Wolfenstein: Youngblood - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamingbolt checked out Wolfenstein: Youngblood:

Wolfenstein: Youngblood Review - Welcome To Paris

Youngblood is a decent stopgap before we get to the true sequel to The New Colossus.

If you go into Wolfenstein: Youngblood expecting another bonkers narrative rollercoaster full of cinematic and stylish cutscenes that are constantly punctuated by William BJ Blazkowicz's poetic, brooding monologues, this latest instalment in MachineGames' take on the franchise might leave you a bit disappointed. Youngblood is very clearly a side-story, a half-step forward to placate fans with more Wolfenstein while MachineGames works on the true sequel to The New Colossus.

[...]

Final Verdict
Wolfenstein: Youngblood is very clearly not Wolfenstein 3, and you shouldn't expect it to be. It's a side-story before the final chapter in MachineGames Wolf saga, and for what it is, it's a lot of fun. It doesn't succeed at everything it does - the RPG mechanics in particular feel tacked on and needless - but its open-ended nature and excellent level design still make it a really good Nazi-slaying time.

Score: 7.5/10
More information.

And a videoreview you should watch at least the 1st minute of:

Yes, Gamingbolt pretends that doesn't exist.

Score: 5.7/10

More like it. Shoe box size levels, missions that send you back to the same place where enemies simply respawn... Wolfenstein in nothing, bar name. :poo:

Yikes..seems their every SP game is tanking, xcept for Doom, ESO and TES/Fallout.

Yep, Machine games and Wolfenstein has definitely gone "woke" and now has a dismal 2.7 user review score at metacritic, lol. Why did they put two women as the lead characters if they are gonna act like Duke nukem' macho style beer swilling, bloodthirsty grunts, its a mystery. Oh, I forgot, its "woke" to think that women are just like men now… :roll:

Worse, the respawning mechanic they apparently put in the game would drive me crazy. Enemies respawning constantly, really? Ugh. Avoid like plague.

Last edited:
Yep, Machine games and Wolfenstein has definitely gone "woke" and now has a dismal 2.7 user review score at metacritic, lol. Why did they put two women as the lead characters if they are gonna act like Duke nukem' macho style beer swilling, bloodthirsty grunts, its a mystery. Oh, I forgot, its "woke" to think that women are just like men now… :roll:

Dude, shows like Battlestar Galactica had characters like Kata Thrace (who is pretty much like you described the girls from the game to be) since 2004. Entertainment is full of this kind of girl. WTH you're talking about?

Also, it looks like the game has such a low score on Metacritic because some sad losers are review bombing it now with the argument that "gaming has been taken over by the SJWs". Kinda pathetic, really. Doesn't seem to help much that the gameplay doesn't look so good, though, lol. The respawn mechanic does sound like shit, as Arkadia7 mentioned.

gaming has been taken over by the SJWs

true though

Dude, shows like Battlestar Galactica had characters like Kata Thrace (who is pretty much like you described the girls from the game to be) since 2004. Entertainment is full of this kind of girl. WTH you're talking about?

No, I actually love bad-ass women in entertainment.
"Salt" is one of my favorite movies from some years back, and I just saw another movie this summer with the same type theme, "Anna", a bad-ass spy who is lethal, and a young woman, and it was awesome. (" Hannah" is another movie that I recommend with this theme)

But these two characters in this game just are really annoying and not appealing at all. I'm not the one saying it only, there are many reviewers saying the same thing. They aren't written well, and are just plain annoying and shallow, kind of like a stereotypical video game character like Duke nukem'.

Just watch some game play scenes of these two sisters and listen to their cringeworthy dialogue.

Anyway, glad I could explain it further.

Arkane was involved, so I'll check it out eventually. Not in a hurry to do so, though.

Actually the review quoted by Joxer actually found the women were well done and helped the game - the major problems are: a) changes to encourage people to buy virutal cash (gold bars); b) poor level design c) constant respawns (might be related to (a)). This 'game as a service' to find ways to milk player of $$$ after they buy the game is (imho) the the problem with many new big publishers games. Not enough focus on actually making a good sp experience.

Worse, the respawning mechanic they apparently put in the game would drive me crazy. Enemies respawning constantly, really? Ugh. Avoid like plague.

gaming has been taken over by the SJWs

true though

No.
If by gaming you mean the audience, I'm an antisjw example.
If by gaming you mean developers/publishers, KCD is an antisjw example.
If by gaming you mean gaming media… Then I guess it's yes. But then write media.

Oh cool, the misogynistic worthless piles of crap have revealed themselves. Get over yourselves, get a real life, learn something and just STFU about everything with your bigoted bullshit.

ANYWAY, back to the game ...

I am playing this on the Switch, and am finding it pretty fun for what it is, which is a pretty standard modern shooter. I wasn’t as enamored with Wolfenstein II: New Colossus as many, agree it is best of the new series but still too many issues (and too many unskippable cutscenes).

So for me this is a lower-priced shooter that presents some decent challenges, a usual dumb story that only occasionally gets in the way of just shooting crap, and that is about it. Oh yeah, the in-game purchases. Hate those, and yes they push that stuff way too much for what is supposed to be a standalone game. It hasn’t gotten to the point I am considering not playing anymore, but I am less than half-way through based on estimates.

TL;DR - stop embarrassing yourself complaining about female protagonists and complain about the stupid in-app crap instead.

Now now, there is such a thing as implausible characters.

For Wolfenstein, I don't think it's a problem - because the entire game is clearly a ridiculously exaggerated semi-parody.

But enforcing a certain gender, race or sexual orientation in the name of political correctness is not always the best way to combat discrimination.

In fact, it can be a very stupid and counter-productive way to do it.

Understand that I rarely care - unless I really care about the source material.

For instance, I would have a problem with a female Gandalf - but I really don't care about the rumored next Bond being a girl.

I mean, it's all a bunch of implausible shit anyway.

Oh cool, the misogynistic worthless piles of crap have revealed themselves. Get over yourselves, get a real life, learn something and just STFU

Do you really think this is how intelligent worthy educated person with "a real life" speak? :roll:

Do you really think this is how intelligent worthy educated person with "a real life" speak? :roll:

The guy is invested in the subject :)

But why don't you teach us? I would love to know how intelligent and "worthy" educated people speak.

Oh cool, the misogynistic worthless piles of crap have revealed themselves. Get over yourselves, get a real life, learn something and just STFU about everything with your bigoted bullshit.
Not sure who exactly this is aimed at, could be me, but this part IMO deserves thumbup so I've added it. As human beings and not digital dolls some believe are alive, we need to express ourselves. By being honest like this, not like "surprise mechanics" EA's psycho talking to UK whatever comitee.

The rest of the post is, sorry to say it, meh.
I mean… Switch? Man, what's the point of deliberate suffering? :p
I would love to know how intelligent and "worthy" educated people speak.
Okay, you were neglecting gaming bs for a while thus such questions… This is how intelligent and "worthy" educated people speak:

When I grow up I don't want to be Kerry Hopkins.
You? Yes, you do. Admiddit. :p

I don't care either way since the game is apparently mediocre anyways, but I'm still surprised at their decision to go with 2 female protagonists.

I mean, why not have them be fraternal twins? It would have been the perfect set-up - one protagonist of each gender. It was a dumb decision imo and one they probably deserve a little flack for.

joxer, I thought I'd already admitted to being an EA-psychopath :)

I even love Anthem - warts and all.

What more evidence do you need?

Of course, the problem is that I also love the hellishly foul Fallout 76.

I guess that makes me a little promiscuous in terms of my pathology :)

Back
Top Bottom