Last game you finished, tell us about it

But I also just finished No One Lives Forever, and am working on NOLF 2 for a retro on he pair ... such wonderful games that combine Monolith's excellent shooter skills with wonderful stealth and spy gadgets.

Don't forget the humor which is the best I have seen in any shooter games. I still remmember many of the conversations the enemies had it was great to just stay and listen to them. They took their membership of the evil organization HARM very seriously hehehhe. I am not sure about the exact wording.

"I am very concerned about my laugh"
"Why? your laugh is completely fine!"
"Yes, but I don't think it is evil enough"

Followed by the guy trying to make evil laughs :D

I have to say it is my favourite series of shooting games of all time. Anyone know if number 3 is up? they were going to make it but after the catastrophic contract Jack, I don't know how it would fair!

I don't know - the sales were terrible, as it languished on shelves while winning GOTY awards ... sad.

I was thinking of getting those for my GF, though she's very happily playing Bloodlines through once again.

I just finished Avernum 5... whew... what a journey. I don't know how many hours it took me but it was time well spent, hours of lost sleep all worth making it to the end of another Jeff Vogel epic.

I really loved that game. I have to say that I liked it more than Avernum 4, but not quite as much as Geneforge 1. I won't be long winded here, but if you like a CRPG with lots of story, lots of combat, lots of quests, and tons of atmosphere... you shoudl play Avernum 5. Of course you have to like turn-based combat, and you have to be ready to play a game that doesn't coddle you like a little baby. The battles are tough and they just get tougher the further you progress into the game.

There are some nice surprises... some cool skills... and a lot of fun to be had!!!

Now I have to take a break from Spiderweb games for a month or two... I'm going to replay Might and Magic - World of Xeen... and I think I'll replay Dungeon Lords (yes I'm one of those nuts that loves that game).

There's nothing like the feeling of finishing a game like Avernum 5... no respawning... no easy battles... no easy choices... it's a blast.

I finished Star Wars The Force Unleashed for PSP ... twice.

Very exciting game, but not all that great. ~6/10.

Jade Empire: SE.

I actually finished it a few weeks ago, I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in now.

I let this game sit on my shelf for 2 years before playing it, for some reason I just didn't think it was my type of crpg. It's definitely a quality game, not Bioware's best, but a great game all the same. I thought the setting, music, and art direction were all very good. The characters were good, but not great, and I found Dawn Star to be the most annoying female npc I've ever had to deal with.

I was disappointed in the lack of different places to travel, only 3 towns\cities in the entire game was a curiosity for a Bioware developed rpg. That being said, there was still a fair amount of content in the game if you chased down all the sidequest. I've heard people say JE was "short", but I thought it was about average in length.

The story was good, with some great twist. I did think... *MAJOR Spoiler*
Master Li being evil
was somewhat cliche and predictable though.

Last edited:
Wasn't that just released last week?!? Is it that short, or do you really have that much free time on your hands?

Yes and no. I really have very little free time ... it is pretty much 'current FPS length', 6 or so hours. Then you can launch into a replay with all of your built-up skills intact, making it even easier. That means the only thing that takes any time is doing the choreographed button pushing to defeat bosses ...

Not much time for computergames while I study as much as I do, but me and my wife had decided to spend the day together. Here's our table in the livingroom after 7 hours of Arkham Horror...
arkhamhorror.jpg

Nice, very nice ... :)

Finished FF IX last night (or rather, this morning ;)).
Wow.
I just love the way they handled the - for me - unpleasant stuff like character development, which I actually thought was a lot of fun in itself. I also loved the visual design... the touch of strangely cute served to enhance what was going on. Not sure if I can handle to return to the more realistic visuals of the other games I still have sitting on my shelf.

Finished FF IX last night (or rather, this morning ;)).
Wow.
I just love the way they handled the - for me - unpleasant stuff like character development, which I actually thought was a lot of fun in itself. I also loved the visual design... the touch of strangely cute served to enhance what was going on. Not sure if I can handle to return to the more realistic visuals of the other games I still have sitting on my shelf.

