Anyone play Yakuza series?

Controller? I thought it was a pc game? Aren't pc games played with kb/m ?

Is Yakuza 0 an MMO? Does it have co-op? It's pretty cheap; I might get it. :)

UPDATE! Looks pretty funny. Downloading now. Impressions soon. :D

UPDATE2! Very story heavy. Probably 95% of the first hour is story. Combat seems pretty good, but even on Hard its still been very easy so far. Playing with controller. Seems like it would run well on any PC from the last decade.

UPDATE3! It gets harder. The challenge is definitely there on hard. Everyone can relax now!

It's a console game on PC so controller is probably going to be better. I haven't tried KB+M.

I like 3rd person perspective with controller and 1st person with mouse. Unless it's a flight sim, then I like joystick. And if it's Marble Madness I like track ball. =)

Well if you decide to test the kb/m let us know your thoughts on such....

It's a console game on PC so controller is probably going to be better. I haven't tried KB+M.

I like 3rd person perspective with controller and 1st person with mouse. Unless it's a flight sim, then I like joystick. And if it's Marble Madness I like track ball. =)

I haven't played so I don't know the context but this shot make me think you'll want to use a controller if you've got one.

I imagine that WASD is your left stick, so [A] would make you turn around and run toward the screen rather than back-pedal while keeping your facing.

Then the mouse look would be your right stick, but the game does a lot of automatic camera and often you can't change the camera angle at all so it will feel sort of bad trying to look around with mouse. You just have to fight your desire to do all the camera work yourself and let the game do it for you.

I don't really want to give it a proper test. I think it would be better played Keyboard ONLY than kb+mouse. @you;

The Yakuza series are great, but ONLY if you are willing to accept what you get.

The is a Japanese game with all of the greats and faults this implies:
Love Virtua Fighter AND Shenmue? You'll love Yakuza.
Love Tarantino AND Beat Takeshi? You'll love Yakuza.
Love Elmore Leonard AND Desperate Housewives? You'll love Yakuza.
Are you a mature gamer, and familiar with 80's / 90's old SEGA arcade games? You'll love Yakuza.
Obsessed with GTA and open world games in general? You might NOT love Yakuza.

Are you a mature gamer, and familiar with 80's / 90's old SEGA arcade games? You'll love Yakuza.
Neverheard. Heard, backed SH3 but neverplayed.
Neverheard. Neverheard.
Neverheard. Neverheard.
I'm not unless you ask for my age, not familiar with inferior hardware.
Absolutely disgusted with mediocrity being overrated, like them but not really obsessed.

Yet I believe I'll love Yakuza. Reason? For what I've seen on random vids, that game belongs to PC.

The Yakuza series are great, but ONLY if you are willing to accept what you get.

The is a Japanese game with all of the greats and faults this implies:
Hey, this looks fun. Let me have a go!

Virtua Fighter? Nah, Mortal Kombat for me. Shenmue? NFI.
Taraintino? I liked Pulp Fiction. Beat Takeshi? NFI.
Elmore Leonard? NFI. Desperate Housewives? Ummmmmmm.... Prefer fair maidens, TBH.
80s/90s SEGA arcades YES! I had a Master System and a MegaDrive/Genesis as a kid. Still preferred Amiga by a long shot!
Wouldn't say I'm obsessed with open world, but I've probably played 400 hours of GTA Online. :)

GTA online? Can I ask how many $ you spent on that milking machine? :p

Neverheard. Heard, backed SH3 but neverplayed.
Neverheard. Neverheard.
Neverheard. Neverheard.
Well, your loss.

Yet I believe I'll love Yakuza. Reason? For what I've seen on random vids, that game belongs to PC.
You might NOT love Yakuza after all. This is not a PC game, this is a damn fine console game.

