Pillars of Eternity II - Obsidian Hiding DLC Codes

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN reports that Obsidian have been hiding DLC codes in Pillars of Eternity 2 screenshots.

We’re creeping in on the release date for Obsidian’s throwback RPG sequel, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. That means there have been lots of screenshots, artwork, videos, and other teases for the game, and eagle-eyed fans have noted some hidden details in all the assets. Now the developers have launched a digital scavenger hunt, and suddenly it all makes sense.

Deadfire Archipelago Explorer’s Society Scavenger Hunt is a wordy way of naming a website that lets you input codes for free Pillars 2 DLC. Those codes are hidden in “trailers, screenshots, livestreams, at events, and more,” and will unlock up to 10 items for your enjoyment in the game via the official website.

[...]
More information.

I'm playing Sims Mobile. No, not on phone, on Nox.
Here and there I'm offered to watch a commercial and get some "DLC" as reward.

Also here and there I'm showing my middlefinger to Obsidian for doing practically the same thing - in a fullpriced game that is not supposed to be a phonegarbage.
Stop copying bullshit practices from EA already!

EDIT:

Okay, it wasn't constructive criticism. I should point on positive marketing examples that won't irritate existing or potential audience. Here's one (after watching it I want that chibi, I need that chibi, desperately!):

Last edited:
Also you have to connect your forum account to STEAM for this to work. Just as an FYI.

Why on earth would I ever link my Steam account or anything I care about to another service, lol. That's basically just tossing security right out the window, no thanks, no extra content is worth compromising my library of games.

Why on earth would I ever link my Steam account or anything I care about to another service, lol. That's basically just tossing security right out the window, no thanks, no extra content is worth compromising my library of games.

Steam seems to have changed how developers generate keys. My KCD backer game key was a link with a Steam logging prompt on my Warhorse website account page and then the game appeared in my Steam account without me having to do anything else. I found that a big dodgy personally.
@booboo; The main point is marketing. The codes are mostly on promotional images, so people will share them on social media when they find the codes, expending Deadfire coverage at the same time. It was also fun to try to find what those codes were for (the first one showed up mid-January).

Dodgy is a good word for it, certainly not something I'd actually participate in. Just seems a bit silly and compromising to me.

Dodgy, how? I'm sure your gaming experience won't be ruined if you don't participate. I'm certainly not, figuring somebody will print the final list anyway.

Dodgy, how? I'm sure your gaming experience won't be ruined if you don't participate. I'm certainly not, figuring somebody will print the final list anyway.

Carnifex is talking about linking a Steam account to another website that has nothing to do with Steam and allowing that other website to access your account and perform operations like adding DLCs and games on it (and probably browse everything considering what GOG connect does).

GOG Connect now requires your account to be set to public to work (recent Steam changes before that everything was public).

So now we're supposed to get excited and flushed about some DLC?

I really don't appreciate that sort of hype and I certainly don't like the way things are going these days.

I was glad when they ended their partnership with Paradox because I blamed them for that DLC nonsense but I guess I was wrong.

To me that sort of publicity stunt has the opposite effect and I certainly won't be picking the game full price.

Calling this stuff you get from the codes "DLC" is a stretch, it's just a few items that probably don't matter at all. Like the types of things you normally get with a pre-order or whatnot. A little stupid, but easy to ignore. I don't see the problem.

It is using OpenID Connect and no it does not give it access to anything other than what you specify.

If there was a vulnerability it would very likely impact EVERYONE regardless of whether you have actually used it or not given how the protocol works. The only real weakness in Steams system is that they don't force people to use MFA although they do a pretty good job as if you don't use MFA you have reduced capability i.e. trading.

Back
Top Bottom