The TV Series discussion thread

At 6th season of Voyager. There's been some nice episodes here and there, but I can't say I'm too enthused overall. Not sure how much is because of my jaded age and how much is just Voyager being very derivative.

Watched a few episodes of the new True Detective, and it's not really grabbing me - so far. It's ok, nothing more.

Almost forgot... I also watched the second season of Punisher, which wasn't very good.

Looks like CBS threw the second series debut of Star Trek: Discovery on You Tube, which means you can view it freely. I don't know if that was a friendly offering, or one of sheer desperation to garner more viewers.

Started watching my DVR of Orville season 2... three episodes in.

First episode was not good but the next two were very good. And I mean good for sci fi television not just good for Orville. Additionally, for the most part the forced humor on those two episodes was on the low side which was especially difficult considering the topic of the season two, second episode. And my gawd, Robert Piccardo, had me tearing up in the third episode. I always did like him in Voyager. Welp, on to episode 4.

Watched a few episodes of the new True Detective, and it's not really grabbing me - so far. It's ok, nothing more.

It's quite crappy i think.

The story is so tired and it's been done to death - a detective dedicates his life (pretty much) to a certain case (why this case? It can hardly be his first and there must have been numerous similar or FAR worse and more interesting cases he's been assigned to). This is not comparable to e.g the Zodiac killer, that i can somewhat understand an obsession with. It's also not like the family is overly friendly or nice to deal with either, they just give him shit all the time..

To its credit it does not take place in modern day where something like this happens almost on a monthly basis, but still, i don't find it very believable.

The actors are quite good, but the characters themselves are rather meh.

Started True Detective, I'm on episode 3 from the first season. I love it!

I've been watching the current series of True Detective, and it's ok, but certainly not awesome. The story is weak, but I do like the time setting a lot, pre-computers and mobiles, so that's a huge plus for me. The acting so far seems to be the strongest part, and that's holding me in for now.

Started True Detective, I'm on episode 3 from the first season. I love it!

The first season is fantastic. Seen it twice.

Stopped watching The Sopranos heh, i got to season 3.. i remember everything waaay to well, while its good i'm certainly not on the edge of my seat while watching it. I bet i've seen it more than 3 times over the years. Maybe in another 10 years ;)

True detective season 1 was great indeed. Season 2 took only 2 episodes for me to quit. Then again I had the same with Fargo season 2 which is received as the best one. Need more patience to plow through the initial episodes.

Started Titans DC on some recommendation of a friend. It is actually pretty good. I have absolutely no affinity with marvel and DC (I only know batman) but the story progresses well enough and it has a certain mature undertone which has kept me watching.

The Marvell shows on the other hand...Bl basically stopped in the middle of Daredevil season 2. If I would watch one more marvel show on Netflix which one should it be? The punisher sounds the most enticing.

Also watching the new star trek season 2. Episode 2 was pretty good with some interesting things for the story. Seems they are heading in the right direction.

I had wondered if all the True Detective shows took place in the same universe, that question was semi-answered with the most recent episode. It was brief, but there was a definite shot of the case from series one mentioned on a computer, but you'll need to watch carefully to see it. No mention of series two so far that I've seen, but perhaps that's for the best!!!

The Marvell shows on the other hand…Bl basically stopped in the middle of Daredevil season 2. If I would watch one more marvel show on Netflix which one should it be? The punisher sounds the most enticing.
Punisher S1 is ok (not seen S2 yet), but I'd recommend Luke Cage.

Started Titans DC on some recommendation of a friend. It is actually pretty good. I have absolutely no affinity with marvel and DC (I only know batman) but the story progresses well enough and it has a certain mature undertone which has kept me watching
Haven't watched this yet but I HATE when shows screw with cannon... Nightwing in this is a combination of Nightwing and Red Robin, and Starfire... let me put this politely, was miscast.

That's one of the advantages of not knowing the universe. They can't screw up the Canon :) I didn't even know there were multiple robins (and red Robin). So he is supposed to become Nightwing? I also thought 'titans' was supposed to be a team of DC heroes (like the defenders, avengers).

Just finished season 1, I really liked the violent Robin. For me, that actor was nicely cast. A shame it didn't wrap anything up though.

Forgot to mention I also finished travelers S3. Also good, but the ending is really cheap imo. It's too easily used in many time travelling shows. It might indicate more than was explained but we won't know as it has been cancelled.
https://tvline.com/2019/02/01/travelers-cancelled-season-4-eric-mccormack-sci-fi-drama-netflix/

I googled Teen Titans and found that Nightwing was in the early New Teen Titans. I am more familiar with the stories from this century where Red Robin, and then Damian Wayne led the Titans.I also didn't know Dick was ever a cop, but I knew Tim was. Oh what a complicated history the characters have!

True detective season 1 was great indeed. Season 2 took only 2 episodes for me to quit. Then again I had the same with Fargo season 2 which is received as the best one. Need more patience to plow through the initial episodes.

That's too bad. Season 2 of True Detective is actually really good. Maybe not on the same level as the first season but definitely worth watching. It starts slow and gets better with each episode.

Last episode of TD was pretty good. I'm sort of interested now.

I'm close to the last season of Voyager. It's been an interesting experience, so far.

