Shortlisting the GOTY 2019 - Released

Man, weak year for RPGs. I've only played a small few of those, and I think Phoenix Point is my favorite, though I don't really consider it an RPG. *shrugs*

Do all you people have nothing better to do in life than make RPG fans thoroughly depressed?

Sekiro: Genre: Action Adventure Game
Jedi Whatever: Genre: Action Adventure Game

If you say they are 'more RPG' than XYZ game then tell us the names of those games so that they can be removed. The year is already a year of watering down to the point of near drowning, adding more water does not help anyone other than trolls.

If you didn't play or enjoy or plan to play anything then just don't vote for anything. Adding stuff to the list for no other reason than you like ticking boxes in polls is absurd.

I feel Dragon Quest XI could be added.
It definetly should. While I find it mediocre, it's atrocious outdated menus design, dull story and grind will be adored by many. Here's hope DQ12 will concentrate the main story on puff-puff instead of using it as a comic relief which would make it awsome.
If Code Vein and The Surge 2 are to be added (they are good games indeed), I suggest Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order is added too. It's really a Star Wars skinned Dark Souls with a good story and a bunch of fun to be had if you do like Dark Souls-like games and can tolerate the Star Wars universe.
No. Fallen Order is a platformer with elements from other genres.
The story… I have no idea what's it really about as I can't stand platformers so will never play it, but I do know it features never mentioned anywhere else almost the most powerful inquisitor (#2 as the lead inqusitor commited a suicide, some others were killd and the whole "inquisition" disbanded which makes it… meh) and a nightsister (not okay, apart from Ventress these were all supposed to be exterminated/extinct at that point). I suggest opening a separate thread about this game because I'm actually interested in details what the game added to the existing SW lore only for sakes of milking.
Steams game of the year was Sekiro. Maybe chuck that on the list and see what happens?
When I wrote Code Vein and The Surge 2 should be added I also checked Sekiro and not a single person said it's RPG, in fact quite a few stated it's *not* RPG. As I refused to buy it (unbelievable, right?), can't be sure if that's true.

In every game you need tactics to win. I use the sub-genre name tactics RPG for RPGs that are focussed much more on tactical combat than on story and/or exploration.

In English these RPGs are often called strategy RPGs as well. In German Taktik is short term planning and Strategie is long term planning. So I prefer the term tactics.

Yes, that description of the difference between tactics and strategy is a good one. It's a bit more complicated than that of course and particularly in the realms of computer gaming genres I'd hesitate to use the phrase Strategy RPG as any game which uses strategy will invariably be more suited to the established strategy genre, even with very strong RPG elements.

In an RPG strategy can only be used if one has played through the game at least once or if one has researched spoilers on-line. Because strategy implies pre-planning, pre-meditation. Only tactics can be of the moment.

So for an RPG the only strategic aspect is character build, in that whatever build you wish to min/max is a pre-determined strategy to beat the game with. This can be extended if it's an open world RPG to include an exploration strategy to maximise specific locations at the appropriate time. And these are both things you 'plan-out' before you even start the game.

Playing an RPG for the first time blind, there's no specific strategy at all, literally everything is guesswork and hunches and genre experience carrying you through, making countless tactical decisions along the way. And these tactical decisions can be anything from combat to dialogue options.

In effect, the min/maxer turns the non-strategy game into a strategy game by breaking the game and then communicates their strategies to other gamers, infecting their games with strategy. The game itself, however, is not a strategy game in any way shape or form, and shouldn't be, upon first play.

Regards tactics, as I said, dialogue options can be tactical. You can have a non-combat RPG that is a purely tactical RPG, because you might, for example, be choosing to expose one character in order to favour another character, which suits your tactical position within the game's NPC community.

Which is why I'd shy away from using the term tactical RPG, because the word tactical is as meaningless as any other random word without additional clarification, such as tactical combat or tactical dialogue or whatever. Just saying tactical RPG is basically saying RPG.

If you want to communicate that the game plays like a more RPG'ish X-Com then that's a different kettle of fish and X-Com-like or X-Com inspired or whatever might be more fitting as X-Com has already cornered the genre market for team tactical combat mission-based game.

