Wizards & Warriors on GoG

Do they have the option of fixing those things ?
Yes.

My understanding is they will apply known mods and wrappers for system compatibility but they can't actually change the game itself in most cases…
The avi fix is easy enough to do. It's a fairly fundamental fix - people won't be able to fully complete the game without it.
Even without an easily available source online (i.e. Jeff Ludwig's site) I can process the files myself. CDPR should be able to too.
Hell, it would have taken minimal testing to determine there was an issue, so yes, they need a kick in the pants for that.

The mouse polling issue may not be fixable, especially without the source code, but it doesn't affect everyone and can be mitigated through system/mouse settings.

Do they have the option of fixing those things ? My understanding is they will apply known mods and wrappers for system compatibility but they can't actually change the game itself in most cases…. So don't you think you are being a bit nasty towards cdpr ?

You mean you don't see how terrible CDPR is for not making some bugs in an 18 year-old niche game a priority? ;)

Not sure about the legality of making code changes, but afaik CDPR doesn't handle GOG titles anyways. GOG is a separate division of CD Projekt.

You mean you don't see how terrible CDPR is for not making some bugs in an 18 year-old niche game a priority? ;)

GoG has chosen to assume full responsiblity for the game by becoming the sole current publisher. Therefore if game-breaking bugs exist that were known but the game was released anyway ... that is NOW GOG's FULL responsibility. Period.

GoG has chosen to assume full responsiblity for the game by becoming the sole current publisher. Therefore if game-breaking bugs exist that were known but the game was released anyway … that is NOW GOG's FULL responsibility. Period.

Not only that, but if you've followed their PR campaigns related to GoG and the reason to buy games from there - they're being extremely specific about making every effort to ensure 100% functional games, with all the bells and whistles they can possibly add - in an effort to establish value.

AFAIK, they're very adamant that people are more than willing to pay for games - even when they're easy to pirate - but they need that extra incentive of a game that's extra desirable, by way of CDPR/GoG having done all the hard work to make them playable on modern systems and to add patches and whatever else that's required for the optimal experience.

But I was just poking fun - and I know that everyone with a brain understands that CDPR is out to make money - and their "for the consumer" slogan is just that - a slogan.

Doesn't mean they don't care about the consumer - but they clearly don't care as much as they would like us all to believe if it goes against their own interests.

If this game is that easy to fix with existing user patches - then there's no excuse to release it without those patches, given their claims.

GoG has chosen to assume full responsiblity for the game by becoming the sole current publisher. Therefore if game-breaking bugs exist that were known but the game was released anyway … that is NOW GOG's FULL responsibility. Period.

Cool, but what does that have to do with CDPR? :)

*Edit* To clarify, CDPR isn't the division that's working on those games. As to what you said, yeah, I agree. However, I think most people would agree that GOG has, for the most part, done a great job with the vast majority of the games they've released.

Of course sometimes things slip through the cracks, but, as you can see, GOG is usually pretty quick about listening to feedback and making fixes when needed.

Last edited:
Wait until they start selling someone else's mods to improve their own games and grabbing most of profit from it! Sorry, I thought that was someone else. :p

Mixed results.

Avi masks are fixed.
Mouse problem not fixed. The patch says "reduced mouse cursor lag", but I see zero evidence of this so far. Still as laggy as ever near something clickable.

I tested it out on a problematic machine (i.e. has a flash mouse with a high polling rate) that had no traces of W&W fixes that I'd made myself.

Last edited:
Not only that, but if you've followed their PR campaigns related to GoG and the reason to buy games from there - they're being extremely specific about making every effort to ensure 100% functional games, with all the bells and whistles they can possibly add - in an effort to establish value.

And for my own clarification, I have had no issues so far with W&W, and have completed it several years ago without some special patch so I honestly am not sure about whether or not there even IS a 'game-breaking issue' as is being put forth here. But if there is, GoG owns it was my only point.

Cool, but what does that have to do with CDPR? :)

Yeah, no clue ... I certainly never thought they were connected :)

As to what you said, yeah, I agree. However, I think most people would agree that GOG has, for the most part, done a great job with the vast majority of the games they've released.

That is why countless times I have just clicked buy. And I would say that <1% of the time have I had any issue. That is certainly lower than Steam, GamerGate, Direct2Drive, UPlay, Origin, etc ...

I loved W&W back in the day. I"ll have to pick this up the next time I'm in a retro mood. I remember almost nothing about it except for a talking turtle creature.

And for my own clarification, I have had no issues so far with W&W, and have completed it several years ago without some special patch so I honestly am not sure about whether or not there even IS a 'game-breaking issue' as is being put forth here. But if there is, GoG owns it was my only point.

I don't go assuming here - so no worries.

I did have serious issues last time I tried to play this - but that was years ago, and I can't remember what the problems were.

But I do think GoG have obligated themselves to implement all established fixes at launch, regardless. That's pretty much their mission statement.

However, they seem to have fixed this very quickly after launch - so I'll give them a pass here, as I really like those guys.

Like Dungeon Lords, I sooooo wanted to like this game when it first came out but the mouse pointer speed problem was a show stopper not to mention I ran into several bugs during the first 60 minutes.

I remember having to do work to get this to run when I downloaded it from...wherever. I had issues but ultimately it became a fun romp through a semi open-world with unique lore and fun, puzzle-y dungeons.

Back
Top Bottom