The TV Series discussion thread

I was watching this netflx series iron fist

and the first episode beginning of it was exactly how i was and felt when first getting out of prison and ending up deported in Poland. Anyone seen it?

I flat gave up on Walking Dead, I'll stick with the comic book on that one from now on. Watched the first two episodes of series two for Spider Woman, that's going good so far. The first episodes aren't really compelling to me, but I suspect I'll get back to it soonish.

My number one show right now, and has been for the past few months, is Counterpart. I suspect this show is going to be renewed for several consecutive series, assuming Simmons wishes to do so.

I flat gave up on Walking Dead, I'll stick with the comic book on that one from now on. Watched the first two episodes of series two for Spider Woman, that's going good so far. The first episodes aren't really compelling to me, but I suspect I'll get back to it soonish.

Spider Woman? First time I hear about it.

Peaky Blinders is stellar. Enjoy that, you're in for a real treat!

Didn't someone say it starts strong then totally ruins itself?

I have been watching:
Power

It's a series about a group of drugdealers and how their gang survives whilst being attacked by unknown assailants and one of the two partners is trying to go legit.
They also have a federal prosecutor trying to find their distributor.

The first season was pretty bad, but the characters have become much better as each season passes. I am now watching season 3 of 4.

The Blacklist

This is a show about a most-wanted fugitive giving himself up to the FBI for unknown reasons in return for immunity for prosecution. His deal is to give up other criminals to the FBI to one FBI rookie agent.
I enjoy the actors in this one a lot. I think Spader is really good.

Ahhhh on the Netflix they call her and the show Jessica Jones, but to me she'll always be Spider Woman, from when I first read about her in the Alias comic books. Sorry for the confusion.

Ironically, The Walking Dead has gotten watchable again in the last few episodes of the season. I was just about to give up on the series since it seemed to be just one cloying action sequence after another interspaced with melodramatic character explorations filled with pretentious montages of Sergio Leone-esque close-ups of faces and sweating brows and tears and shit courtesy of neophyte FX make-up artist turned director Greg Nicotero. But I'm enjoying it now.

But my favorite series (mini-series?) right now is The Alienist. A dark and nasty, sometimes shocking study of the mentally unstable denizens of late 19th century New York, some of them serial killers, but mostly the wacky amateur detectives and "alienists" (early psychological profilers) themselves who are as nutty as the compulsive pederasts & psycho-killers of transvestite child-whores they track. Fun show.

I really enjoyed the Alienist books, and I'm hoping the show gets up here at some point, or maybe on the Netflix. I doubt the show will equal the books, but I'd certainly give it a watch or two. Carr has a different way of telling a story and I'm not really sure if his style would translate well into other mediums, but I'll hold judgement until I see for myself.

Just started watching Colony, which stars Sawyer from Lost and the woman who played Rick's wife in the Walking Dead. It's set after an alien invasion of earth, with society split between those collaborating with the aliens, those resisting, and those trying to get on with their lives. Interestingly, three episodes in and the aliens have been unseen and largely just hinted at - the conflict has been entirely human, between those collaborating and those resisting. So far I'm enjoying it.

For once I actually agree with JackingOffOwls. I've been watching The Alienist, and it is indeed an excellent series. I might have to check out the novels when I have time.

American Crime Story season 1

very good and intense, but wanted more shots from back then with the original people

For once I actually agree with JackingOffOwls. I've been watching The Alienist, and it is indeed an excellent series. I might have to check out the novels when I have time.

Well, hallelujah, we agree JDR13! (you know, I just can't see that username "JDR13" without thinking of the bald, chemically desexed, human drones from THX1138 where everyone is named with a number :lol:). By the way, new season of HBO's Westworld coming up in just a month! You, NewDArtless and all the other Westie fanboys should be getting your vaginas moist over that prospect right about now! :p Personally, was not a fan of the series, as you well-know.

I'm just about to give up on Jessica Jones season 2. I loved the first season, but I'm on episode 7 of season 2 and it feels like I'm watching a freaking soap opera.

Colony meanders a bit in the telling of the overall story, but hard to avoid that in the television of today. I keep hoping to see actual aliens wreaking unholy havoc, maybe that's coming up at some time.

I find that many of the US series suffer from the need to stretch over too many episodes; butter scraped over too much bread. It's a pity, because I think there's more quality in the US than the UK these days, but they could benefit from more brevity and focus.

I find that many of the US series suffer from the need to stretch over too many episodes; butter scraped over too much bread. It's a pity, because I think there's more quality in the US than the UK these days, but they could benefit from more brevity and focus.

Amazing as it may sound, there was a time in television history starting in the 1950s/60s where 28-32 full episodes per season was considered the norm for a series. Imagine all the crap and filler that must have been contained therein? Makes me thankful that we typically only get 12-15 eps these days, and even that's waaaay too many episodes for too many shows. Game of Thrones was only 6 episodes last season, and they made every single one of those episodes count. Bless 'em.

Amazing as it may sound, there was a time in television history starting in the 1950s/60s where 28-32 full episodes per season was considered the norm for a series. Imagine all the crap and filler that must have been contained therein? Makes me thankful that we typically only get 12-15 eps these days, and even that's waaaay too many episodes for too many shows. Game of Thrones was only 6 episodes last season, and they made every single one of those episodes count. Bless 'em.

I say tell your story and get out. The Brits still seem to be telling their stories along those lines. I would have no problem with a 4 episode season and then let them come back 9 months later with another season.

and BTW, you can tell when they are doing filler because the first thing that comes to my mind is what hijinks are these characters getting into this week . . .

So a couple weeks ago I was sick and just checking out anything and everything. Food Networks Food Fact and Fiction is excellent and along with Science Channel How Things are Made.

But what startled me was some of the "new" cartoon that are on cable. In particular The Amazing World of Gumball, and We Bare Bears. The story telling is so contemporary. Gumball dealt with addiction to internet vids in one episode and another episode dealt with the father being a cross dresser because he could only make friends with older women (the older women were clearly portray as the Golden Girls). Gumball also has a lot of singing that is surprisingly good.

We Bare Bears is three bears (Grizzly, Panda, Polar) living together in a home deep in the woods but the bears are totally domesticated and interface with the human populace like its no biggie. They do all the things that humans do except they are bears. And the bears acknowledge they are bears themselves along with everyone in the world. Panda is internet addicted and always looking for a girlfriend, Polar is some kind of ninja that is also a master cook, and the Grizzly is kinda the leader but is a total slacker. Yea, probably TMI, but the episodes are only 5 to 10 minutes so you wont feel ripped off in you don't like it. Additionally, you get to see all the new Toy commercials that the media is pumping out .

Both shows have been on for a couple years. And while the show on the surface appears to be geared to kids the underlying subject matter is very adult. Perhaps too adult for some . . . not for me.

Back
Top Bottom