System Shock 3 - Otherside & Tencent Announcement

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Otherside Entertainment have confirmed that Tencent will be taking the System Shock series forward in a tweet.

1/2 We are happy to announce that Tencent will be taking the #SystemShock franchise forward.
2/2 As a smaller Indie studio, it had been challenging for us to carry the project on our own. We believe Tencent's deep capabilities and expertise as a leading game company will bring the franchise to new heights.

More information.

System Shock 3 MMO now the future. Just joking with some truth.:lol:

Anyway Tencent is opening an American developer branch.

Tencent is starting a AAA studio in North America

EA and Ubisoft veteran Scott Warner will be studio director for Tencent's first AAA operation in the US

Tencent is setting up a new AAA studio in North America, bringing in veteran developer Scott Warner to lead the operation.

Warner has an impressive track record in AAA: he was design director on Halo 4 at 343 Industries, game director on Battlefield Hardline at EA Visceral, and was most recently game director for Ubisoft in the San Francisco Bay Area.

"I am moving on to a new role," Warner said, announcing his departure from Ubisoft on Twitter. "I'll be the studio director of a new AAA operation in North America for Tencent."

The location of the new studio has not yet been decided, with Warner stating that it "might be Seattle, might be Los Angeles."

Tencent is the biggest games publisher in the world by revenue, but its growth outside of China has largely been fuelled by acquisitions -- Supercell and Riot Games, for example.

This move is one of Tencent's first attempts to start an internal AAA studio from scratch.

Source: Games Industry

System Shock 3 MMO now the future. Just joking with some truth.:lol:

Anyway Tencent is opening an American developer branch.

Send your resume :)

Anyway wonder if this new studio will be the developer for System Shock 3?

Otherside will continue working on it, with Tencent providing additional funding
But at what cost?

At what
COST???

Maybe none - they're trying to get in good graces, after all. I'm "cautiously pessimistic."

Unofficial translation:

"As an indie studio, we have two options: starve to death, or get raped by the top dog. We chose the latter.
Right now we are ok with our choice, as we'll live on for now -- but we are either too dumb/scared to think about the consequences
"

My bitter TWOcents: say hi to all the crackwhores on the streets.

Unofficial translation:

"As an indie studio, we have two options: starve to death, or get raped by the top dog. We chose the latter.
Right now we are ok with our choice, as we'll live on for now -- but we are either too dumb/scared to think about the consequences
"

My bitter TWOcents: say hi to all the crackwhores on the streets.

Yikes. I wonder if it's necessarily a case of crack-addled dog-rape, though.

I mean, large corporations are always best treated with suspicion, but not everything they do is necessarily negative. The EA Originals program for indies is excellent, for example. I wonder if Tencent are just trying to get more into the Western gaming market, and looking for good investments. Possibly a better approach than Amazon's feeble attempts to start developing their own games.

After Underworld Ascendant my expectations for SS3 are pretty much zero. Maybe Tencent getting involved and setting some expectations will end up being a good thing.

After Underworld Ascendant my expectations for SS3 are pretty much zero. Maybe Tencent getting involved and setting some expectations will end up being a good thing.

Yeah, after Underworld Ascendant, it was pretty clear that things weren't right, and they were probably circling the drain. It's possible that Tencent money and "interference" from some experienced management might actually be for the best.

Iirc, SS3 wasn't being developed by the same team that did Underworld Ascendant. Otherside has/had two studios, and SS3 was being worked on by the other one.

Not that that makes me confident it was on the right track. That teaser video looked pretty snazzy, but who knows? The failure of UA obviously affected the company as a whole.

Yeah, after Underworld Ascendant, it was pretty clear that things weren't right, and they were probably circling the drain. It's possible that Tencent money and "interference" from some experienced management might actually be for the best.
Underworld Ascendant basically soured me on anything that this developer touches. So I'm glad they got funding but still have worries over the accusation by Tencent.
Yikes. I wonder if it's necessarily a case of crack-addled dog-rape, though.

I mean, large corporations are always best treated with suspicion, but not everything they do is necessarily negative. The EA Originals program for indies is excellent, for example. I wonder if Tencent are just trying to get more into the Western gaming market, and looking for good investments. Possibly a better approach than Amazon's feeble attempts to start developing their own games.
Best guess is like I shared above they want a bigger share of the western market. So more money as they are Asia's largest publisher/developer of games already.

Anyway on a side note the remake of the first game is still going strong. Its a different developer called Nightdive Studios and they are using the Unreal Engine.

Back
Top Bottom