So if the game is not 'a bit like X-Com', in that it has most of the usual trappings of an RPG, but the primary focus of gameplay is playing a team of characters who engage in lots of in-depth and well designed combat, then I don't see why just RPG isn't suitable. By adding the 'well duh' moniker of tactical you'd be putting more people off the game while at the same time propagating the notion that tactical can only mean combat.

When I first heard the term 'tactical RPG' it was when @JDR13; used it to disparage Blackguards, to which, obviously, I argued with him. I mean, yes, Blackguards does have some tactical focus, but I wouldn't say it outweighs either story or exploration, ok, possibly exploration to a small degree but this will depend on semantics: If you imagine the game to be a first-person perspective exploration game which converts to an isometric combat map for combat then it's not much different in exploration to a Gold Box game.

I can't for the life of me understand how Blackguards would be described as a tactics game rather than just a regular RPG, and, even like myself, this whole attitude towards it is very off-putting and I didn't even give it a try until it was recommended by very specific people. I honestly don't get it, it's basically using the term tactics to be inaccurate short-hand for turn-based teamwork comabt? You mean, like, what most people refer(ed?) to as… a normal RPG?

Should change the title to RPG of the year if that’s the intent. GOTY can include any game from any genre.

Let's keep the short list of games to a maximum of 30. It is already long enough. If you feel a game should be added to that list of 30, then also say what game has to be removed in your opinion. I don't want to make the short list longer.

I'm fine with making the short list shorter though :)

And adding a game to the short list that isn't on the long list is not going to happen.

In German Taktik is short term planning and Strategie is long term planning. So I prefer the term tactics.

Would be surprising that any german military manual used in military school teaches that way.

In an RPG strategy can only be used if one has played through the game at least once or if one has researched spoilers on-line. Because strategy implies pre-planning, pre-meditation. Only tactics can be of the moment.

Tactics can only be of the moment in UgoIgo (and yet) Elsewhere, they require a global view so to plan ahead and enforce ways to favour an outcome. Reconnoissance is mandatory. It is one of the major differences and convenience brought by UgoIgo: allowing ignorance of the upcoming elements of a battle.

Elsewhere, knowing the enemy forces, the terrain or anything else is mostly wanted in order to put out adequate tactics.

As to the long term thing, once again, streaming demonstrates the opposite.
Developping builds is long term thinking. Streamers usually have no time to play a product before streaming it for a first run so they go blind.
And they get their builds correctly.
Because they follow a generic template they project against.

It is generic enough they project at ease. They already know what is coming.

The discussion is about the list of games and not what tactics and strategy means, so take that elsewhere.

I think that was assumed anyway as soon as it attracted the infamous chien :D But now you mention it, it might make for an interesting topic. If only I could figure out a way for the thread to be unattractive to chien...

While I played and enjoyed both AoW: PF and Phoenix Point none of those games should be on the RPG list in my opinion, and I feel the same way about Druidstone which is more of a puzzle game to me.

This will be a hard year to choose, because I've played so few actual RPG's. And picking a winner based on it being the only (or one if the few) RPG I've played certainly doesn't seem right…

Last edited:
At least you played one. I would have to vote based on what I've wish-listed!

Well, that's the thing, Slay the Spire is the only one I've played as well... but... I didn't really play it this year, I uninstalled it this year :D

According to Steam my first achievement in the game was attained on 20th Feb 2018 and the last achievement I earned, my 38th/44, was 26th Oct 2018 and of the 303 hours it says I've played I should think maybe 5-10% of that would have been 2019.

And then it's not really something I'd vote for in this poll anyway as it wasn't really what I'd call a regular epic RPG, or even semi-epic RPG, but just one of those games you keep on your browser to play when you're bored and don't want to get into anything long-term, you know, like firing up Minesweeper or solitaire.

And while the game kind-of has an end, a very quick one, it's more roguelike in that the real aim of the game upon completion is to do the same thing again on a harder map, to which the purpose of that is to unlock the same map but harder again, etc ad infinitum. It also has luck-based perma-death, which is another sign it's more roguelike if you were to pin it down to a genre beyond the relatively new Deck Building genre.

If I could vote for it to be in my 8th-10th place instead of being my 1-3rd then I'd probably vote for it.