I keep wondering what I would have thought of it - if I had seen it before TNG, or at least if I'd seen it back when it was being made.

To be honest, I've actually shed a few tears here and there - in a couple of episodes.

Even so, I'm not really making a close connection to the characters. I think it's because too many past events get ignored in future episodes.

I think it would have been much, much better with more character continuity - and especially with more of an arc than it has.

Even though I'm a huge (HUGE) fan of TNG - I have to say, objectively, that Voyager has a more consistent quality - but I'm nowhere near as impressed with it as I was with TNG back in the 90s.

I've also found myself really liking a few of the lower rated episodes, including one where Janeway had to question her position on faith - and a similar one where Neelix had a crisis of faith. Something about the more subtle and human touches tend to resonate with me.

Some of the highest rated episodes have been less impressive, like the "jokey" episode with the two holographic doctors or one I watched recently with a serious time differential involved.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it all is that I've almost reversed my opinion about several characters. I originally hated Neelix and greatly disliked Janeway - and they're among my favorite characters now.

In the reverse, I've found Tom Paris largely wasted and boring, and I think Seven of Nine is being a little wasted - being so one-note most of the time. Harry Kim is possibly even more bland than when the show started - and he's definitely the least appealing character out of them all.

I've also grown fonder of Tuvok than I was in the beginning - and of course I still love the Doctor.

Unlike TNG, however, the show is incredibly light on compelling secondary characters. Who can forget Reginald Barclay or Miles O'brien from TNG? Nothing like that on Voyager.

Ultimately, I'm glad I finally stuck with it - and there's been enough here to really make it worthwhile.

I pretty much had the exact same experience with Voyager.

Hated Janeway and Nelix, found them more appealing in the complete second viewing.

Rated Voyager way below TNG, now I could make a case for Voyager being the better series. OTOH, while you said Voyager was more consistent, TNG had way more classic episodes( maybe twice as many at least)

One thing I found interesting was how the Voyager folks updated a good TNG episode. One example was where aliens from another dimension were experimenting with crew members while they were asleep. (Schisms). Voyager took similar idea with the episode (Scientific Method) but told a far more compelling (and actually gruesome) story.

Another example is time travel. Both series loved to play with time but probably one of my favs from both series was when they played with time compression. In the TNG episode Inner Light, Picard was placed in a small village, where it appeared there was a problem with the sun and the planet was dying. The village folk convinced him his Star ship days were a dream and Picard lived out the balance of his life in that village. Of course Picard wakes up and finds he was out for about 10 minutes. OTOH, the knowledge of the flute he learned to play in the dream, stuck with him and the episode ends with him playing a tune.

Voyager otoh, took a different track with an encounter of a race that lived in a type of time bubble (Blink of time) where 3 years for this culture equaled only 2 minutes on Voyager. What was great about this episode was that it was told almost entirely from the alien cultures point of view. I kinda choked up in the end when the young alien astronaut who saves Voyager, looks on as a very old man when the light that was voyager finally leaves their skies. What was minutes on Voyager was decades on the planet below.

Both shows had plenty of thought provoking episodes. The one from both series that still sticks with me today the episode on TNG called Darmok. Where the Enterpise encountered a race that spoke only in metaphor. There was a huge communication barrier that never really got resolved even in the end. Just about always in sci fi we always understand the alien culture's language. I love that this was explored (note: I also loved the movie Arrival)

The most thought provoking episode for Voyager (Distant Origin)was the one where they discovered that the dinosaurs from our planet did not go extinct, they left in ships after the meteor hit. So of course they have had millions of years to develop a new culture, that for all practical purposes forgot that they had come from earth. And what would be left of a society on earth that existed 50 plus million years ago?

As far as the least season, a ton of good episodes but no classics, although Shattered comes close (Voyager is broken up into a number of time bubbles).

Currently, I got caught up with Orville. Some of their special effects are stunning (like the one where the sun was pulling apart a planet). But their story telling is still not quite right. Its getting better. But still, one episode showed them looking at the shuttle, getting into the shuttle, driving the shuttle interior view, shuttle leaving cargo bay exterior view, shuttle outside the ship and departing. About a min of obvious visuals that could have went to better story telling.

Both shows had plenty of thought provoking episodes. The one from both series that still sticks with me today the episode on TNG called Darmok. Where the Enterpise encountered a race that spoke only in metaphor. There was a huge communication barrier that never really got resolved even in the end. Just about always in sci fi we always understand the alien culture's language. I love that this was explored (note: I also loved the movie Arrival)

I never liked Darmok that much, because I never understood how a language based on metaphor could have possibly developed those metaphors in the first place, because they were based on a standard language.

I mean, how did the sentence of the metaphor "Shaka, when the walls fell" come about without a standard language to create that sentence? :)

I remember how excited I was when I first heard about Voyager, and the premise of a ship being so far from home, having to slowly make its way back. The next bit of news that I heard was that the lead actress had quit, and that didn't bode too well for a new show. I honestly didn't care at all for Janeway or much of the bridge crew, save for Paris, because due to that actor being a friend of a friend, I got to meet him several times before and during the shows run. I also like the engineer and the doctor, but many of their stories were trivial/bland. The premise was solid, and they had some great episodes, but overall the entire series was a bit disappointing to me.

Back
Top Bottom