General News - What Even Is An RPG Anymore?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Fudj asks 'What Even Is An RPG Anymore?'

What happened to the phrase "RPG"? When did we suddenly start attributing the phrase to what feels like 50% of modern games? What even is an RPG anymore? Should I let the robot in Fallout: New Vegas fist me? The answer to all these questions and more await you.
(I swear this video is not meant to be a Kingdom Hearts hit piece please don't hate me KH fans k thanks bye)
More information.

Hmm, I'm just the opposite. I've finished F:NV once and Skyrim dozens of times. A big part of that is I vastly prefer fantasy over post-apoc though but then again I wouldn't accept the thoughts of someone who can't even spell fudge ;)

The future is RPG. Years old now annoucement.

As usual, people who pressed, lobbied, harassed for a situation to be complain when they've achieved their goal.

Blur a definition as much as it is possible then play surprised when confusion happens.

Reminds me of the situation of cars : Every car is so much streamlined these days that I constantly fail to see which car is from which manufacturer ... Luxury cars and highly experimental cars are the only exception to that.

Blur a definition as much as it is possible

Nailed it!

Everything is being sold as an RPG now.
Sports games, action, story, mobile candy crush games.
Whether that's by design or ignorance, it doesn't matter any more.

The post was a reminder that this site has participated heavily in blurring the definition.

That most games or vid products would end being RPG labelized.

Years old prediction.

Most of them nowadays are so watered down they barely even resemble a true rpg. This probably explains why I spend most of my gaming time replaying classics, the new games that I try tend to be independents.

I'll just say one thing.
When Ubisoft marketed their imbecillic mmo as RPG, not a single gaming media site protested or at least questioned the false advertising.

I don't know why it matters to be honest. If it's an rpg I like and has what I want in it then it's a good game. Getting bogged down in what is or isn't seems like a fools errand and really is subjective. Just because something says it has rpg elements doesn't mean they are pushing it as the next RPG.

For instance I like a little rpg in my sports games, it ads an interesting layer...I don't care if streamers or someone on the internet thinks it is or isn't an rpg as it just doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom