I have heard that they were turning the show into a social justice warrior propaganda vehicle, which to be honest, since it is a Hollywood production (I'm assuming), isn't the most surprising thing to hear these days. But of course, who can know for sure until the first episode is out.

I will definitely watch the first episode, and see if I get a whiff of any political agenda. I am very sensitive to it in terms of that I can pick up on it really quickly, so hopefully if they are putting in that stuff they will do it in a very subtle way and not ruin the entertainment factor of the show…no one wants to be lectured to as if we are in church and little kids, I wish the lefty types in Hollywood would get that through their heads.
Social justice warrior propaganda is guaranteed given who the show runner is and the rest of the writer's team. The question is how much of that you going to get in the show… Anyway I will still watch it

lostforever

SasqWatch

October 10th, 2018, 18:19
I'd take "it's gonna be SJW propaganda!!!" with a huge grain of salt. While i hate it i've never seen a show (or a game) where it has been the driving force of it. Something like that would be pretty hard to pull off.

As for Henry Cavill.. i'm neutral, there's nothing good or bad i can say before i've seen him as Geralt tbh… can't say i've seen many movies with him, not that i can remember at least.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

October 10th, 2018, 18:45
re: Henry Cavill. Yea, I didn't really know who he was before this movie, because I hadn't seen any of the Superman films…You might want to rent the latest Mission Impossible movie, titled "Fallout" (funnily enough) It's a good popcorn type action flick. Henry Cavill plays the young guy with a beard, you can see him in the trailer as a sort of rival but at the same time team member to Tom Cruise. They have a pretty good fight at the end of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb49-oV0F78
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 18:48
Cavill was fantastic in The Tudors - his best stuff to date. I'd dismiss this show as a long shot but Netflix has deep pockets and Cavill is a good choice. I can't say I loved Altered Carbon though so I'm still a bit of a skeptic.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 19:11
2 amateurs
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 19:49
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I read that in the first book Yennefer is supposed to look 20 so so rt of make sense but its hard to get rid of the game's Yennefer (who is supposed to be 70ish) out of my mind!
Where from did you get "70ish" from lost?
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

zahratustra

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 20:06
Is Ciri going to be like 12 years old or something?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 20:16
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Is Ciri going to be like 12 years old or something?
Yep.
The TV show will depict the events of the books (that's why queen Calanthe is well and alive), ten years before the events of the games.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 20:47
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
The whole internet was wrong.
As always, dear CouchPotato, as always…
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

October 11th, 2018, 03:56
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
2 amateurs
Were you expecting 2 kids with 30 years experience?
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

October 11th, 2018, 11:40
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
Where from did you get "70ish" from lost?
I was wrong on her age. She is about 100 in game.

She was born in 1173 and W1 - 3 takes place around 1273/1274

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Yennefer
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_(game)

lostforever

SasqWatch

October 11th, 2018, 11:41
Originally Posted by Winterfart View Post
Yep.
The TV show will depict the events of the books (that's why queen Calanthe is well and alive), ten years before the events of the games.
Ciri is supposed to be 22/23 in game so 12 in the books make sense.

lostforever

SasqWatch

October 11th, 2018, 11:43
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
2 amateurs
Well this is what Got cast looked liked at the start… they were amateurs too

lostforever

SasqWatch

October 11th, 2018, 12:06
With regard to Yennefer, I only know her from the game, where she was a sort of vampy, feisty British type. We have plenty of actresses who could do that. But perhaps, from the books, a different interpretation is conceivable?
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

October 11th, 2018, 12:48
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
With regard to Yennefer, I only know her from the game, where she was a sort of vampy, feisty British type. We have plenty of actresses who could do that. But perhaps, from the books, a different interpretation is conceivable?
She is like this in the books as well but she is supposed to be very young (20ish, used magic) looking, slender and not very tall even with heels. So this actress does looks the part but she does not come across as vampy/feisty in her photos but I have not seen her act. I thought the game version of Yen looked more like 30+…

lostforever

SasqWatch

October 11th, 2018, 12:52
Apparently she was plucked from drama school to play Hero at Shakepeare's Globe, where she was nominated for theatrical awards. So she has some chops. I'll be curious to see what she does with the role.

EDIT: Funnily enough, Kate Beckinsale also played Hero. And she had no trouble becoming a vampy warrior a few years later.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 11th, 2018, 12:59
I wouldn't care much about Yen actress photo. No reason to get trapped into looks matters and nothing else - it got us Jessica Alba boredom(s). Besides, remember RL, cute doesn't instantly mean good, especially if the cute is aware of their cuteness and abuses it.

If the text will be good enough, with just a bit of talent the actress she should be able to effectively present the deadly mistress of doom evil bitch role. I honestly hope she'll make another Dartagnan's nightmare.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

October 11th, 2018, 13:37
Yes, it's all about the writing and the direction. I almost always hold that side of things responsible. Actors are rarely the problem if the material and director are good enough. In the case of many shows that I don't like, I often think it's a terrible shame to have good actors and a decent budget, and no material to do them justice.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The Witcher Netflix series begins production.