Why? Because it is first and foremost a beat'em up, very similar to Virtua Fighter. As such, it DEMANDS playing with a gamepad (gasp! The horror, the horror!)
Second, this is a nostalgia game, built on SEGA's rich heritage of games. As such it DEMANDS playing on a console (save points! The horror, the horror!)
Third, this is a jRPG hybrid, DEMANDS to be played as an old, archaic console jRPG (lengthy cutscenes, random battles, simple character builds! The horror, the horror!)
Fourth, this is a relatively low budget game, and DEMANDS to be played on lesser hardware (cool vid cutscenes but low-res textures and geometry in reatime! The horror, the horror!)

So that'll be 4x2 = 8 Horrors for ya on the PC. You've been warned :)

Last edited:
No horrors, this ain't Destiny 2. ;)

I believe you're missing two points.
When I said it belongs to PC, that automatically means mushrooms not allowed. And another point is you numbered tons of titles PC audience will never care about, but for some reason, perhaps deliberatelly, you didn't mention Sleeping Dogs - a game I adore.

Just the retail box.

The trick is to keep an eye on Rockstars Newswire and only play the content that's offering double cash that week and only buy big items when they're on sale.

I've only got 1 supercar, but I like motorcycles and my favourite bike is only 90k. What's it called, BF400? The trailbike added in stunts update. But I also have the Oppressor rocket bike for getting shit done quickly. Buying that, at full price, was the most grinding I ever did.

Got a motorcycle clubhouse, high end apartment, office, hanger, fully upgraded bunker and the doomsday heist building, whatever it's called.

Also got the Savage chopper, Hydra jet, Rhino tank, armoured heist car, etc.

I pretty much just like doing bike jumps. I roleplay a stuntman and my audience is constantly trying to kill me, but I jump up onto a roof or something and troll them. The only way I can get people to watch my jumps is if they're trying to kill me. xD

When I said it belongs to PC, that automatically means mushrooms not allowed.

If you refer to the gamepad, you should play with a gamepad. I can't imagine playing a beat'em up button masher with M+K. Yes, I know, my fault.
(FYI, "playing with mushrooms" for me is an acid trip. Yes I'm THAT old, kiddo :) )

And another point is you numbered tons of titles PC audience will never care about, but for some reason, perhaps deliberatelly, you didn't mention Sleeping Dogs.
Yes, deliberately. If you don't know the games/references I mentioned, chances are you'll won't get Yakuza's very peculiar, self-referential humour and you dismiss it as a silly mess.
As for Sleeping Dogs: it was a very good GTA clone -- as such, referring to the Big Daddy is sufficient. Yakuza is VERY different.

I was a little disappointed to find that Pachinko isn't a minigame in Yakuza 0 even though the buildings for it are there. I hear it's super popular in Japan. It's a sort of Pinball game only you get 100 balls and try to win more balls.

I was a little disappointed to find that Pachinko isn't a minigame in Yakuza 0 even though the buildings for it are there.

Sure, pachinko is missing from Y0 (was in earlier Yakuzas though).
Fear not: in Yakuza 0 you can go bowling, and win a chicken instead. ;)

… finally, this series have the best cutscenes ever.
Cinematic violence? Rockstar, you can only try :)

As for Sleeping Dogs: it was a very good GTA clone
You've obviously never played Sleeping Dogs. It has nothing in common with GTA. I believe Sleeping Dogs is Yakuza games clone only with not so many minigames.
Unlike retarded GTA, Sleeping Dogs doesn't force you to do numerous boring races with different vehicles just for sakes of it and is a mustplay game. With k+m on PC of course.

You've obviously never played Sleeping Dogs.
Unlike retarded vehicles racing simulator GTA, Sleeping Dogs has no stupid races and is a mustplay game.

Based on what you wrote, I assume, you've obviously never played GTA, Joxer ;)

Seriously? I only got GTA5 to cca 90% - couldn't force myself to race more and bring it to 100%.
It was a waste of time and money. I wish someone told me it's overhyped and overrated different vehicles racer before I bought the garbage.
But I learned from it. You won't see me buying GTA idiocy again.

Back
Top Bottom