Rampant Games - The Golden Age of RPGs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Rampant Coyote has a new blog update where he shares his opinion that 2014 was the start of another Golden Age of RPGs. Now do you all agree with him?

It’s my birthday today. If I had a birthday wish it would be… hmm…. you know what? How about a return to that “golden age” of computer RPGs that I like talking about? You know, that wonderful 5-year period or so between 1988(ish) and 1993 where we just had a ton of classic RPGs released, and a ton of not-so-classic ones as well. I mean, it was THE genre (along with adventure games) back then on the PC. The era of the Ultimas (and Ultima Underworlds), the Gold Box D&D games, Might & Magic, Wizardry, Darklands, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder, Realms of Arkania, Magic Candle, and lots more.

More than I could possibly play, even if I could have afforded them all. Actually, a few of ‘em I still haven’t played – or played more than an hour or two. It was a time of bounty for the RPG fan. If anything, it felt like too many games (as if that could be a bad thing), and it felt like it would never end.

Yeah, good times, good times. I wish we could do that again.

HEY! GUESS WHAT?!?!? MY WISH CAME TRUE!!!
More information.

Nice read. He brings up some good points.

Many times the past couple years I have posted that perhaps we are in a kind of Golden Age of RPGing. I no longer have to search or wait for an RPG to appear. For guilt purposes I am now playing Mass Effect 1, but I have POE, ShadowRun, and Wasteland sitting on my desktop waiting to be clicked. Not to mention Witcher 3 which is right around the corner, and Dragon Age, that is continually beckoning to me.

Why can't days be 40 hours long? Is that to much to ask? I got the money but it's all about time. Precious, sweet, finite human time. Perhaps I should be making some kind of deal with the afterlife folks to take my games with me. Knowing Satan, he'd probably make me play Pong for eternity. On FaceBook. Where I'd have to pay to color up my ball and the court lines, laughing like muhahahahahahahahaha, while I say "shut up Satan I'm at match point". And then he's cut the power and say, "oops, was that me?", while he sticks his little finger in his mouth all innocent like. Damn you Satan, Damn you all to helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Back
Top Bottom