Pillars of Eternity II - Features Trailer

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A new video for Pillars of Eternity II is showing the features of the game.

More information.

I find the part where the party walk over traps exploding over them kinda hilarious...because in the real game that's basically a death sentence.

By the way, the music is not from the game, it is Lullaby Of The Siren by Audiomachine.

Tis a shame that Paradox and obsidian had a fallout after poor Tyranny sales.I was hoping for more expansions, and possible future sequels of Tyranny.
Paradox's Shams Jorjani, Paradox’s vice president of business development, and CEO Fred Wester. They were hugely positive about Tyranny and Obsidian, but they admitted that it didn't meet their sales expectations and that, perhaps, this type of RPG wasn't wanted anymore. Jorjani said:

"We've seen that most of the titles after Pillars of Eternity, if you look at Wasteland, Torment - they haven't been anywhere near that kind of success. So maybe it's that a lot of nostalgia fed into the initial bubble and that's why. These games have a market, but it's never gonna be that peak .” He also compared them to the point-and-click adventure, saying "this form of gameplay isn’t really working in today's environment."
Tyranny really surprised me, as I actually prefer the lore and everything in Tyranny to PoE. I think they did a fantastic job with the world building and the characters.

Now back on topic I think I'll wait for the gold edition with all patches, and DLC.

""We've seen that most of the titles after Pillars of Eternity, if you look at Wasteland, Torment - they haven't been anywhere near that kind of success. So maybe it's that a lot of nostalgia fed into the initial bubble and that's why."

I wonder if he isn't comparing apples and tangerines here (or something similar). PoE had tremendous media attention and it was also a traditional fantasy-rpg that looked great on picture, in other words it was something that was easy for a lot of diverse people to get interested in.

I'm fairly sure far less people had heard of "Wasteland" before and even less of "Torment". To put it simply, I just don't think those games had the same "general appeal" that PoE had, and definitly not the same amount of media/forum attention.

As a side note, I'm getting fairly sick of reading about "nostalgia" as a reason for gaming. For one thing, it seems somewhat condescending and for another thing, I think it's an inaccurate explanation more often than it's not.

Tis a shame that Paradox and obsidian had a fallout after poor Tyranny sales.I was hoping for more expansions, and possible future sequels of Tyranny.
Tyranny really surprised me, as I actually prefer the lore and everything in Tyranny to PoE. I think they did a fantastic job with the world building and the characters.

Completely agree. I thought Tyranny was fantastic. They possibly messed up the marketing by making it seem like you could only play an "evil" character when the game and world are more complicated and interesting than that. According to Steamspy it shifted 330k copies, which seems pretty decent to me (considerably short of PoE though).

On topic, I think PoE2 is looking great and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. I've previously said I'd wait for patches and DLC before playing, but I suspect I'll end up diving straight in on release.

Completely agree. I thought Tyranny was fantastic. They possibly messed up the marketing by making it seem like you could only play an "evil" character when the game and world are more complicated and interesting than that. According to Steamspy it shifted 330k copies, which seems pretty decent to me (considerably short of PoE though).
Here is an old link from last year with more info.

Link -https://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-sales-paradox-obsidian

My opinion is Paradox wanted to sell a million copies with countless DLC's.
On topic, I think PoE2 is looking great and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. I've previously said I'd wait for patches and DLC before playing, but I suspect I'll end up diving straight in on release.
I backed the first one but after the countless patches I learned to wait.

Torment sales shouldn’t surprise anybody. The original may be loved but it was a sales disaster. PoE has a polarizing game system compared to Baldurs etc. which combined with poor marketing put Tyranny in a pretty awful position out of the fate.

Torment sales shouldn’t surprise anybody. The original may be loved but it was a sales disaster. PoE has a polarizing game system compared to Baldurs etc. which combined with poor marketing put Tyranny in a pretty awful position out of the gate.

Here are some numbers from steamspy (which ignores gog,consoles, …):
poe: 1.2 million
d:eek:s: 1.2 million
shadowrun returns: 1.1 million
shadowrun: dragonfall: 850K
wasteland 2 (DC): 800K
shadowrun: hong kong: 600K
tryanny: 300K
tormnet: 200K
-

I think wasteland 2 sold quite well esp due to the reasons mention above. Torment is a niche product so not sure how to translate those sales; hence the only really poor seller is tryanny. Not sure if it is because of lack of exposure or publisher input on game mechanics. Will be interesting to see how POE-II sells (which looks really good); bard tales VI, battletech and wasteland 3 - of course this data won't be available for a couple of years.
-
Obviously the shadowrun games were a lot less expensive then the others but I think they were all profitable 'cept for maybe torment. The question is are they profitable enough for a small publisher to take a cut ?

DOS II seemed to be the only one that released more $ succesfull sequel. They're right it's a very limited audience and it's the only game here that looked more up to "modern tastes".
Still don't know why they won't design something more in line first Dragon Age( think it went somewhere along 4-5 million copies).

I'm happy that they are niche games that appeal to a more limited audience with specific tastes. Otherwise they'd be forced to enter the "race to the dumbed down bottom" cycle. As long as the sales are sufficient to be self-sustaining, we can keep getting new titles. Hopefully they will continue to be refined and improved, as happened with the GoldBox games.

That video actually gave me goose bumps. I hope it sells at least a million copies, but I think it's more likely that it sells less than PoE.

PoE was the first Major throwback Kickstarter AFAIAO and like some people here mentioned it got a LOT of attention. But it also was pretty heavily flawed at release (MUCH better with expansions and patches), so I doubt all those buyers actually enjoyed the game and are likely to purchase the successor. Hope I'm wrong though.

Hard to tell; the only other sequel was shadowrun and it makes sense why it tailed off.

DOS II seemed to be the only one that released more $ succesfull sequel. They're right it's a very limited audience and it's the only game here that looked more up to "modern tastes".
Still don't know why they won't design something more in line first Dragon Age( think it went somewhere along 4-5 million copies).

Now back on topic I think I'll wait for the gold edition with all patches, and DLC.

I agree actually. Tyranny really holds a lot of potential. I hope Obsidian kept the rights, so they could potentially develop more even if Paradox doesn't.

I agree actually. Tyranny really holds a lot of potential. I hope Obsidian kept the rights, so they could potentially develop more even if Paradox doesn't.

Paradox was just the publisher, don't think they have any rights.

If I get a vote for a sequel from Obsidian, make it Alpha Protocol.

Paradox was just the publisher, don't think they have any rights.

Paradox owns the rights to Tyranny not Obsidian. This was an old fashion deal, not just a distribution one like for Pillars of Eternity.

Paradox owns the rights to Tyranny not Obsidian. This was an old fashion deal, not just a distribution one like for Pillars of Eternity.

Ah. Well, it's doubtful there'll be a sequel so the point is moot anyway.

Back
Top Bottom