RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform
I've been looking over failed KS RPGs I've backed & other promising RPGs I've been following and wondering if they'll ever see the light of day. What vaporware RPGs do you really hope will see a release some day? Here's some of mine:

Seven Dragon Saga
- CRPG from SSI veterans, but hasn't had an update in about two years (which barely talked about SDS).

Deathfire or really any CRPG with Guido Henkel as lead developer. He seems to have some great ideas about how to make any interesting RPG, but unfortunately just isn't well known enough to have a big crowdfunding success. Seems like he might be a designer for Realms Beyond or else "Dragon" is just a really big fan of his.

Zaharia- never officially cancelled but the KS funding failed. Since releasing Icy: Enhanced Innervoid have teased that they're working on a new game, but probably not an RPG (clues suggest it has something to do with cooking?). Still hope someday they'll find the funding for Zaharia.

Americana Dawn Seemed like a cool premise, definitely something different. No signs of life since sketches posted on twitter over a year ago.

Prisonscape Apparently still in alpha. No blog posts since last Fall. Somewhat more hope for this one than others, progress has just been very slow.

Last edited:
This won't match the criteria listed above, but I'm still sore about Van Buren. I keep hoping that one day it will magically be revived, somehow.

This won't match the criteria listed above, but I'm still sore about Van Buren. I keep hoping that one day it will magically be revived, somehow.

I didn't have any timeline or other criteria in mind for this. I'll leave up to others what qualifies as vaporware. I'm still bummed about Van Burren, too. I also wonder what might have been if Troika had somehow been able to stay in business & acquire the rights to Fallout instead of Bethesda, and / or make Arcanum 2 with a better combat system... Even though it seems like there's no chance we can always at least someone comes out with a worthy spiritual successor.

Definitely agree with the listed games above, and here are a few more.

Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound - Black Isle

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

Torn - Black Isle

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 - Trokia

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troika_Games

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic III - Obsidian/Bioware

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_...rs:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_3_(cancelled)

Aliens: Crucible RPG - Obsidian

All these game were in development at one time but were either shut down or cancelled. Some might not be considered vaporware but they can still be resurrected.

Last edited:
Regarding Seven Dragon Saga, the most recent communication I could find from TSI was on facebook in January.

Sounds to me like they might be in negotiations with a publisher.. Either that or they're planning another crowdfunding attempt & saving updates for KS / Fig. Only possible reasons I can think of as to why they're being so quiet.

Knights of the old Republic III

Ultima Online 2
(Don't care if it breaches RPG definition. Game had perfect blend of crafting, housing, exploration, PvE, PvP, class choice etc. Nothing has come close as complete package)

HalfLife3 just because I enjoyed the first two and by now its the longest running vaporware joke ever.

Regarding Seven Dragon Saga, the most recent communication I could find from TSI was on facebook in January.

Sounds to me like they might be in negotiations with a publisher.. Either that or they're planning another crowdfunding attempt & saving updates for KS / Fig. Only possible reasons I can think of as to why they're being so quiet.
Good news as I thought it must of been put on ice, or just had enough money for part time work. Hopefully they have more game footage, and details to get funded.

Anyway it's not needed if they found a possible publisher instead. Probably the best way to go at this point. So here's to hoping both option's do happen in the next year.

Last edited:
I hope that's the reason for the silence on Seven Dragon Saga. I was thinking more dire possibilities, but I prefer a better outcome. Fishing for a publisher isn't a bad move at all, and if they find one that could be used as the launcher to revitalize the whole project.

Yeah any time they've been asked about it in the past 2 years, all they've say is "no it's not cancelled but we have nothing to share yet". I can only assume that if it was utterly hopeless they would have officially cancelled it by now or just stopped responding. Hey, if Grimoire can be released, never say never.

Oh I thought of another one. The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death. I missed the KS & was hoping there'd be another. They managed to get Greenlit but the game is cancelled. Saw something about plans to release their editor / assets to the public but not sure if they ever did.

Last edited:
Van Buren content is going into Wasteland 3.
Hmm I remember inXile trademarking the name back in 2015, In one interview Fargo stated he would like to save the IP for a rainy day, and it could fit in wasteland 3.

Link - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-inxile-fallout-van-buren-trademark

Of course there is one problem so we wont see the original concept.
While inXile now owns the trademark for Van Buren, the developer is unable to use any Fallout-related material in a possible game. Everything brand Fallout is owned by Bethesda, and it keeps a tight ship when it comes to copyright. Perhaps more likely is the Van Buren name is used for a new post-apocalyptic role-playing game unrelated to Fallout.

BIS/Obsidian list of canned projects...
You forgot Stormlands.

Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart shares his side of the story.
When he spoke to IGN, he said that the game’s budget and that no one at Microsoft “championed” it are the two major reasons why it was never released. “Why did Stormlands get canceled? Stormlands got canceled because we didn’t have an advocate [at Microsoft],” he explained.

Personally, I was so sad to see The Broken Hourglass cancelled. Had high hopes for that one, since I was fan of many modders who worked on it with Jason Compton.

Dungeons of Aledorn. I was excited about the last kickstarter I ever backed. No updates since 2016

https://www.aledorn.com/

Last edited:
It is a shame when they take so bloody long to actually get the game out that you almost forget all about the thing. I remember being so hyped for Aledorn, now I barely recall the project.

Personally, I was so sad to see The Broken Hourglass cancelled. Had high hopes for that one, since I was fan of many modders who worked on it with Jason Compton.
Can't believe I forgot about that game and I was looking forward to playing it. It was sad day when the announcement came that all development was stopped.
Dungeons of Aledorn. I was excited about the last kickstarter I ever backed. No updates since 2016

https://www.aledorn.com/
Was following the game until they mentioned the English version was not a priority. The focus was on the Foreign version, and you can read that update on this site.

Back
Top Bottom