Fallout 4 - Bigger Battles, Better Shooting and Less Clunky @ Gamespot

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Danny of Gamespot witnessed Fallout 4 behind closed doors and gives us new details on its large scale battles, improved interface, enhanced shooting mechanics and much more:

More information.

I never really used VATS so this is a welcomed change for me.

I think it will be a sandbox Action Shooter with some RPG elements like Farcry 4.

I think it will be a sandbox Action Shooter with some RPG elements like Farcry 4.

Or like the Witcher 3 with guns? Except with more character customization and a weaker central narrative.

But that was half the fun. Did you try to make the game more difficult or something? ;)

Yep - I play real Shooters on the hardest difficulty level - so Fallout 3 was way too easy for me (in the unmodded version).

Yep - I play real Shooters on the hardest difficulty level - so Fallout 3 was way too easy for me (in the unmodded version).

I used to be a good Counterstrike player, but those skills are gone. It's not like riding a bike apparently. And since I will play FO4 on PS4 with a controller, I'm thinking about easy difficulty. :)

I just thought Fallout was always about survival in an empty and dangerous wasteland and that you should always have had much less ammo and guns to shoot easily anyone who gets in the way, since as long as I can recall in Fallout 1/2, it was too hard to me to kill even a simple DeathClaw and still keeping my resources for next battles. I should say that's why I'd never imagine a Fallout game going to have "Bigger Battles"…
I'm not going to prejudge the game, just seems a little weird to me.

Last edited:
I just thought Fallout was always about survival in an empty and dangerous wasteland and that you should always have had much less ammo and guns to shoot easily anyone get in the way, since as long as I can recall in Fallout 1/2, it was too hard to me to kill even a simple DeathClaw and still keeping my resources for next battles. I should say that's why I'd never imagine a Fallout game going to have "Bigger Battles"…
I'm not going to prejudge the game, just seems a little weird to me.
One of the reasons why F3 and beyond are hated by many

I recently played Fallout 3 with the FWE mod and I found it much more fun than vanilla. Enemies are tougher, ammo is harder to find and it has weight so you can carry less (or is it the same in vanilla, I can't remember?). But it also added sprinting like in Skyrim, so I often found myself running away from a bad situation. It reminded me of STALKER, one of my favourite games ever. I'm hoping to see a similar mod for Fallout 4 and see how it complement the survival elements already announced. And I think it would play well with the improved shooting mechanics.

I used VATS precisely because I'm a good shooter, and non-VATS was so poor (especially wrt locational damage and reactions) that it consistently frustrated me as a skilled player of first-person shooters. For any experienced FPS player, FO3 combat is awful (if you play it as an FPS).

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't been following Fallout 4 that closely:
Have they talked about some kind of hardcore mode like in New Vegas with eat, drink and sleep requirements? I haven't played NV so I don't know how it functions there, but I like how it functions in FWE and iNeed for Skyrim (accompanied by Frostfall and Hunterborn it was simply amazing). For contrast, I didn't like how it worked in a similar mod for Oblivion whose name I can't remember. That mod penalized you gradually for not satisfying your needs and gave you little to no bonuses only if your needs were fully satisfied, which might be more realistic but for me not that fun.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't been following Fallout 4 that closely:
Have they talked about some kind of hardcore mode like in New Vegas with eat, drink and sleep requirements? I haven't played NV so I don't know how it functions there, but I like how it functions in FWE and iNeed for Skyrim (accompanied by Frostfall and Hunterborn it was simply amazing). For contrast, I didn't like how it worked in a similar mod for Oblivion whose name I can't remember. That mod penalized you gradually for not satisfying your needs and gave you little to no bonuses only if your needs were fully satisfied, which might be more realistic but for me not that fun.

Not sure they have mentioned any modes that might chase away console players

Not sure they have mentioned any modes that might chase away console players

I'm not sure why would a hypothetical optional game mode chase away anyone, but whatever.
Anyway, seeing they didn't implement such thing in Skyrim, I think there's a slim chance of it being implemented in Fallout 4 (even though Fallout series is more survival oriented TES series). I guess I'll have to wait for mods for that one.

A game about survival and no mention of having to survive as usual.Bethesda just dont get gamers.Its all about shooting mini nukes and blowing peoples heads off to them sadly.

Anyway, seeing they didn't implement such thing in Skyrim,

They tried to implement something similar in Skyrim. It is much more difficult to provide the correct conditions to reach a proper result.
I think there's a slim chance of it being implemented in Fallout 4 (even though Fallout series is more survival oriented TES series). I guess I'll have to wait for mods for that one.
In all likelihood, vanilla will come with a similar mode. The form should be different though as settling the base will come into play, along with NPC settlers (probably subjects to a form of survival themselves) and raiders.
It wont be a cut and paste from FO3:NV.

What is the likelihood of Obsidian doing a FO game after this. I'd be more interested in that honestly. Maybe they'd bring skills back.

Back
Top Bottom