Final Fantasy VII Remake - Critical Consensus

It's a troll of the female gender iirc.

When someone has a different opinion, however controversial to your own point of view, doesn't make her a troll. And I didn't say how smart I am at any point, I just quoted someone who did. I try to be methodical and thorough in my points, I argument them with points that you may find more or less valid, but I don't just say "it is so because I say so". I can't control how others feel about them, but I never insult or flame anyone. I do get flamed and insulted, and I take no effort to respond in kind. If anything, a bit of satire and a tad of irony. Take it as you will, and really, if my opinion is too much for you to deal with, take a breath, and think about how important the topic you're talking about is to you, and how vital to your daily life. You will find yourself enjoying much more forum conversations, and being slightly less negative about everything in general.

Also, apologies for this derail, I was on topic until I was dragged off it, only temporarily, and no further infringement will come from my side.

PS: I used "you" in the way you use "you" in English, meaning mostly anyone, but obviously addressed at JDR13 in this case.

Well, I'm looking forward to this.

I never played the original. I played video games from the late '70s up until around 1988... then I took a long, long break. Got back into them around 2005.

I gave up on PC gaming mostly because my arm/neck/wrist have been messed up through so much work done on PCs. The last thing I want to do these days is sit at a desk with a M&K while gaming. So it's a PS4 Pro for me when I do game, though I do have a few games on my laptop.

I remember Final Fantasy 7 as the best of the series and look forward to playing the remake… someday. Square Enix is milking it for all it's worth by splitting the original 100 hour game into smaller digestible chunks. This is sure to please the YouTube generation that has trouble sitting for more than 20 minutes at a time. I think I'll wait a few years for the bundle.

I remember Final Fantasy 7 as the best of the series and look forward to playing the remake… someday. Square Enix is milking it for all it's worth by splitting the original 100 hour game into smaller digestible chunks. This is sure to please the YouTube generation that has trouble sitting for more than 20 minutes at a time. I think I'll wait a few years for the bundle.

It was not a 100 hour game for 99% of its audience. You'd have to grind for about 60 hours to fight final bosses to stretch it to that length. We're more looking at extending a 40 hour game into a 100 hour game than the other way around.

FF7 was never my favorite (X, VI and IX hold that distinction, probably in that order), but a lot of what I didn't like about it, like a shitty translation, seems to be improved in this iteration.

When someone has a different opinion, however controversial to your own point of view, doesn't make her a troll. And I didn't say how smart I am at any point, I just quoted someone who did. I try to be methodical and thorough in my points, I argument them with points that you may find more or less valid, but I don't just say "it is so because I say so".

That is a fantastic way to go about things, but not at all how you went about them in this thread.

"Also, it was an average game even when it was first released. Everyone worth their gaming badges know that III, IV and VI are the good Final Fantasy games."

That is textbook "it is so because I say it's so." In one sentence, you have aligned yourself with an imaginary club who have decided what gamers should and should not consider to be good, and told us that that club rejected VII as inferior.

"VII only became famous because a whole generation of "gamers" who thought Playstation was the messiah (When its sole success came from how easy it was to pirate games for it, while every other game system at the time was superior, including Sega Saturn) discovered JRPGs and the "amazing graphics" blew the hype out of proportion."

Now you've managed to claim that everyone but you (and your club, ostensibly) were brainwashed, and again, not real gamers (hence the quotation marks), and that the only possible reason anyone could like FF7 had to do with its graphics, AND claimed that one of the most successful consoles of all time was successful purely because of piracy. I worked at a game store when the PS1 came out and our sales were great, thanks. Maybe YOU pirated games for it, but claiming that the majority of people did is as laughable as all your other unsubstantiated claims.

"VII was the Justin Bieber of gaming. It may sell CDs, but I'll take Madonna or Michael Jackson any day, thank you."

On a roll, you then decide that you alone know what's good in music, too, and somehow think that Madonna and Michael Jackson, two of the most general popular mainstream pop artists ever, demonstrate your impeccable taste. Wow.

You haven't produced, in fact, one single shred of evidence or displayed any critical thought for ANY of your many pronouncements in this thread.

I had only PC in the old days so I didnt play original game when it was released.
It came out on PC. That's where I played it first, actually. Whether you could play it or not depended on what sort of video card you had, though.
@Vindicator; - I don't know about milking it. They really are adding a lot of substance, too, not just padding. Doing the entire game that way would make for a really huge offering. Waiting for the entire set to get done (and on PC) still sounds like a pretty good idea, though.

Let me know when the game is fully complete with all the planned dlc. Also remind me when it has a possible Pc release. Till then I have minimal interest in the console release.

I bought it back in the day in 1999 on PC and it ran on my voodoo2 GPU :) I remember it coming in a 4CD case on PC. I think I still have the case somewhere.

I bought it back in the day in 1999 on PC and it ran on my voodoo2 GPU :) I remember it coming in a 4CD case on PC. I think I still have the case somewhere.

I still have the original PC release as well. It's in one of those pyramid shaped boxes that were common with games published by Eidos.

