Non-RPG General News - China's Crackdown on Online Gaming

Ahhh ok, that makes a lot more sense, having played a few mmo's I can acknowledge they are insidious, even to adults, let alone young folk that are still growing. I don't like big brother taking a heavy hand in monitoring things like this, yet a government's first duty should be the care and welfare of its citizens, especially the youth and elderly.

I've chatted with parents who want to curb/stop their children "staring at that thing all day" and never had a decent answer to what children should be doing, other than a vague "sports" "reading" or "board games". Mums more than Dads seem to disapprove (Dads sometimes look wistfully hopeful when I politely advocate gaming as being fine).

The rules are probably being made by those who have no understanding of gaming and so lead us to a slippery slope, first they came for the online games....

Yeah, it's a matter of choice for the parents, not the Honourable Secretary of The Party.

With regard to what else kids are supposed to do, though, I don't see why that's a problem. We'd play a couple of hours on the Megadrive, then go and play ball, or see what mischief was available in the park. Or play with my Lego, or dig a hole. I dug a really big hole once. I was very pleased with it.

So I read the article and an interesting comment there brought up that many kids involved in online gaming form connections and friends with groups which might encourage dissident activities. This might be more important for the Chinese government to put a stop to than game addicted kids.

Because we all know China is ever so concerned about child welfare.

The parents have to get up off their collective duffs and participate with their children. Like, for instance, I was heavily into fencing yet it wasn't of interest to my son, then he glammed onto tae kwon do, and was seriously hooked! You as the parent might have to try a few different activities, yet most children love the athletic endeavors and just need some help finding something that suits them. /gets down off soap box.

I've chatted with parents who want to curb/stop their children "staring at that thing all day" and never had a decent answer to what children should be doing, other than a vague "sports" "reading" or "board games". Mums more than Dads seem to disapprove (Dads sometimes look wistfully hopeful when I politely advocate gaming as being fine).

The rules are probably being made by those who have no understanding of gaming and so lead us to a slippery slope, first they came for the online games....
I believe some parents think gaming in itself is harmful (which, as far as I know, doesn't seem to be the case), but most are more worried that their kids are immobile too much. And that is actually a bad thing for one's health in the long run. Everything in moderation is a good rule (except kindness. There can never be too much kindness) :)

New things have been a worry for parents since forever and the solution has likely always been: "go and play with your friends"...

I don't think gaming is harmful to kids, but I believe that too much of the same thing is bad for their development. It could be gaming, watching TV or playing tennis.

It depends on the age too. They don't separate fiction from reality very well until late, so there's not only the question of how much, but of what they're playing.

Then there's the contacts they get through this. It's already bad enough on social sites like FB, it's often just a succession of drama. And that's with people they actually met, from the same age, environment and culture. Gaming is something entirely different.

Unless you've at least lived in China you will struggle to comprehend the mentality of the general public and the government. People equate Communist China with a Dictatorship Korea and its not the same. From a western mindset its easy to think you are superior with freedom and choice and lack of government policy. Ironically Americans with their lack of government control and influence have higher suicide rates than China and less effective government programs.

I'm not saying what they are doing all the time is right. I'm saying that the picture of the oppressed Chinese average citizen under the big thumb of the government isn't a picture of reality for the average citizen.

Chinese government takes the role of a benevolent parent. Sometimes taking away certain 'rights and freedoms' in exchange for safety, security, and in the long term best interest of the general public.

Chinese government takes the role of a benevolent parent. Sometimes taking away certain 'rights and freedoms' in exchange for safety, security, and in the long term best interest of the general public.

When you read 1984, were you rooting for the government?

Rights and freedoms doesn't belong in quotes. They are actual rights and real freedoms. Long term best interest to the public to do what? Join armies, contribute to the economy, procreate to make more workers and soliders? Sure. Live a meaningful, creative life that isn't a copy of everyone else's life? That's a lot more difficult in a system like this.

I'm no American exceptionalist, but I'm glad we get at least this part right. Not that there haven't been many within the U.S. government who have tried to control what people see, listen to, play, read and think.

I think we are getting into P&R territory. That's fine - I can move it if you guys want to discuss.

Back
Top Bottom