Might & Magic X - Removed from Sale

TBH, I don't really see this as review bombing. I get that a zero score wouldn't be fair for the game itself, but, as a product review, I think "0/10 - publisher deactivated the game I paid for, and it cannot be played", is perfectly reasonable.

If a game gets 0 review points - so to say - then it is like reasuring the publishers like "see ? people didn't like that game in the first place ! It was a good move to remove it !"

X should have been "positively bombed" to give the publisher the message that "people actually want it !"

I don't mind this behavior, in this case because it's totally bringing a deplorable state of existence to the light. These people tend to function best in the dark or shadows, and I tend to revel when they are dragged into the public forum, where all can see their shenanigans for what they truly are.

Unfortunately the game had mixed ratings on Steam before now, largely because it was review bombed by haters at release, because it wasn't M&M 7.2 or because they don't like how Ubisoft changed the MM universe into a generic and fairly boring fantasy setting. So even though MM10 is a very good game, its much too later for it to be saved by positive reviews or sales, since most people who would have bought it, already own it. But by demanding refund on Steam, getting people in the press to publish articles on it, and "review" bombing it puts pressure on Ubisoft to do something. If people were quiet, they wouldn't feel the need to fix anything.

I'm not generally a fan of Ubisoft games but if I were I'd have to make the decision not to buy their games when they essentially keep your money while confiscating your game. I have this sneaking suspicion that if there was a law in place that punitively punished companies allowing this kind of thing there wouldn't be these faux pas situations where oopsy a 3rd party's server went away so now you can't play the game you paid for. More than a decade ago I made the choice not to buy EA games over their craptastic business practices that continue to this day.

Gamers need to really put their foot down with these companies by denying developers/publishers their money when their business practices are predatory or become outright theft. Have to resist the thrill of the latest game you might love to play when the developer/publisher offering it will screw you in a heartbeat. In my view, too many developers/publishers eagerly roll over their customers because gamers tend to behave like addicts… they cave to the latest game they want no matter how abusive the developer/publisher is… they just gotta get that fix. Things won't change until gamers get a whole lot less squishy and a become lot more disciplined and consistent with their purchasing values.

I paid full price for MM10 and I really enjoyed it. I'm angered that I can't just play it the way I want to whenever I want to. Older games free of internet-connectedness from decades ago… those I can still play but contemporary games entangled with some form of online requirement may all vanish one day for one reason or another. This is just terrible.

Last edited:
MadGamer, I see you and I park our horses in the same stable. Nicely stated and I agree one hundred percent. I came to the conclusion years ago that no game is worth compromising my beliefs to play, and I've stuck with it through thick and thin. Fortunately there are plenty of ways one can occupy time with.

I am also angry, and was planning a 3rd playthrough at some point. And even though I don't own that many Ubisoft games (Child of Light, MMX, Heroes 6 & 7, and AC Odyssey are on my shelf) if I can't make another playthrough of MMX due to copy protection issues, I will seriously consider never buying another Ubisoft game

However, I do also think that publishers should be rewarded for good behavior, as well as punished for bad behaviour. I'd consider buying a MMXI from Ubisoft, because big studios simply don't make these kinds of games anymore, which is why I supported MMX in early access. If Ubisoft comes up with a good fix for MMX, I'd be willing to forgive and forget, and consider buying another AC game on sale, because I'm enjoying Odyssey for what it is.

I don't own the game, yet enjoyed it when a friend lent me his laptop for two weeks to play it. Should it ever come back in some way, I plan on buying and replaying it, as I think it was seven or eight years ago now that I went through it. Good behavior should indeed be rewarded, especially in these shallow days.

Back
Top Bottom