Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - Vogel Kickstarter

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Queen's Wish: The Conqueror is the new Kickstarter game from Jeff Vogel.

About

We are Spiderweb Software! Since 1994, our tiny little mom and pop operation has created fine, indie fantasy role-playing adventures for the gamer masses. We specialize in retro games with enormous worlds, open-ended game systems, and intricate stories.

We don't write games with good or bad guys. We create worlds in which you have the freedom to wander, choose a path, pick a side to join, and fight with them to victory.

We're really excited by this new project, and we're looking forward to sharing it with the world. However, we're very small, and art is expensive. That is why we are coming to you for help making Queen's Wish live up to its potential.

What is Queen's Wish?

We invite you to escape into the all-new world of Queen's Wish. This will hopefully be an all-new trilogy in a a unique and fascinating setting, which you will be free to remake to your liking.

You are the youngest child of Queen Sharyn, the absolute leader of the Empire of Haven. While your older siblings have grabbed fame and power, you have slid by in a life of quiet luxury. Until now.

Your mother has decided to force power upon you and send you out into the world. Your new home: The wild, war-torn land of Sacramentum. There was once a successful Haven colony there. It then fell apart, for reasons not entirely clear.

To win the Queen's favor, you must go to Sacramentum and rebuild Haven's colony. But will you? Will you crush the nations of Sacramentum and expand Haven? Make peace with them and earn a place in their lands? Or just try to escape from your mother and homeland?

It will be up to you.

Features

Queen's Wish will be a huge fantasy role-playing game for Windows, Macintosh, iPad, and possibly iPhone. It will feature an enormous world, sharp dialogue, cunning quests, and fascinating characters. It will be old-school 80's-style gaming, with a low budget but tons of clever design and charm.

Explore an enormous outdoors and search for towns and dungeons. Fight clever, carefully designed turn-based battles. Meet three different fierce nations, and deal with them with cunning, diplomacy, or (if you choose) violence.

Build new forts and customize them. Install your own smithies, shops, and furniture, giving each fortress your own unique spin. Choose how to expand your towns. The sorts of shops you specialize in will give your character different bonuses.
Thanks Vidder!

Check out our forum thread here

More information.

That's a pretty good deal! If you pirate all of their games and then pledge 75$ for the Scroll of Absolution, you save some money and remain the good guy!:)

Well it's certainly one of the least risky kickstarters around (barring, like, a heart-attack or something) considering the developer's looooooong track record of producing games they're pretty unlikely to cut-and-run.

Yeah, this isn't enough of a graphical upgrade to entice me to back. It's basically the same engine from the Exile days with crisper textures. No deal.

Wow, disappointed. Looks like he didn't even change much...

Plus, he has a bit of the crazy eyes going on there...

I thought he was going for an update here?

There is enough new customisation and choices and consequences to get me excited, and hopefully it will still run on my old laptop, so I backed it.

I hope that he will provide more details and some screens of the new engine and graphics - just to justify pre-ordering at this stage.

Bit disappointed esp with the reward tiers. No reward tier that includes old games; no early backers or tidbits (though I agree with kickstarters not offering physical goods). Basically it seems like a pre-order at retail price a year in advance. Also very much dislike the stretch goals (but I'm not an iphone person so that might help; however i do have an android phone and I still wouldn't want to play a game like this on my phone....). I guess he gets a lot of ipad sales ???

however i do have an android phone and I still wouldn't want to play a game like this on my phone….). I guess he gets a lot of ipad sales ???
Well he used to do ports for both android and ipad.

He also wrote a few articles about Apple & Android.

Link - http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2016/11/we-are-no-longer-supporting-android-sigh.html
Link - https://venturebeat.com/2015/04/27/...e-indie-role-playing-game-maker-has-left-ios/
Android doesn't make that much money. Honestly, iPad doesn't either anymore. I mainly write games for the iPad as a hobby, because it amuses me. (By the way, if you want to know why we don't develop for Linux, consider all the arguments above, but triple.)
As for this game I'll buy it eventually on a steam sale as it will be funded.

Last edited:
1) Fast forwarded to gameplay examples
2) Confirm suspicions that, yes, it will once again be the same engine
3) Wonder why this went to Kickstarter

Living Legend! of banality!

I was expecting a bit more, and I'll hope to see that in the future. In the meanwhile, here is some money for all the joy you've brought me the last twenty plus years. Keep up the excellent work!

Well, at least he's not full of baloney. He tells you what you're getting, and that's what you'll get!

I'm afraid I turned off (or at least "glazed over") when he described himself as a "living legend".

Wow, disappointed. Looks like he didn't even change much…

Plus, he has a bit of the crazy eyes going on there…

I thought he was going for an update here?

:D :D :D I think, he clearly told us the game needs money for new expensive graphics: Its possible all the graphics in the video will be updated, once the campaign succeeds.

Here's hoping that the Kickstarter money will be funding the new art and engine. I'm pretty sure that the art in the video is placeholder.

Why does this need a Kickstarter? Spiderweb Games has been releasing games for ages and it looks like they're using a lot of the same stuff as their previous games.

At the very least, I'm almost certain this is a kick starter project that will actually produce a viable, functioning game at some point. Not every project that uses the venue can claim that.

:D :D :D I think, he clearly told us the game needs money for new expensive graphics: Its possible all the graphics in the video will be updated, once the campaign succeeds.

He says he needs to buy art assets. If he was clever, though, he'd ask one of his artists for an example piece to post on the Kickstarter page, like other Kickstarters do. That would, if it was decent, probably be enough for me to back his project. As it is, I won't back another game series in the existing engine with the same recycled graphics from Avadon and Avernum, but will wait to buy it when it comes out and goes on sale.
Maybe he doesn't need to do that though, he's already got over 20% of what he's asked for.

Looks kind of interesting but not 20$ of interesting. Pass.

I'm afraid I turned off (or at least "glazed over") when he described himself as a "living legend".

Oh my shit! I didn't watch it, now I definitely won't watch it.

Back
Top Bottom