RPGWatch - New Poll

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Yeah...I let that last poll languish for a while, didn't I? With only a couple of days before BioWare's free upgrade to the Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition expires, I thought we'd look at your attitude. Have you preordered to get the upgrade, would like to but just haven't seen enough information about the changes to Dragon Age 2 or perhaps you hate this whole DLC enticement system? Hit the link on the top right to vote in the poll thread.
More information.

Was too disapointed with DA1 to have much interest in DA2.

If I ever purchase it, it will be at bargain price in several years.

The poll lacks the choice I would choose: I do not care, even though I am interested in the game.

I liked DA, but hearing what they did with DA2 I'm not interested in it a bit. Maybe some day, when Steam offers the 'gold platinum mega edition' for $10 I'll give it a try.

signature, shmignature… after letting myself fall for the hype of recent rpgs only to be very disappointed, I will wait a good while after DA2 comes out before considering it.

I had fun with DA Origins but was very disappointed with the onslaught of DLC . DA2 not only looks and sounds unappealing to me but they start right where the left off with all the DLC.Day 1 DLC is an insult to consumers and gamers.

Party based RPGs are not my thing .
I didn't like Origins even if i overlook the party setup , DLCs are a no no in my books .
I am not playing it even if my brother buys and instals it ( we are in same internet workgroup ).

With DA 1 you got 2 or 3 DLC things just for buying the game new (regular edition). Unless someone resold their copy of it and hadn't used their codes you would have to pay for that same DLC if you wanted it in a used copy of the game. Which makes sense...they want more people buying the game NEW.

The only thing remotely bitch worthy about this is the fact that it's only included for free in the signature edition. And really? You're going to bitch about that? I mean come on, you can BUY the DLC separately probably for LESS money than it would cost to buy the signature edition and get it for "free". To gripe about people buying a MORE EXPENSIVE version of the game getting a little free crap is kinda silly.

If day one DLC is an insult to you ya might as well be preparing yourself to be "insulted" pretty frequently for the foreseeable future...because it ain't going away.

As for DA2...eh, I STILL haven't even finished the first one. I've gone fairly far a couple times and then just lose interest. Might have to try it with some mods next time. I doubt I'll pay more than $20 for DA2 and will definitely be waiting to see exactly how much content is in any DLC before bothering to pay for it.

I am not a big fan of DLC. I feel they are to expensive compared to what they offer and they offer to little to make a real impact in the game. I much rather have expansions.

However I don't really have a problem with what Bioware is doing here. Preorder numbers are afaik a pretty big deal for a company, so if they want to offer extra for pre ordering I don't have a problem with it unless it makes the game without it feel incomplete.

Edit: One thing though I dislike about the first DA:O in regarding to DLC, was that a small part of a DLC would already be in the game and then once you did that part you were asked to buy and download the full DLC to move on.
Thats just horrible, because that has an impact on my gaming experience.

Last edited:
My problem isn't with preorder bonuses (although I preferred the times when we all played the same game) but with a deadline three months before release and before I've seen much of the game. If there were decent previews of the PC edition and several videos, I'd be satisfied (either way). But there aren't.

No kidding. It's like they are ashamed of this one and want everyone to buy it before they actually get to see it. It sounds like a con job actually.

I didn`t care much for DLC in general until yesterday, when about 12 hrs into DA:O (second-hand, yeah) I`ve met a certain fellow named Levi Dryden.

I must say I`ve been around for quite a while and yet I don`t recall ever being so literally disgusted with a videogame. Hell, I didn`t know it`s actually possible.

So, I don`t mind being locked out of some content because of my second-hand cheapness, i`m also ok with them releasing tons of additional crap if they feel like it, but destroying a game which I just started thinking is actually pretty good is abominable. Because thats what Mr Levi, with his "Hai Grey Warden so I gots this cool story to tell ya but i need your credit card" (Nah, sorry, left it in my other armour bro) has done for me. Putting PREMIUM CONTENT & wait-here-in-imaginary-camp-while-I-snap-back-to-reality in actual game itself made my head spin.

Thanks, Bioware.

The outcome of this marketing scheme will probably define the future of similar marketing schemes … err, games.

I mean : If this is successful, then they might try it again ?

Now we know - at least this is my personal opinion, sorry - that the great sales of Dragon Age kind of "destroyed" Drakensang 2, these sales kind of defined a part of the future of the RPG genre - at least from the iew of one oof the biggest game-producing companies of the world ...

They might even become so bold as to "borrow" things and mechanics from the "destroyed" Drakensang series : Nobody is left to sue them ...

1. First step : destroy any opponents - by outselling, for example
2. Second step : exploit what's left of their carcass

Sounds like a typical Microsoft strategy of me. They did so with OS/2, for example.

Alrik, you do realize that people do actually buy more than one game as opposed to just one operating system?

Plus, Bioware isn't Wallmart where they have actual competitors selling the same goods. They might both be selling computer games, but they are two different kinds of games. You would probably see them both at Wallmart ;)

Your second step is used by every developer. They all borrow from each other except for when they actually come up with something new which is rare. You'll still have a bunch of borrowed ideas with some new ways of playing. Even our beloved CRPGs "borrowed" ideas started in D&D. It's funny how P&P RPGs are now "borrowing" ideas based off of CRPGs. :)

I don't like what they are doing anymore than anyone else, but let's try to keep the hate based in reality.

I had forgotten about that NPC in your camp selling the DLC...that is definitely NOT the way to do it and I hope they realized that at least.

The way they did it in ME2 with the Cerberus network was a little better...at least it only tried to pimp the DLC on you at the main menu. Of course I had to disconnect my internet every time I started the game or else deal with Cerberus dialing home to try and sell me crap. Still alot better than an NPC salesman in your camp though.

My problem isn't with preorder bonuses (although I preferred the times when we all played the same game) but with a deadline three months before release and before I've seen much of the game. If there were decent previews of the PC edition and several videos, I'd be satisfied (either way). But there aren't.

For me DAO has many great points and despite the weakness it's one of my favorites RPG of all time.

But it's not about DLC here but about preorder. Perhaps the mixture is new but preorder isn't new. It's for me a flawed approach and in no way I'll support that. I never preordered and will never. It makes no sense to preorder even with descent previews. Since when previews, developers comments, or anything gave you a good clue about how good is a game?

In fact logically I could preorder because even if it gets negative comments at the release I'll buy DAO2 anyway. But I won't buy this preorder to not support such approach.

I didn`t care much for DLC in general until yesterday, when about 12 hrs into DA:O (second-hand, yeah) I`ve met a certain fellow named Levi Dryden.

I must say I`ve been around for quite a while and yet I don`t recall ever being so literally disgusted with a videogame. Hell, I didn`t know it`s actually possible.

Thanks, Bioware.

Yes, I agree. Not only the in-game salesman, but also the fact that they offer high end equipment in a sort of pay to cheat offer. Another bother is that you have to be logged in to use the DLC. The sad part is that it's a pretty good game that I enjoy playing.
If I had known all this in advance, however, I might not have bought it because any enjoyment is balanced by annoyance; very frustrating sometimes. I definitely will not pay full price for the next game and will wait for a discounted complete version if I buy it at all.

edit: What's important is that I have lost any good will I had for Bioware because I feel like their goal is to make a sucker out of me.

I'll be reviewing it but if I wasn't, I'd definitely be waiting for reviews, gameplay videos, etc. before considering.

Back
Top Bottom