Steams game of the year was Sekiro. Maybe chuck that on the list and see what happens?
Sekiro is labeled as a Non-RPG in our database, which is why it is not in the list. I also moved the Age of Wonders and Fantasy General games to Non-RPG

Using the same method as before, tweaked with some of the feedback in this thread, I now have this list of 30 games:

Borderlands 3
Breach
Disco Elysium
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
Fade to Silence
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Forged of Blood
GOD WARS The Complete Legend
Greedfall
Grimshade
Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
My Time At Portia
Nomads of the Fallen Star
Operencia: The Stolen Sun
Outward
Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory
Pathway
Phoenix Point
Queen's Wish: The Conqueror
Rogue Empire: Dungeon Crawler RPG
Rune II
Shenmue 3
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Sunless Skies
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
The Outer Worlds
The Sinking City
Thea 2: The Shattering
Theseus: Journey to Athens
WARSAW

Using the h-index (see discussion in the most anticipated thread), the following is the sorted long list of games:
Title | Genre | News Posts | Comment s| Ratio | h-index
The Outer Worlds|Action-RPG|47|907|18.9|18
Phoenix Point|Tactical RPG|97|1044|10.7|16
Greedfall|RPG|40|656|16.0|14
Disco Elysium|RPG|47|356|7.4|12
Queen's Wish: The Conqueror|RPG|16|499|29.4|12
Outward|RPG|33|333|9.8|11
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest|Tactical RPG|21|258|11.7|10
Operencia: The Stolen Sun|Dungeon Crawler|13|184|13.1|9
Shenmue 3|RPG|53|289|5.4|9
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones|RPG|28|190|6.6|9
Rune II|Action-RPG|26|152|5.6|8
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark|Tactical RPG|19|123|6.2|7
Pathway|Adventure-RPG|10|91|8.3|7
Forged of Blood|Tactical RPG|22|154|6.7|6
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw|Adventure-RPG|11|64|5.3|6
The Sinking City|Adventure-RPG|26|102|3.8|6
Thea 2: The Shattering|Strategy-RPG|19|73|3.6|6
Din's Legacy|Action-RPG|14|41|2.7|5
Grimshade|Tactical RPG|11|71|5.9|5
Sunless Skies|Adventure-RPG|22|70|3.0|5
The Surge 2|Action-RPG|23|47|2.0|5
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night|Metroidvania RPG|18|64|3.4|4
Element: Space|Tactical RPG|9|58|5.8|4
Fade to Silence|Action-RPG|6|50|7.1|4
Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox|RPG|25|101|3.9|4
Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory|RPG|7|51|6.4|4
WARSAW|RPG|6|47|6.7|4
Borderlands 3|Shooter-RPG|5|45|7.5|3
Breach|Action-RPG|5|40|6.7|3
Children of Morta|Roguelike|9|16|1.6|3
Crying Suns|Roguelike|6|32|4.6|3
Cube World|RPG|8|23|2.6|3
Eternity: The Last Unicorn|Action-RPG|6|36|5.1|3
GOD WARS The Complete Legend|Tactical RPG|3|16|4.0|3
Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements|RPG|45|54|1.2|3
My Time At Portia|Adventure-RPG|8|52|5.8|3
Octopath Traveler|J-RPG|6|28|4.0|3
Slay the Spire|Card-Based RPG|8|27|3.0|3
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition|J-RPG|6|25|3.6|3
Theseus: Journey to Athens|Adventure-RPG|6|46|6.6|3
Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions|Strategy-RPG|5|27|4.5|3
Warhammer: Chaosbane|Action-RPG|15|40|2.5|3
