Looking for Book Recommendations for Christmas

..., The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolffe, and ...

Ugh, no, sorry. Those were way too obtuse for me. I slogged through all 3 of them, but half of the time I had a headache trying to figure out exactly what was going on. I enjoy reading, but not enough to have to analyze every paragraph.

Lots of people praise them, which is why I picked 'm up, but sorry, can't recommend. English is my second language though, so that might have something to do with it, even though I exclusively read in English these days and have not struggled with other books.

Battle Circle is a classic sci-fi book by Piers Anthony
More recently, in fantasy, The First Law series is really good. Here is how I would judge the books:

Book 1 - The Blade Itself -- excellent fantasy book. This is more of a muscular type fantasy than high fantasy, the main character is kind of a brawler and macho type hero.

Book 2 - Before They Are Hanged -- outstanding fantasy, one of the best fantasy novels in years.

Book 3 - Last Argument of Kings -- meh, very disappointing. Can be skipped.

Ugh, no, sorry. Those were way too obtuse for me. I slogged through all 3 of them, but half of the time I had a headache trying to figure out exactly what was going on. I enjoy reading, but not enough to have to analyze every paragraph.

Lots of people praise them, which is why I picked 'm up, but sorry, can't recommend. English is my second language though, so that might have something to do with it, even though I exclusively read in English these days and have not struggled with other books.

Heresy! :biggrin:

Each to their own, of course, and I'm also a heretic on this subject. Many of the fantasy books popular with others I think are juvenile tripe by third-rate writers.

Another series i liked and one that still makes me sad because one graphic scene is called the Briar king by Gergory Keys. 4 book series that are a fast read (much less complex than Tad Williams Shadow March series); but create vivid images of what is happening.

Watership Down is fantastic (reread it a couple of months ago) but I wouldn't call it fantasy or sifi; it is just a story by a father to his little girl about bunnies.
-
Ender Games is very good but then you want to read the gazillion follow up books and some of them are ok but others not so good.

Watership Down

If a dark fantasy doesn't turn you off, the Black Company is a fine read. Cook created a fantastic world here, plenty of books to read and enjoy. Not for the meek, though!!

If you are interested in the Recluce series, which is quite good and one I would second the recommendation, then for your first book I would choose either "The Magic of Recluce", or "The White Order". Both of those books are, in my opinion, among the best of the series. Plus, the magic of recluce is a good introductory book to the world and setting, while the white order is also superb, but focuses more on magic and an apprentice wizard learning spells and magic, that type of story. The whole series is pretty much traditional fantasy though.

Keep in mind the Recluce books are kind of unusual in that there are many mini series in the books. Like, one or two, or three books will all be about one particular character, while the next books will take up an entirely new character and storyline. So you can jump around and read the books in any order, if you want. The thing they all have in common is the setting.

Battle Circle is a classic sci-fi book by Piers Anthony
More recently, in fantasy, The First Law series is really good. Here is how I would judge the books:

Book 1 - The Blade Itself -- excellent fantasy book. This is more of a muscular type fantasy than high fantasy, the main character is kind of a brawler and macho type hero.

Book 2 - Before They Are Hanged -- outstanding fantasy, one of the best fantasy novels in years.

Book 3 - Last Argument of Kings -- meh, very disappointing. Can be skipped.

I read the whole trilogy and thought they were very well written, but I agree about Book 3. The author has a very pessimistic view of humanity, and if I knew how he was going to end the series, I am not sure I would have started reading it. I'm not going to read any of his other books either.

Which book should I start with ???
The first book of each series of course here is the reading order.

01-The Magic of Recluse
02-The Towers of Sunset
03-The Magic Engineer
04-The Order War
05-The Death of Chaos
06-Fall of Angels
07-The Chaos Balance
08-The White Order
09-Colors of Chaos
10-Magi'i of Cyador
11-Scion of Cyador
12-Wellspring of Chaos
13-Ordermaster
14-Natural Ordermage
15-Mage-Guard of Hamor
16-Arms-Commander
18-Heritage of Cyador
20-Outcasts of Order
01-Imager
02-Imager's Challenge
03-Imager's Intrigue
04-Scholar
07-Antiagon Fire
08-Rex Regis
09-Madness in Solidar
10-Treachery?s Tools
11 -Assassin's Price

I also recommend a few Kate Elliott novels.

