Original Sin - Preview @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN takes a look at Divinity: Original Sin, though I can't see anything new if you've seen the developer video or read our own article. A sample:
This kind of incredibly in depth development extends to the combat, too. Despite being turn based, it’s impressively fluid, based heavily around use and manipulation of the elements. Cast a rain spell and you’ll create a puddle that can then be electrified, evaporated or frozen, each with their own appropriate effects. There’s even the threat of slipping up on the ice, knocking yourself over for a turn. Despite being relatively simple with its elements, it’s obvious that there is that breadth of experimentation that made, say, Magicka so successful.
More information.

Larian Studios has come full circle. Ten years gone, and it's managed to go from a fledgling indie developer struggling to get a publisher to invest in their project to believing that a publisher isn’t even necessary any more.

Imho strong words !

It depends on how you look at it. AAA titles still come from publishers. Larian can self publish but they're not going to sell millions of copies that way. However, they probably don't need that many to make a profit. As long as they're satisfied with smaller overall sales, I think their margins will be better than if they had to hook up with a publisher. If they sell on Steam, then they're basically using a distibutor rather than a publisher. Distributors are cheaper, but you don't get the boxes, the shelf space at Walmart, the impluse buys, etc.

They do use publishers and distributors to distribute their games locally.
Isn't the shelf space for PC games in the US rather minimal? If so it might be a waste of money to invest in that in the US.
I know they have some deals with publishers in Europe to distribute their game locally, but you can always buy it online as well, both digitally and boxed.

They do use publishers and distributors to distribute their games locally.
Isn't the shelf space for PC games in the US rather minimal? If so it might be a waste of money to invest in that in the US.
I know they have some deals with publishers in Europe to distribute their game locally, but you can always buy it online as well, both digitally and boxed.

Well if you shop at gamestop then yes. Most other retailers have at least a whole section for boxed pc games. I usually prefer buying a boxed copy off amazon.

If the game is only available digitally like some recent games I have no choice but to buy it off steam or some other site,

As for the article itself and the comments about I find it's just the usual juvenile IGN.

These days, being referred to as not being a AAA game is more likely to get a purchase from me, tbh. Most of the indies seem to give more content, and the big bloated products are just fluff with far less content, for the most part.

-Carn

I totally agree, Carn. I was just playing Devil's Advocate to Alrik's eternal optimism for all things Larian :D I don't believe in Dragon Commander at all, but I have high hopes for OS.

I don't believe in Dragon Commander at all

I'm will probably buy Dragon Commander. I'm not really into board/RTS games, but it's Larian and they deserve support!

Well if you shop at gamestop then yes. Most other retailers have at least a whole section for boxed pc games.

I agree. I see the situation exactly the same.

These days, being referred to as not being a AAA game is more likely to get a purchase from me, tbh.

I have been feeling the same way for the last few years. The AAA stuff seems to be getting heavy doses of MTV-ization. I stayed away from DA2, not because of many of the criticisms pointed out on this board (well, actually for some of them yes), but because of all the stupid so-called mature content they put in really turned me off with how juvinile it looked. Some of the cut-scenes I saw on youtube were on par with Jersy Shore material - no thanks.

I totally agree, Carn. I was just playing Devil's Advocate to Alrik's eternal optimism for all things Larian :D

I didn't intend to say "this is true !" to my initial quote from the article. I regarded it rather as an bold statemen. I din't judge whether it is true or not.

I'm not a fool. I do know very well that small companies have failed before. See Radon Labs for that, for example. Or SEK with their Paraworld.

I don't know how you guys feel, but this game sounds freaking awesome!

I missed this game somehow. Sounds great. When's it supposed to be released?

Back
Top Bottom