Age of Fear: The Free World|Strategy-RPG|2|7|2.3|2
Ashes of Oahu|Shooter-RPG|2|13|4.3|2
Code Vein|Action-RPG|24|14|0.6|2
Dark Future: Blood Red States|Strategy-RPG|7|17|2.1|2
Dauntless|Action-RPG|5|33|5.5|2
Dungeon Of Dragon Knight|Dungeon Crawler|3|24|6.0|2
Eastshade|Adventure-RPG|2|9|3.0|2
Everreach: Project Eden|Action-RPG|2|16|5.3|2
Feudal Alloy|Metroidvania RPG|3|12|3.0|2
Galaxy Squad|Tactical RPG|2|6|2.0|2
Hardland|Adventure-RPG|3|10|2.5|2
Hartacon Tactics |Strategy-RPG|5|7|1.2|2
Heretic Operative|Strategy-RPG|5|10|1.7|2
It Lurks Below|Action-RPG|4|14|2.8|2
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown|RPG|4|20|4.0|2
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered|Action-RPG|4|11|2.2|2
Nomads of the Fallen Star|Strategy-RPG|2|21|7.0|2
Nowhere Prophet|Card-Based RPG|3|11|2.8|2
Robothorium|Strategy-RPG|6|5|0.7|2
Rogue Empire: Dungeon Crawler RPG|Roguelike|3|27|6.8|2
Silk|Adventure-RPG|2|8|2.7|2
Sin Slayers|Roguelike|5|11|1.8|2
Six Ages|RPG|4|12|2.4|2
Spaceland|Tactical RPG|3|14|3.5|2
SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest|Strategy-RPG|5|10|1.7|2
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech|Card-Based RPG|3|9|2.2|2
Streets of Rogue|Roguelike|4|6|1.2|2
Swords & Souls: Neverseen|Action-RPG|2|6|2.0|2
A Legionary's Life|RPG|3|2|0.5|1
Codex Temondera: Lost Vision|Adventure-RPG|3|3|0.8|1
Death end re;Quest|J-RPG|1|5|2.5|1
Detective Girl of the Steam City|RPG|1|1|0.5|1
Dungeon Scavenger|Dungeon Crawler|1|1|0.5|1
Dungeons of Legend: Cast Within|Dungeon Crawler|1|10|5.0|1
Emberlight|Dungeon Crawler|3|1|0.2|1
Golden Treasure: The Great Green|Adventure-RPG|2|2|0.7|1
Indivisible|Action-RPG|11|4|0.3|1
Legend of Cenama|J-RPG|1|1|0.5|1
Life is Strange 2|Adventure-RPG|1|10|5.0|1
Micronomicon: Heroes|Tactical RPG|1|7|3.5|1
ONINAKI|J-RPG|5|5|0.8|1
Please The Gods|Adventure-RPG|2|2|0.7|1
Quest Hunter|Action-RPG|2|6|2.0|1
Rebel Cops|Tactical RPG|2|4|1.3|1
Romancing SaGa 3|J-RPG|1|8|4.0|1
Second Coming|Adventure-RPG|2|5|1.7|1
Shards of Azuria|Adventure-RPG|2|1|0.3|1
Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption|Action-RPG|3|3|0.8|1
Starcom: Nexus|Action-RPG|1|11|5.5|1
Staxel|Adventure-RPG|11|1|0.1|1
Tactics V: Obsidian Brigade|Tactical RPG|2|8|2.7|1
Talisman: Origins|Strategy-RPG|1|2|1.0|1
Tanzia|Action-RPG|9|3|0.3|1
The Caligula Effect: Overdose|J-RPG|1|4|2.0|1
Titan Outpost|Adventure-RPG|1|7|3.5|1
To Light: Ex Umbra|RPG|2|2|0.7|1
Vambrace: Cold Soul|RPG|1|1|0.5|1
Virgo Versus The Zodiac|J-RPG|1|3|1.5|1
Atelier Lulua ~The Scion of Arland~ |J-RPG|0|0|0.0|0
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret Hideout|J-RPG|1|0|0.0|0
Cthulhu Saves Christmas|J-RPG|1|0|0.0|0
Danger Crew|Adventure-RPG|1|0|0.0|0
End of Realms|RPG|1|0|0.0|0
MISTOVER|Strategy-RPG|3|0|0.0|0
Sail and Sacrifice|Adventure-RPG|1|0|0.0|0
The Dragons' Twilight II|RPG|0|0|0.0|0
Zanki Zero: Last Beginning|Dungeon Crawler|1|0|0.0|0

Using the h-index as criteria, the short list would end at WARSAW (27 games).

Sekiro is labeled as a Non-RPG in our database, which is why it is not in the list. I also moved the Age of Wonders and Fantasy General games to Non-RPG
Ahh, what is an RPG? The age old question!

Anyway, grats to Outer Worlds, I guess. :p

Back
Top Bottom