Yep I still have the white paper case. They re-released it digitally a few years back also. You just have to use a few mods to make it better. They were covered in the news, and it was a graphic and sound overhaul

I still have the original PC release as well. It's in one of those pyramid shaped boxes that were common with games published by Eidos.

Lots of good games came in those damn boxes (Thief 2 ftw), but as an Electronic Boutique employee, I hated those things.

It came out on PC. That's where I played it first, actually. Whether you could play it or not depended on what sort of video card you had, though.

You are right. Interesting I never played it, as I was playing almost everything that was released on PC at that time. FF7 was suposedly first FF game officialy released in my country, so who knows how it was with PC release here at that time. Whatever the reason, I definitely missed on this one, so time to set it right with remake.

That is a fantastic way to go about things, but not at all how you went about them in this thread.

"Also, it was an average game even when it was first released. Everyone worth their gaming badges know that III, IV and VI are the good Final Fantasy games."

That is textbook "it is so because I say it's so." In one sentence, you have aligned yourself with an imaginary club who have decided what gamers should and should not consider to be good, and told us that that club rejected VII as inferior.

"VII only became famous because a whole generation of "gamers" who thought Playstation was the messiah (When its sole success came from how easy it was to pirate games for it, while every other game system at the time was superior, including Sega Saturn) discovered JRPGs and the "amazing graphics" blew the hype out of proportion."

Now you've managed to claim that everyone but you (and your club, ostensibly) were brainwashed, and again, not real gamers (hence the quotation marks), and that the only possible reason anyone could like FF7 had to do with its graphics, AND claimed that one of the most successful consoles of all time was successful purely because of piracy. I worked at a game store when the PS1 came out and our sales were great, thanks. Maybe YOU pirated games for it, but claiming that the majority of people did is as laughable as all your other unsubstantiated claims.

"VII was the Justin Bieber of gaming. It may sell CDs, but I'll take Madonna or Michael Jackson any day, thank you."

On a roll, you then decide that you alone know what's good in music, too, and somehow think that Madonna and Michael Jackson, two of the most general popular mainstream pop artists ever, demonstrate your impeccable taste. Wow.

You haven't produced, in fact, one single shred of evidence or displayed any critical thought for ANY of your many pronouncements in this thread.

This is a long quote, so I will do a quick pass all over it for the sake of every other reader, that probably has no interest on this dialectic quibble you are obsessed with, but basically, it is my opinion, and it is a defensible opinion that FFVII was an average game within the FF franchise, where neither its heroes or villains were amongst the best written ones even within the FF Franchise itself, because III, IV and VI were much better written and had better heroes and villains (if Cloud could hold a candle to Terra, or Sephirot could reach the soles of Kefka, we'd be talking about something else).

So Final Fantasy VII was fireworks, pretty graphics (back in the day, they definitely didn't age well) and cool summons that did away with the amazing job system that the Final Fantasy franchise was famous for, to embrace a simpler (and obnoxiously grindy) gameplay.

Now, you agree or you don't, but that's my point, which is formed by vast knowledge of the FF franchise and countless hours of conversation with those who have played all of the FF games even before they were a thing in the west, and didn't just discover what a JRPG was with their discount sale Playstation. And I stand by it, however much it hurts you.

You want evidence? When it comes to tastes in games or anything else, there is no evidence. Or there is, in a way. Like if someone told me that Sword Coast Legends is the best DnD game based ever, I already know what kind of "gamer" I'm talking to, despite not being able to "evidence" them out of how wrong they are. It can't be explained or proven to them without entering a pointless debate that would lead nowhere, but you "know".

Last edited:
@Nereida;, well that's a lot better post, though it still seems you have to classify anyone who doesn't agree with you as not really being a "gamer."

So you like 6's story a lot more than 7's. That's pretty common. Quite a few folks even say 8 is the best, though I found that game's story to be pretty terrible myself.

When the game showed up on PC months (?) later, it's graphics were nice but certainly not stunning the PC gamers. The characters were ridiculously blocky when not in battle. There was 0 voice acting. Yet the game still got good reviews and sold quite well when re-released on Steam. There's no way this game's popularity comes just from how nice the graphics were on PlayStation.

FF7 was more simple than previous installments… yeah, no. They are ALL quite simple. FF7 (and many other JRPGs) have some optional depth you can get into and then fight optional bosses using those tactics. Same with grinding. You can easily play FF7 all the way through and win the game with no grinding at all. If you're looking to get a gold chocobo, beat optional bosses, or max out every character's limit breaks, though, then you're looking at serious grinding.

Oh, and no, your different opinion is not hurting ANY of us.

Tand it is a defensible opinion that FFVII was an average game within the FF franchise, where neither its heroes or villains were amongst the best written ones even within the FF Franchise itself, because III, IV and VI were much better written and had better heroes and villains

Totally agree with you here ... now I have never been a console gamer but played most of the series on the GBA, DS and PSP (& PS-Vita now). FF VI is my personal fave, the end of one era and to me the culmination.

I did like VII, but at the time (it was 2009 when PSP version released) I expected more based on reputation.

Back
Top Bottom