Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Now on Kickstarter

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Solasta: Crown of the Magister is available now on Kickstarter. From today until the 4th of October. They are asking for 180.000 Euros and the Early Brid can get the game for just 18 Euros.

When in doubt, you can try their free demo on Steam and you can read our article on the game, see below snippet:

At Gamescom, I was shown Solasta: Crown of the Magister by Matthieu Girard of Tactical Adventures, who has been in the industry for 20 years and it has been a dream of him to create an RPG like Solasta, which he has been thinking about for a long time, well before Tactical Adventures was founded, which is about a year ago. He has been a big fan of the Gold Box games and obviously played a lot of games since then, of which Baldur's Gate and X-Com were mentioned. His vision for Solasta is to create a game that mixes the best part of the games he likes. As a basis for the game the 5th edition ruleset is used as described in the D&D Open Game License, System Reference Document (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd). The game will stay as close as possible to this document, which results in almost everything requiring a dice roll, which means that there will be quite some randomness and the outcome depends on your abilities and on being lucky.
You can also watch the below videos.

More information.

I just backed them :) I have high hopes the game turns out to be great!!

Interesting concept. The vertical aspect alone makes it intriguing. Character builds seem pretty modest though, but I guess that's appropriate to the budget.

Anyone that tries the demo please post impressions. My PC is down right now so I wont be able to try it.

I swore off backing kickstarters a while back but may make an exception for this.

Hum well the early birds are gone and they do have a early bird 2 for 25$.
-
So sega acquired amplitude; cofounder left to make an rpg.
-
Think I will back this one.

I backed this. It’s the first video game since Realms Beyond I’ve backed on KS.

It’s refreshing to see someone actually ask for enough money to do something with, but it also makes me nervous it won’t get funded. It’s hard for a video game to bring in 200K nowadays. I hope I’m wrong.

I just finished playing the demo.

I have to say, they must fix the camera to convince me to back this game. The camera is fixed on the character you are controlling and it is absolutely clunky to rotate the camera around too - I hate the whole camera control immensely. For example, in the demo you get attacked by bunch of spiders (this is not a spoiler, it is heavily hinted in their website you will be fighting them) and some of them were outside my camera control or just at the edge, I couldn't target them to attack even if they could attack me - this has nothing to do with visibility as some were safely within my camera range but I couldn't make an attack since they were outside of the character's sight.

Also, targeting is off when it comes to multiple levels - there were times when I wanted to move my characters up the level but when I click on the position, the character moves to the position but to the level below.

I get that light is important but the whole dungeon was way too dark even with light spell which I had on two characters - I really like the fact you can cast light spell on multiple characters though.

You can interact with some of the surroundings which I liked - you can ambush the enemies by dropping something on top of them etc.

There are some reaction opportunities like when one of your character falls due to the floor collapsing, one of your mage can cast featherfall to prevent them taking the damage. There is a timer associated with these reaction opportunities, at this point I think it is too generous (you can casually read the description of spells/abilities available to make decision which sounds good but I had so much time left after reading through that it almost didn't feel like "reaction" opportunity but normal action).

All characters are fully voiced and reacts accordingly as per tags given to them - in this demo, characters are pre-generated and you don't get to tinker with their build. All interactions are done as a cut scene in this demo which I wasn't a too big fan of.

Spell effects are very pretty and some spells you can hit multiple targets. You only get 1 action per each character it seems, not sure if there is a way to gain more action points. My whole party got away unhurt from 3 combat encounters I've had. Resting requires rations.

For some reason, combat chat log is displayed on top RHS instead of bottom, I was looking for it during the combat lol.

Overall, very clunky (yes, I get that this is a pre-alpha demo), seems very faithful to P&P to a point it feels like a simple port.

Narrating nonsensical utterances heard for a 1000th time for a game that is weakly done. The Hope of Millenials is shining there with its blinding radiance! Give them Money!

Im done with "investing" in future games. I lost my faith. And without it, Im not able.
So only released games for me (notice I didnt say finished, as I bought for example Kingmaker upon release and I loved it ... so Im not completely stone hearted yet :)

Just to note: Camera is not final. It's a hot topic in the studio, so don't worry you're not the only one^^

Narrating nonsensical utterances heard for a 1000th time for a game that is weakly done. The Hope of Millenials is shining there with its blinding radiance! Give them Money!
So… You played the demo, or is this just one of your usual comments, you like to throw out randomly?

Played the demo and have almost the same impressions as purpleblob. Seeing these giant spiders avoiding light and having a hard time to hit characters in enlightened areas was really refreshing from tactical perspective. I like the idea of verticality as well. I have to admit, though, that camera works really horrible. It ruined the whole experience for me.

I backed this. It’s the first video game since Realms Beyond I’ve backed on KS.

It’s refreshing to see someone actually ask for enough money to do something with, but it also makes me nervous it won’t get funded. It’s hard for a video game to bring in 200K nowadays. I hope I’m wrong.

They do seem to be doing very well so far. Almost at nearly 25% after only one day. Seem to be on track and I'd actually be rather surprised if they don't make it with this early momentum.

I'm sure the dearth of real 5e based CRPGs makes this enticing to D&D fans as does the playable demo; despite some ppl inevitably nitpicking & critiquing a pre-alpha demo as if it were the final product. Speaking of, I need to check that out.

I'd still like to know how they're going to get around the requirement to open source anything based on the SRD. Unless something has changed, I'd have thought this could be tricky. They don't want WotC suddenly kicking them in the back.

I'd still like to know how they're going to get around the requirement to open source anything based on the SRD. Unless something has changed, I'd have thought this could be tricky. They don't want WotC suddenly kicking them in the back.
As far as I understood the license there is no requirement to open source that what you have created yourself.

As far as I understood the license there is no requirement to open source that what you have created yourself.

From what I understand, you must open-source that part of your product which is based on the things licensed under the OGL. There have been discussions about the problems this can present for software implementations of the rules. People have talked about solutions such as farming the "rules engine" of a game out to a separate open-source plugin, which the closed source game then interacts with. The suggestion is that such contortions may be legally necessary.

I just wonder if the team has looked into this, and are sure their position is safe.

Back
Top Bottom