Firaxis - New Game in the Works

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamesN Firaxis is working on a new game that is not Civilization or XCOM.

Firaxis has a new game on the way, and it sounds like it’ll break from the developer’s usual rhythm of XCOM and Civilization releases. 2K Games is looking to expand the offerings provided by its premier strategy studio, and they want to do it by adding a third pillar to the developer’s regular offerings.

“We did Civ, then we did XCOM, and now we're looking hopefully to add one more to that portfolio,” 2K Games president David Ismailer says of Firaxis. At this point, it’s anyone’s guess what that “one more” might be. The quote implies it’ll be something original, though it could certainly be a spin-off similar to a game like Civilization: Beyond Earth - but recent Civ derivatives have seen a mediocre enough response that this seems unlikely.

[...]
More information.

Could be interesting, though I haven't been very impressed by their last few games.

Here's hoping it's not one of those light cash-grabs they sometimes try for.

I’d love to see the xcom combat system in a fantasy setting.

I’d love to see the xcom combat system in a fantasy setting.

There is Mutant Year Zero, which seems to use an XCOM like system. I know what you mean through. Swords and sorcery would be interesting. There was that Doublefine game that supposedly took inspiration from XCOM. I've never played it through.

I stopped reading when they said it wasn't XCOM. :)
I started reading when they said it's not another clone.

EA's Sims need competition asap. I hope this is it.

I could do with a proper evolution of Pirates!
Sorry had to quote this just because I agree with you.

A modern Pirate remake please Firaxis.:please:

Sorry had to quote this just because I agree with you.

A modern Pirate remake please Firaxis.:please:

I would love this as well! The original title, as well as "Pirates! Gold" were two of my all time favorites. The remake from… 2004? on the other hand, was quite a let down. With cartoonish graphics that ruined the atmosphere, silly dancing minigames and not much good evolution over the original nor any brand new gamplay elements of much value.

I welcome the change, it will be good for them to move a bit from just 2 franchises and get a breath of fresh air.

I would love this as well! The original title, as well as "Pirates! Gold" were two of my all time favorites. The remake from… 2004? on the other hand, was quite a let down. With cartoonish graphics that ruined the atmosphere, silly dancing minigames and not much good evolution over the original nor any brand new gamplay elements of much value.

Actually, a few crowdfunded projects tried to provide their own remake/remold of the game, without meeting an audience.

Not sure it has customer base and if they launch a remake, how it will end far from the original.

Actually, a few crowdfunded projects tried to provide their own remake/remold of the game, without meeting an audience.

Oh, I did not know about that. Of course, that might be at least part of the problem; pretty hard to "meet an audience" if a significant number of the prospective audience is unaware of the attempt. In addition, there´s also no guarantee that some "cloning attempt" done with lots of love but possibly far less resources & talent, would be better than the 2004 remake.

Hmm maybe a freedom force style game?

Anything but another Civ game. Civ 6 is the worst I've played in terms of AI and the collision of it's awful game systems. I think they need a break from Civ, then come back to it in a few years with fresh eyes and new creators. Civ 7 needs to be a major change for the franchise instead of another glorified re-skin. Hopefully it will be a new IP and maybe that will light a fire under them to try new things.

I thought xcom (1,2) was decent but civ's ai has been extremely poor. I'd like to seem them apply their xcom success to a fantasy world type game. Then again with mutant year zero and dozen other similar indie games they might be late to the party. The only concern I have with a fantasy oriented game is that they are not known for their story telling. Maybe a space version of xcom would be closer to their strengths ? Maybe if they took some of the ideas from Mandate and focused on ship boarding and similar ?

Back
Top Bottom