Risen 3: Titan Lords - RPC 2014 Presentation

Looks like more of the same with the addition of Swimming and Climbing, thank you!

Anything new or innovative?

They claim that combat has more options and you have to use different tactics for each enemy. You have to become better in character skills, player (mouse+tactical) skill and have to find better gear to survive harder enemies.

Well that was the case before, but maybe they meant something different?

More options is also good, but just more of the same thing.

The whole presentation sounds that you'll get the best out of Gothic 1-3 and Risen 1-2 with lesser Pirates.

More options is also good, but just more of the same thing.

If you think about it, all the Gothic and Risen games follow the same formula (starting weak, survive, choose path/faction, kill boss). The only exception that I found was Gothic 3 where there was no boss to fight and the ending depended on your actions.

My point is that this formula and associated mechanics is what distinguishes PB games from the rest, and what made their games successful. They seem confident with this formula, and they continuously derive from this formula and tweak some of the mechanics (combat, crafting, magic .. etc.).

I only hope that they do a proper ending, or player driven ending and don't do moneygrab DLCs.

I don't think that they have the resources to deviate from this formula, otherwise they would not have been able to release Risen 3 two years after Risen 2.

I'm a little surprised by the announcement that this is the final game in the series. It makes their decision to go with a new protagonist even more curious to me.

That list does look impressive though...

It makes their decision to go with a new protagonist even more curious to me.

Maybe they run out of gimmicks to use on explaining why our uber powerful protagonist is again a wimp that gets eaten by scavengers in the wilds ;)

I mean after you do the amnesia thing and the wastrel drunkard thing and the" he was too long on a boat trip" thing you are left scratching your head about what to do to the poor sod next :D

Seriously though, and this being not very important in the long run, to me at least, I like the idea of switching protagonists every now and then and keeping the old one as a figure (either alive or dead) in the game world (with potentially other familiar npcs), as I believe they are doing here, even more :)

I, for one, welcome the return to swimming and climbing. I used to spend hours randomly wandering around G1 & 2 trying to get to odd places. I'd be thrilled when I found some trinket or weapon or piece of armor. To me it adds to the feel of a real world. It was a blast making it to some seemingly inaccessible place and looking out over the landscape. You just never know what you'll find or what may want to kill you.

I recall in G3 finding a somewhat backdoor way into Nordmar. It's up where the Gargoyle is located, kind of back beyond where you have to go on a Troll hunt. You find an abandoned camp and keep heading north. The land gradually turns snowy and icy and next thing you know, you're in Nordmar. It's up and behind the domed city (can't recall the name of it). Anyway, it was fun.

There are actually 3 ways to get into Nordmar that I know of. Through Faring, through the pass over Vengard as you say (mind the Ogres ;) ) or freeing and following the captive Nordmar warrior in Silden (through the pass) .

I do miss that size and complexity of a contiguous world in their games :-/

Lets hope this one turns out as good as they make it sound!

I haven't played the first Risen since its release (apart from a few attempts to replay it that didn't go very far) - and I'm considering replaying the first two games.

My question:

I generally don't enjoy playing mages, but I'd like to try one of the other factions this time - as I went Bandit last time. Which faction is the most different in terms of new story/content, and is it possible to go, say, full out on archery without messing up your build as a non-bandit?

Any worthwhile mods/patches out?

I've actually finished #1 only once (bandit) and done quite a bit more than halfway with the mage (got sidetracked iirc).I believe there is some overlap on the content between the mage and warrior, with some branching during chapter 2 ? The monastery part was pretty good.

Anyways the only mod I use is vurt's DarkRisen texture pack/mod that you can install with the modstarter

Check the screens I guess to see if it matches your tastes

I've actually finished #1 only once (bandit) and done quite a bit more than halfway with the mage (got sidetracked iirc).I believe there is some overlap on the content between the mage and warrior, with some branching during chapter 2 ? The monastery part was pretty good.

Anyways the only mod I use is vurt's DarkRisen texture pack/mod that you can install with the modstarter

Check the screens I guess to see if it matches your tastes

Cool, I'll check that out, thanks :)

Hell, this game starts looking better and better. I would really, really like to see some proper gameplay though (and not some presentation that was taped by a shaky cam).

Hey guys - this is a fantasy world. I'm not fireballing people on my way to work, killing every animal in the woods and pick up every flower from my neighbors garden to make potions. I'm not holding scantily clad vixens in cages. And in my bag is no place for 100 weapons. I'm not smoking stuff every other hour :)

Fantasy games/books = not a place for political correctness

Seconded! :cool:

Fantasy games/books = not a place for political correctness
BS! Witcher games (just for example) are politically incorrect without being misogynistic about it.

That's a nasty suggestion. I guess you expect prisons to be clean, friendly places where women are treated with respect.
Oh for fuck sake. No. But I expect that weak men will be treated the same way the women did.

Weak men are killed instead, that's not good enough for you? The king of the hill has to be into men and display them as sex slaves openly to other potential powerplayers, because that's PC?

Gothic wasn't about a male-only prison.

What kind of never-neverland are you living in?

Anyway, we're off topic again.

Back
Top Bottom