ELEX - From a Fanboys Perspective

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
IndianNoob shares his feelings about ELEX as a Piranha Bytes fan.

In my nearly 20 years of playing role-playing video games, I've been the loyal defender of dozens of video game developers and their products throughout the years. Some come and go like Black Isle and Troika. Some you grow out of, like Bioware and Obsidian. But some stay. In my case, Piranha Bytes is the one that stayed. Ever since playing their first game Gothic as a wee lad, I've maintained a passionate obsession towards the German developer and their games. So it's a no-brainer when I say that I absolutely love Elex, Piranha Bytes' 2017 RPG, or in the words of us fans- "a hardcore RPG". But some wise man on the internet once said that "Elex is not a good game unless you are German, married and have Aspergers"

[...]
More information.

But some wise man on the internet once said that “Elex is not a good game unless you are German, married and have Aspergers”
Wise man and degenerate is not the same thing.
I'm not german, not married and… Hmm, well dunno about asperger it's possible I have it…
Elex IMO is a good game.

I'm none of the above, but personally had a great time with Elex.

I'm not german, not married and… Hmm, well dunno about asperger it's possible I have it…
Elex IMO is a good game.

Well he was from RPG Codex so could be either of those things

Elex IMO is a good game.

I'm none of the above, but personally had a great time with Elex.

Same with me. But as I mentioned in the editorial, the combat is the one place where they really dropped the ball.

From what I played of it, it's a solid game. It's a a PB game, alright, and that is a good thing for me since I much prefer PB open world aproach to Bethesda or Ubisoft, for example. A little buggy, though, but still great.
Oh, and I'm neither of those three (not sure about asperger's, never been tested).

From what I played of it, it's a solid game. It's a a PB game, alright, and that is a good thing for me since I much prefer PB open world aproach to Bethesda or Ubisoft, for example.

Hopefully, Elex 2 will be a good package overall. I kind of want them to go back to the Risen 1 combat

So everyone who likes Elex should take an Asperger's test.
Symptoms include:
-Problems making or maintaining friendships
-Isolation or minimal interaction in social situations
-Poor eye contact or the tendency to stare at others
-Trouble interpreting gestures
-Inability to recognize humor, irony, and sarcasm
-Inappropriate behaviors or odd mannerisms
-Problems expressing empathy, controlling emotions, or communicating feelings
-Lack of common sense
-Tendency to engage in one-sided conversations (about oneself)
-Fascination with certain topics
-Interpretation of information as literal
-The preference for a strict schedule or routine

That's me all right

the spectrum is very vast. autism might be the new norm. the next evolution step of humanity
im autistic but not by those terms. I think (mbti) that all Ntuitives are autistic and a big part of SFs

I match about half that list.

I'm half-ass aspergers.

I also loved Elex.

So everyone who likes Elex should take an Asperger's test.
Symptoms include:
-Problems making or maintaining friendships
-Isolation or minimal interaction in social situations
-Poor eye contact or the tendency to stare at others
-Trouble interpreting gestures
-Inability to recognize humor, irony, and sarcasm
-Inappropriate behaviors or odd mannerisms
-Problems expressing empathy, controlling emotions, or communicating feelings
-Lack of common sense
-Tendency to engage in one-sided conversations (about oneself)
-Fascination with certain topics
-Interpretation of information as literal
-The preference for a strict schedule or routine

That's me all right

I have more than a half of those, but I still don't see what any of this has to do with ELEX.
And I didn't mind ELEX's combat that much, but I din't play it for very long so I can't tell for sure if it's good at higher levels. Jet-pack was very useful.

Elex is a good game and the verticality is fantastic, which leads to great exploration. Although, I friggin' hate the science-fantasy setting here! This was the reason I stopped playing after about 30 h and I never ever want to see another Techno Viking!

Could explain why I couldn't stand more than 2 or 3 hours of this game's ridiculously horrible combat - not German and not married. Not sure about the other part.

Hum. On sale @ gog. Undecided if i want to take the plunge seems to be love or hate.

If you love PB games, go for it. I got it on halloween Steam sale for like 8 dollars and I heard there's a sale from next week or something.

Could explain why I couldn't stand more than 2 or 3 hours of this game's ridiculously horrible combat - not German and not married. Not sure about the other part.

I made it to 10 hours but same conclusion. And I’m a diehard PB fan

Loved playing Elex and fit almost half that list. :thinking:

Can't wait to play the sequel either. Hmm wonder if you like Dark Souls you fit the criteria also? Cause you have to be at least a masochist to enjoy dying over and over.:p

elex is easy.
but people think they can fight more than sick rats and meat bugs after one or two hours of playtime.
spend first 10h with stealing, exploration, making friends ,errand boy quests, running away, than you get somthing out of every PB game.

my biggest problem with elex are the factions.
they all suck.
full of psychopathic members and leaders.
a lot of characters like from "80´s bad action movies"

i think i liked the "camp in the center" most, but sadly its very underdeveloped.

If I had all conditions for which I fit some symptoms, I'd probably be dead.

So yeah, Elex is great, despite its shortcomings. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I concur with turian, the camps were mostly uninteresting, clichéd and often plain unappealing. The worst one was the bandits' camp, I always cringed when I had to go there for a quest.

I really wish Piranha Bytes would get some better writers.

It's a beautiful game though. The world building is great, as usual.

Back
Top Bottom