As far as I concern, FFIX have the best mechanics in the series, save for FFXII. I also loved the artstyle.

that looks fun Jemy, a Lovecraftian board game!

Ive been wanting to play a board game w/ my sweetheart, Ive been looking for a good one to play. Maybe I need to hit a "board games review" site if there is such a thing.

As for me, I'm stuck in the MMO zone - we're wittling away the trial period of EQII. We're having a good time w/ it so far. I bought an 8800 GTS last night, and spent a good time tweaking everything in game to where it looks awesome. I like EQII's style, I think we're going to end up buying the full version.

Unfortunately...

No really, i like playing w/ her and like the game, but the mmo thing... there's so many games out there, and i literally have so many games. It's a drag to have to be exclusive to just one!

that looks fun Jemy, a Lovecraftian board game!
Ive been wanting to play a board game w/ my sweetheart, Ive been looking for a good one to play. Maybe I need to hit a "board games review" site if there is such a thing.

Yes. http://www.boardgamegeek.com

The coolest part with Arkham Horror is that it's co-op rather than competitive. This makes the game feel like you are playing a light version of the roleplaying game. I am used to tactical RPG's but my cohabit isn't so I can help her out if things go wrong. The problem is that it takes awhile to learn the rules, which is why a single game session took 7 hours. :( We also did a few tactical mistakes such as sending off one of our combat-ready characters to do non-combat stuff that took ages and another character got an unlucky curse that disabled her for half the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'd see this bboard game at the next "Spiel International" board games (and more) fair in essen, Germany ...

This is one of Europe's biggest fairs regarding board games (or maybe the biggest, I don't remember).

Several German RPG publishers are displaying their newest materials there.

dtp will be there, too.

Just finished Crysis:Warhead. Very fun game, just like the first Crysis. Not real long, but adequate for a game that was budget priced. Great graphics and gameplay with a decent plot. I'll be looking forward to playing Crysis 2 someday.

Just finished Crysis:Warhead. Very fun game, just like the first Crysis. Not real long, but adequate for a game that was budget priced. Great graphics and gameplay with a decent plot. I'll be looking forward to playing Crysis 2 someday.

It is funny, I largely agree with you but find that my replaying of all these 1998 FPS games has dampened my enjoyment of Crysis somewhat ... I can no longer find a 'great' assessment for anything but graphics.

It is funny, I largely agree with you but find that my replaying of all these 1998 FPS games has dampened my enjoyment of Crysis somewhat ... I can no longer find a 'great' assessment for anything but graphics.

Nostalgia can be a powerful thing, and I try to not let it affect my judgment too much. I tend to think Duke Nukem 3D was\is still the greatest FPS I've ever played. Crysis:Warhead is indeed a very good FPS though, and I've played just about all of them since 93'.

Last edited:
Free-roaming is a rare feature in older games. Solving the game "your way" is the fun part that those new games have to offer. I did a lot of crazy things in Crysis, Far Cry & Flash Point such as driving off-road to places I shouldn't go to, having fun with explosives or sniping down whole army bases from great distances.

Nostalgia can be a powerful thing, and I try to not let it affect my judgment too much. I tend to think Duke Nukem 3D was\is still the greatest FPS I've ever played. Crysis:Warhead is indeed a very good FPS though, and I've played just about all of them since 93'.

Actually this is 'perspective' rather than nostalgia. Because while playing all of those '98 shooters together, and also replaying stuff like NOLF 1 & 2 and some other 2003 shooters I have regained some perspective on the entire genre from first-hand experience. That is illuminating in terms of what games have gameplay that holds up and which ones don't. And in that context I just wonder how we will view Crysis: Warhead in 5 or 10 years, and I am not sure it will be anything but 'solid'.

Back
Top Bottom