Skyrim Replaying Skyrim - need suggestions -

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
All the recent talks about TES games made want to play some. I already had Skyrim installed with mods waiting for me to jump in. I want to try to not be OCD mechanical and just enjoy it (and maybe finally play through the main quest for once).

My problem is that I hate the lack of major/minor skills. Making your own class in older games made it easier for me to stick to certain skills and not wander off too much. In Skyrim, I'm lost. In the span of one hour, I went from stealthy archer, to mage to sword&board fighter in light armor on the same character.

So I got some questions:
- how hard is it to fight a dragon with sword&board/two-hander at low level if I follow the main quest early?
- how important are smiting/enchanting/alchemy if you don't want to be destroyed by monsters? (from previous experience Skyrim have quite a few HP sponge enemies, I remember getting two-shot by a bounty boss in a cave system that my thief could only take 1/3 of the HP with dual dagger (best type for my level) power sneak attack at x6 damage after my thief one-shot all the other enemies in the cave)
- how evil is the level scaling past level 25 (never went higher than that)

On the good side, my character already did some small jobs like selling firewood, potatoes, cabbages and punching a guy in the face for harassing a widow.

I played as an orc who had no skill at magic and was specialized with a two handed sword. I did have bow as a secondary skill. I can't remember having too many problems with dragons. They usually land at some point and you can hack them up.

Smithing is very good if you are going for a nonmagic character, I didn't advance either of the other skills.

The crafting skills get kind of OP if you boost them all. It's been a while since I played, but as I recall you can brew potions to boost your enchantment skill, and then enchant gear to boost your alchemy, and then brew a stronger enchantment-boosting potion, and so on back and forth until you run out of materials, at which point you finally make yourself a weapon with your absurdly boosted stats.

(I may have the sequence wrong, as I remember it's not a perfect loop -- there's one craft that can't boost the others. But if I'm right that craft is smithing, which is the last step in the process anyway.)

I played as an orc who had no skill at magic and was specialized with a two handed sword. I did have bow as a secondary skill. I can't remember having too many problems with dragons. They usually land at some point and you can hack them up.

So I should be fine with a sword&board/two-handed (not necessarily together) melee character. I always had a bow before when facing them because stealth+bow is awesome, but I want something else this time. ;)

One of my char's is a Red Sonja type with two-hander. She did the MQ pretty much straight off (although I did have an alternate start mod and she started as a kind of barbarian in the middle of no where) and I don't recall things being that difficult when it came to dragon slaying.

Have fun :)

I made a female character last night. She will probably be a spellsword in light armor (and one alteration is high enough, probably no armor).

She will join the College…at some point, it's pretty far away from Whiterun.

edit:
Forgot to mention, something strange happened when I went close to the Embershard Mine (the mine between Helgen and Riverwood), the sentry outside was singing before he spotted me. It's the first time this happen and I most have done that spot on new characters like 50 times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom