Siege of Dragonspear Released for iOS and Android

txa1265

SasqWatch
Same game, different platforms ... I grabbed the iPad version and played a couple of hours. No technical issues, and performance was quite good. The game is the game - so if you had issues with story, etc ... stay away. If you have played the other games in the series - BG, BG2, IWD and PS:T - you know exactly what the experience on iOS will be like.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beamdog.siegeofdragonspear

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/siege-of-dragonspear/id1298734617?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Release trailer:

Usually inadequate backup practices. If they saved the code to tape then the tape was lost or overwritten or failed. I'm sure all the devs machines are long since dead and they shouldn't have personally kept copies.

I'm pretty sure that I still have 3.5 floppies and zip drives somewhere with some code from university. If I could find them then there is good likelihood that they are not readable anyway. Heck some of my CD backups are probably failed or starting to fail. Of course none of that is actually valuable so I never actually check.

You guys do realize there are forensic technicians who are able to get erased or even failed drives back thst they do on the regular basis for the fbi right? there are all sorts of tricks they use and programs like encave and there are even degrees specializing in getting defucnt data back. Its called comouter forensics I believe. They can even get parts or signs of data back from tapes broken or beat.

In the end the code shouldn’t matter that much. All the art assets are easily extracted from the binaries with all animations intact. The tiles are all there too. I’ve done it and I’ve used the tools myself. They can easily play the game to reverse engineer the dialog and quest structure. Dragonspear is far more complicated than IWD2 so this is perfectly achievable

How does one lose the source code to a big game like that

Shut down the studio working in it (Black Isle) and have Hervé (Interplay) in charge of what is left, then move everything to Atari when the license is moved and then to Wizard of the Coast…

Back
Top Bottom