New Schnauzer Puppy naming convention

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
We're trying to figure out a name for our new female Schnauzer pup (getting her next weekend), and have been trying to figure out something that's cool and kinda geeky. I was thinking like Imoen or something, but it would be "imo" (emo) for short - nah. I dunno, hit me w/ some suggestions!

So far we've been batting around:
-Jasmine
-Sally
-Mischief

I know that Sally right away sounds pretty dumb, but I've known some people to have animals named typically non-dog names, like Fred or Jack, and it ends up working out really well.

Attachments

• 4RiverJoshuaPinkBandSPF041810-1.jpg
    4RiverJoshuaPinkBandSPF041810-1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Our dog's name is Jekku, which is Finnish for Prank. I think that'd work in English too.

I know that Sally right away sounds pretty dumb, but I've known some people to have animals named typically non-dog names, like Fred or Jack, and it ends up working out really well.

Yeah, I'm partial to those kind of "human" names as well. My dog is named Anna and my bird Sally. Works for me.

Betsy? She looks kind of like a Betsy to me. I don't know, I suggest you google dog names and look at a bunch, see which one feels right.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We're leaning towards Lucy. We were thinking Zelda, but it's sorta like "Gizmo", seems like it would be trite or overused

Last edited:
Lucy would be a good name.

Which leads to the mandatory line when finding a mess on the carpet, "Lucy, you gots some splainin to do!"

Naming is really hard sometimes—others the name just pops into your mouth after a few minutes with the creature(I'm not including humans, of course.) Schnauzers are a german breed; I think Brunhilda could work. ;) Seriously, Valkyrie, Gretta, Dresden, there are all kinds of possibilities. My favorite of all time was a friend who named his lugubrious, short-legged basset hound who waddled around with his ears dragging the floor Lobo.

Last edited:
Lugubrious would be a good name too.

A guy I knew named his Pomeranian "Stinker" since he figured he'd be calling it that most of the time anyway. In the same vein, I've considered changing my peke's name to "Little Bastard". ;)

There's also the old tradition of naming dogs after enemies. Could it be that some RPGWatchers are honored this way...?

There's also the old tradition of naming dogs after enemies. Could it be that some RPGWatchers are honored this way…?

Hmmmm...renaming my terrier with a certain hamster appellation, perhaps? It would actually be fairly appropriate...

Maybe next time.

Finally got her, it's been a long day. Had to drive around 5 hours round trip to get her.

I have to say they we're really surprised how awesome she is. Ive never seen a puppy that has such a good temperment right out of the gate. And she's even making a good showing of going potty either outside or in the little sod box we made (put a layer of sod in a plastic tray thing). She's had a couple accidents, but she's still getting acclimated, and her diet's totally changing (breeder had her on a raw meat diet). Thank glot it's a tile floor down there.

Usually the first night w/ a puppy is hell, they just go nuts, and she did - for like two minutes. Now she's sleeping soundly, yay! Doesnt seeem to be affecting my allergies at all either, it just may work out…… **knocks on wood*

Attachments

• lucy01.jpg
    lucy01.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
  • lucy02.jpg
    lucy02.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 56
  • lucy03.jpg
    lucy03.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 55
Hope Lucy is happy in her new home. Cute doggie. I bet she'll be poking around and getting into trouble in no time. :)

The dog looks absolutely way cool and like an insect with the eyebrows—in a totally good way, of course. (I'd probably be calling her Mantis) :) Congrats and hope she works out. (Dogs force you to exercise, among their other good points.) Glad to see you're crate training her—that's absolutely the best way to housebreak a dog, and gives them the most security also if you're both away from home a lot.

Lots of breeders go the raw meat route. Supposedly because it's the naturally intended diet, easy on their stomachs, good for the coat, etc —the big breeders of the Giant Schnauzers feed them whole raw chickens. o_o (plucked, hopefully.) The lady I got my dog from compromises by using a meat based feed called Bil-Jac-(available in the freezer section of the local grocery.) Expensive though—it's a treat at our house because we feed kibble mostly.

Enjoy. There will be days, though….but all worth it imho.

I'll never make jokes about women with beards anymore ... ;)

We had a Schnauzer named Suzi for many years. She had a twin sister named Lucy. When the original owner died, her kids wanted to keep Lucy, but Suzi had fatty tumors and was not as pretty. They were going to destroy Suzi but a co-worker brought her in to work on the day they were going to kill her and I took her home with me. I got her when she was 7 and she lived for 8 more great years. She was an awesome dog and absolutely loved chasing the ball. I probably need rotator cuff surgery from the number of times I threw a tennis ball for that dog :)

Schnauzers are great!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom