Broken Roads - Pre-Alpha Showreel

This looks like it has a lot of potential! Hopefully it will turn out well. The release date is late 2021 so there's a long way to go yet.

Looking forward to this. Mutated Kangaroo boxing anyone?

No idea this existed. Looks surprisingly good! Hope they can adjust the zoom level a bit but that's a personal thing

Colin McComb is also the Creative Lead. That was announced back in February.:)

Yeah almost every game in existence borrows ideas from past games and settings.:p

Scrolled by the title really quick and it looked like
"Broken Roads Pre-Alpha Shovelware"

Colin McComb is also the Creative Lead. That was announced back in February.:)

Oh, noooOoooo!! Then the writing is TOTALLY FCKD, because Colonitis ButtComb totally ruins games! Like he did with Numenera! :( nO, nO, No! I dispatched a ConVid-1984 assassin to deal with this humanoid wretch..

Another Fallout 1 clone? I guess it's safer to copy a popular setting.

Do you say the same about every fantasy RPG?

That said, an RPG set in a post apocalyptic setting does not necessarily make it a "Fallout clone".

So, I scheduled an extensive interview over call with the developer. Anything you guys want me to ask him?

So, I scheduled an extensive interview over call with the developer. Anything you guys want me to ask him?
I've got a few questions if you don't mind to ask them.:)

1. What sets/makes it different from all the other Fallout clones?
2. What are your plans for release/early-release?
3. Can you give an estimate on the game length?
4. What game engine is being used to develop the game?
5. Does the game have companions? Please share some info on them if you can?

Last edited:
I've got a few questions if you don't mind to ask them.:)

Ayy ayy will post here once I do the interview

Good work, look forward to reading it!

@Couchpotato;
Well, ‘clone’ is maybe a strong term, of course we have the Australian setting, an art style that is really our own, and of course how much effort is being put into the Moral Compass and the situations that players will face. We are not as heavy on the radiation/zombies/mutants/androids/aliens/lasers/high-tech and so on elements that you may be used to from the Fallout series, and I think there is just a different tone throughout as well.
Right now there are no early access plans but we will most likely run a small closed beta for dedicated community members and testers. We might release a demo - it’s great to see more and more games getting demos in small chunks of content released first, like the old shareware days - showing off origin stories and some of the early parts of Broken Roads, but no promises right now.

25 to 35 hours on a single play through is what we’re looking at at the moment, but with a lot of emphasis on replayability and multiple quest resolutions and quest outcomes, and with four different origin stories that really do plan to many facets of the game, there is going to be lot of content here for people to approach in different ways over and over.
We're using Unity and have actually upgraded to the latest 2020 version.

Yes, and we going to allow up to 5 companions, all of whom are predefined characters with personalities, stories, motivations, fears, desires and of course their own moral leanings - so what you do can and most likely will affect their attitude towards you. We are not writing in complete disbanding/allowing companions to leave you, but they might not be willing to engage in certain quests, can suffer penalties if they don’t like what you’ve done (say you do something morally abhorrent, one of your better-natured companions could suffer morale penalties and find themselves with lower Initiative and thus acting later in combat for a period of time).
I want the team to develop out the characters further before we go too deep into who they are and what they’re about, but we have seven designed and mostly written already. Much more to come on that topic in the future!

Last edited:
@Couchpotato;
Well, ‘clone’ is maybe a strong term, of course we have the Australian setting, an art style that is really our own, and of course how much effort is being put into the Moral Compass and the situations that players will face. We are not as heavy on the radiation/zombies/mutants/androids/aliens/lasers/high-tech and so on elements that you may be used to from the Fallout series, and I think there is just a different tone throughout as well.
Right now there are no early access plans but we will most likely run a small closed beta for dedicated community members and testers. We might release a demo - it’s great to see more and more games getting demos in small chunks of content released first, like the old shareware days - showing off origin stories and some of the early parts of Broken Roads, but no promises right now.

25 to 35 hours on a single play through is what we’re looking at at the moment, but with a lot of emphasis on replayability and multiple quest resolutions and quest outcomes, and with four different origin stories that really do plan to many facets of the game, there is going to be lot of content here for people to approach in different ways over and over.
When using Unity, and of action just upgraded to the latest 2020 version.

Yes, and we going to allow up to 5 companions, all of whom are predefined characters with personalities, stories, motivations, fears, desires and of course their own moral leanings - so what you do can and most likely will affect their attitude towards you. We are not writing in complete disbanding/allowing companions to leave you, but they might not be willing to engage in certain quests, can suffer penalties if they don’t like what you’ve done (say you do something morally abhorrent, one of your better-natured companions could suffer morale penalties and find themselves with lower Initiative and thus acting later in combat for a period of time).
I want the team to develop out the characters further before we go too deep into who they are and what they’re about, but we have seven designed and mostly written already. Much more to come on that topic in the future!

Is this the full interview you've done with them? If it isn't, can you please share it with us?

Is this the full interview you've done with them? If it isn't, can you please share it?

Just finished a very awesome 1 hr call with the lead dev. Hopefully will be able to compile all the necessary info into a preview article for Gameffine this week itself! Will send it to RPG Watch news section!

That was a good read, thanks Yemeth! This project sounds great. The focus on replayability and not being able to see everything in a single playthrough are big plusses for me.

Back
Top Bottom