01-King's Dragon
02-Prince of Dogs
03-The Burning Stone
04-Child of Flame
05-The Gathering Storm
06-In The Ruins
07-Crown of Stars
01-Jaran
02-An Earthly Crown
03-His Conquering Sword
04-The Law of Becoming

Maurice and his educated Rodents - a very good book by Sir Terry Pratchett, imho.
One of the few books I've read several times.

If you want ancient satire, then maybe Lukian is for you, especially if you know a few bits of the ancient Greek culture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian

1. Robin Hobb and farseer trilogy. Other books of her are worth of reading as well. She is really one of a kind. I recall reading her farseer trilogy in a weekend or something back then. It was that good!

2. I like George Martin's ice & fire series very much. Not for everyone I quess. Game of thrones tv series seems to inspire a lot of hate, so I quess that applies for his books as well…

3. Stephen King's Dark Tower series was quite good. It is a bit unven thought. The sixth book in particular was really tedious, but thankfully the last book saves the day.

Last edited:
Watership Down is fantastic (reread it a couple of months ago) but I wouldn't call it fantasy or sifi; it is just a story by a father to his little girl about bunnies.
-
Ender Games is very good but then you want to read the gazillion follow up books and some of them are ok but others not so good.

Ya, wasn't sure what to classify it as, but I decided to go with scifi/fantasy since it deals with anthropomorphism, mysticism, and apocalyptic themes. And if you watch the original animated movie, you really get the dark fantasy feel.

As for Ender's Game, I agree that it stands alone well for most any sci-fi fan. The sequels are very much a love or hate depending on the person's taste.

Maurice and his educated Rodents - a very good book by Sir Terry Pratchett, imho.
One of the few books I've read several times.

I loved that book. Also his other unique ones like the Johnny Maxwell trilogy. And The Carpet People (which was probably the first fantasy book I ever read).

I also have a soft spot for The Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg. About a group of college kids that play tabletop DnD, and get transported into their game. The plot sounds hokey, but well written. He also started an excellent series called Mordred's Heirs, about an alternate timeline where King Arthur was defeated, but died after the second book.

The ice & fire series is 1000 times better than the show; but alas it is not complete and no completion date in sight. Rumor is that he has actually completed the full draft but just needs to do a gazillion edits.... so maybe one day - a lot closer than name of the wind third book.

I read the full dark tower series (every last book include the very last one that was delivered far later than the rest) and while it was ok i don't really recommend any of it. Stephen King has much better books (imho). The Stand is shockingly good but still not the best of the bunch (unfortunately i cant' really which ones are really good as i draw a blank having read at least 20 of them). I will add this tidbit there is one book that is extremely visual and not quite so mystic but it begins with a husband falling dead from a heart attack and a hungry dog...

2. I like George Martin's ice & fire series very much. Not for everyone I quess. Game of thrones tv series seems to inspire a lot of hate, so I quess that applies for his books as well?

3. Stephen King's Dark Tower series was quite good. It is a bit unven thought. The sixth book in particular was really tedious, but thankfully the last book saves the day.

You mentioned Wheel of Time, if you're itching for something in that vein I would suggest The Shadow of What Was Lost by John Islington.

I would like to wish for some books for Christmas.
But I have no idea which books to wish for. I thought people here generally have a taste which match with mine so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions.

I like sci-fi, fantasy, magical realism
I haven't read that much but all lotr, wot, got and Haruki Murakami books.

I don't really like factbooks, crime, romance ( however if it is some exceptional books in this area, those are fine too )

Any books which is exceptionally good works no matter which genre.

And you haven't read the Gormenghast trilogy? Bad you.

Another lesser known series that is quite good (last book not quite as good as first two) is the broken earth series by Jemisin. The overall message has been told a 1000 times but the telling is very good.

Back
Top Bottom