Skyrim Level Scaling

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I found an enchanted Ebony shield that was much higher than my level at the time. Found it in an expert locked chest. The only expert lock I've picked thus far. I'm level 24 and still haven't seen any other Ebony yet.

Interesting. I found an enchanted Dragonbone shield in a bandit mine yesterday (locked chest), but it was the first and last Dragonbone item I've ever picked up from loot. I haven't even encountered Daedric stuff yet. Right now, everything is mostly Ebony.

I found 13 gold in a chest behind a master door yesterday.

I think that higher level loot obtained at somewhat lower levels is likely part of how random loot is scaled, not really an aspect of hand placing.
Say, at char level 0-20, chance of ebony stuff being generated as a "special" loot is zero, at 21 - 25 it´s 5%, at 26 - 30 it´s 10%, etc. I reserve the right to be wrong though :).

I think that higher level loot obtained at somewhat lower levels is likely part of how random loot is scaled, not really an aspect of hand placing.
Say, at char level 0-20, chance of ebony stuff being generated as a "special" loot is zero, at 21 - 25 it´s 5%, at 26 - 30 it´s 10%, etc. I reserve the right to be wrong though :).

I would guess that is exactly how it works. Plus there are some mid-range items scattered about that you can get at low levels, but it's rare.

The day Skyrim came out I was like level 12 running around outside some town, and got some kickass archery gloves off some roaming named. Now I'm level 38 and still using those gloves -p. They have a really crazy loot system in the game, that's for sure!

-Carn

Steam says I've played 35 hours and I'm still only level 11. How did you get to level 12 SO quickly?

I am now at level 16 after played 34 hours. Involved in a lot of combats and frequent uses of skills (casting, lock picking, one hand sword) might helped my quick level up…

Steam says I've played 35 hours and I'm still only level 11. How did you get to level 12 SO quickly?

You'll level a lot faster if you focus on a couple of skills that go to 100 easily enough(say, sneaking and pickpocketing), after 30 hours I was already in lv40s.

I joined the imperial Legion at level 26 - their first quest had me spitting venom, when my buffed mage was eviscerated by a two bandits. Definite (and implausable) level scaling. Good thing they don't pursue your through doors.
Also, I have 300 armour but it seems to count for very little - as the bandits demonstrated by killing me in 3 blows.

@DeepO: do you know if items always stack? I have two items which boost mana regeneration by 100% - does that mean 200% if I wear them both? The 'active effects menu' simply lists everything - no cumulative values e.g. total fire resistance etc. Another wierdly bad design decision. They should have a total and then list what contributes to it - they would be a lot easier to figure out.

Also, I have 300 armour but it seems to count for very little - as the bandits demonstrated by killing me in 3 blows.
Get perks - for example Juggernaut perk(s) for heavy armor pwns in fights.

Corwin, just don't do fastlevelups as some prefer for whatever reason, you'll have a hard time with all mobs. IMO Low level character = easy fights, High level char = why are mobs suddenly invincible? It took me days of play to get to level 30 and now I'm happy as a child - dragons are not a problem at all (well... not as I thought they would be since in the meantime I looted some nice equips with reststances to fire and ice) however I've stumbled upon a dwarven centurion master that took me 10 minutes or even more till I finally nailed the bastard!

One thing... Seems that upon levelup all mobs get a bit of resistance to the skill you use the most. In my case I have a hard time to kill anything with electricity although my destruction is now 70, but with one-handed mace and one-handed skill below 40 I kill anything with just a few blows. Go figure.

Item scaling is actually a bit odd. I decided to craft a set of powerful items for my mage the other day, using 100 smithing and 100 enchanting. I put -25% mana usage for destruction spells on as many items as possible. End result? All destruction spells cost 0 mana. Yep, zero. Nothing. Nada.

Ended up being able to throw around Expert and Master level magic infinitely. It completely trivialized the rest of the game.

Get perks - for example Juggernaut perk(s) for heavy armor pwns in fights.

I have perks, mostly alternation and destruction. I focussed on Mage Armor etc. I can't wear armor - that's the sacrifice you make to get a a huge armor rating boost. I had assumed that an AR of 300 was quite high and actually negated a lot of of damage, but if 'bandits' can slice through it, then that is not so.

Maylander, ROTFL

Where were you a week ago with that info, my mana is now about 400 and HP about 200… And I could easily have HP 600 and play a tank mage, hehe… Arrrrrrrrrgh!
Hmmm… Is there a mod already to reset stats? :evil grin:

booboo… dunno what to say, we all took a different style… anyway, since I still didn't pick a side in the "civil war", anything you can tell me about it without spoiling too much? for example… do I get a house in both towns no matter which side I take?

I know what you mean, I had well above 500 mana when I finally realized I could negate mana usage completely. Certainly not doing that again - just pump enchanting, grab a few grand soul gems and wham, no mana usage.

Maylander, ROTFL

booboo… dunno what to say, we all took a different style… anyway, since I still didn't pick a side in the "civil war", anything you can tell me about it without spoiling too much? for example… do I get a house in both towns no matter which side I take?

Not sure really - I haven't yet visited a Stormcloak town after joing the Legion. Is suspect I won't get a warm welcome. I doubt they will sell you a house after you choose a side, although I would guess (?) that you would still own the house you had before? I'm to poor to buy a house ;-)

@DeepO: do you know if items always stack? I have two items which boost mana regeneration by 100% - does that mean 200% if I wear them both?
Yes. There may be some cap in place, but 100% definitely isn´t max.
For example, master robes of restoration I´ve found grant 150% regen alone.

The 'active effects menu' simply lists everything - no cumulative values e.g. total fire resistance etc. Another wierdly bad design decision. They should have a total and then list what contributes to it - they would be a lot easier to figure out.
That would be also yes :).

Item scaling is actually a bit odd. I decided to craft a set of powerful items for my mage the other day, using 100 smithing and 100 enchanting. I put -25% mana usage for destruction spells on as many items as possible. End result? All destruction spells cost 0 mana. Yep, zero. Nothing. Nada.

Ended up being able to throw around Expert and Master level magic infinitely. It completely trivialized the rest of the game.

You still need mana for the rest of spells though. I found summon daedra lord to be very useful ^_^

You still need mana for the rest of spells though. I found summon daedra lord to be very useful ^_^

Yes, that's true. I use quite a lot of Restoration and Conjuration, but not enough to make a dent in my mana pool as long as Destruction is cast for free.

Actually you don't have to have a single mana point for that. Hint: solve the drinking contest in a certain tavern.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom