NWN2 Attribute questions about companions.

Neverwinter Nights 2

Acleacius

SasqWatch
I looked in the Manual didn't really find what I am looking for, seems very similar and vague like the Chargen info.

The two I am having a little trouble with are Paladin and Monk.
Why are Charisma and Wisdom important to a Pally, which should I be concentrating on.
Secondly what effect does Wisdom have for a Monk and is it the most important?

Thanks. :)

Those attributes usually affect their spellcasting, but I'm not an expert with either of those classes, only having played each once!!

For Paladins it is Charisma all the way ... but WIS does have to be reasonably high (trying to recall why offhand and failing ... ) But *never* touch it once you start. STR and CHA *only* should be boosted as part of levelling.

Wisdom should be 14 in order to allow the paladin to cast 4th level Paladin spells.

Charisma determines the effectiveness of most of the paladins abilities and also provides a bonus to the paladins savings throws. (normally should be around 16-18 to begin with)

Strength is obviously important for melee effectiveness. (should be around 16 to begin with)

Monks get their WIS modifier added to their AC, and WIS also affects some of their abilities. I generally just put it at 14 at start and leave it be.

Wisdom should be 14 in order to allow the paladin to cast 4th level Paladin spells.
Thanks for reminding me ... I'm sure I'll forget by the next time I'm asked ;)

Thanks for all the answers. :)

Does Wisdom or Charisma determine how many spells a Pally gets, in the same way Int/Wizzy and Cha/Sorc work?

So Widsom is an AC modifier in conjunction with Dex, intresting.
Some reason I keep thinking it had a effect on the power of attcks or something, though I have never played a Pally or Monk.

For a Monk the wisdom score is not only an AC boost but also the score that is added in several of the monk specific feats (e.g. just like strength adds damage in melee and charisma adds to the turn undead ability).

As of right now I can't remember exactly which feats/skills/abilities the wisdom score applies to (it's been a while since I played a Monk) but it is the "recommended score to upgrade" (by the game) when reaching level 4,8,12,16,20.

Druids, Rangers, Clerics and Paladins use Divine spells and they are exclusively dependent on the Wisdom score. Clerics and Paladins also get certain feats and abilities like Turn Undead and Smite Evil. The effectiveness of these feats/abilities are based on the Charisma score. Since a Cleric can cast 9th level spells at higher levels the Wisdom score is by far the most important for a Cleric (you must have a natural wisdom score of 10 + spell level = 19 to be able to cast them and equipment enhancements doesn't apply in this case). A Paladin will never be able to go further than 4th level spells and even though a high wisdom score will mean more spells per day, the trade off is a lower charisma score and this is where the Paladin usually stands out so it's not really worth it.

Neither the Ranger's nor the Paladin's spell repertoire is a match for a Druid or a Cleric but their enhanced fighting prowess makes up for it ... though the multi-ability classes (like Paladins, Rangers and Warlocks) are a little harder to play than a strength boosted fighter or an int boosted mage or a wisdom boosted cleric.

For paladins, wisdom determines spellcasting abilities. (D&D Player's Handbook v. 3.5, page 44.)

Ahh so Monk/Wisdom and Pally/Charisma are the Power of spells/abilities and not quanity. Well if I am understanding it correctly, as I don't have any of the books. ;)

The Pally only gains the ability to cast spells based on Wisdom, so is there any Attribute that effects a Pallys quanity of spells or is it most set in stone based on level?

Thanks. :)

They get bonus spells based in their wisdom. At 14 wisdom I believe you get a bonus 1 and second level spell.

The bonus spell system is the same for all classes that cast spells except it is based on different attributes. i.e. a mage with 14 int gets the same number of bonus spells as a paladin with 14 wisdom.

I would dispute that a monks main attribute is wisdom. It should certainly be as high as possible but most people will focus on maximising strength before wisdom.

I would dispute that a monks main attribute is wisdom. It should certainly be as high as possible but most people will focus on maximising strength before wisdom.

I agree; off-hand, I can recall WIS affecting just Stunning Fist (Wis modified added to DC), and maybe the DC on one or two other monk "spells" that you'll hardly use anyway. So, as I said - just put it at 14 and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom