Microsoft - Acquires Obsidian and InXile

This is Huge News!! :thumbsup:

No doubt both InXile and Obsidian have the talent and experience to build incredible RPGs given the necessary resources, which they'll now have thanks to Microsoft's bottomless money bag. While I wasn't blown away by either Bard's Tale 4 or Pillars 2, I chalk that up to premature birth due to malnutrition. For example, BT4 is a great puzzle game, but they obviously ran out of time and money to flesh out the RPG campaign.

Microsoft's Playground Games, who make those excellent Forza Horizon open-world racing games, has opened a second studio to focus on an open-world RPG, rumored to be Fable 4, but I think they're wrong. Playground has no RPG experience and Fable seems to be an odd choice for them. Given the tone and humor in their games, InXile would be a better fit here.

I believe Playground will be working on Microsoft's biggest secret yet… Halo: The RPG.
Any open-world Halo game would feature many drivable/flyable vehicles, so their Horizon experience would be put to good use. Forza Horizon 4 even features a drivable Halo Warthog. Obsidian could be tapped to assist them with the RPG elements. Remember that Obsidian made KOTOR II. Who needs a Star Wars license when you own the Halo Universe?

Microsoft is busy setting up the chess board in advance of their next overpowered console likely to be released 24 months from now, The Xbox 2.

This whole thing just screams, "Microsoft desperately wants their own XBox-exclusive RPG like The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption."

In what bizzaro world are last of us and RDR rpgs? Open world wastes of time sure, rpg, hell no.

In what bizzaro world are last of us and RDR rpgs? Open world wastes of time sure, rpg, hell no.

RPG or not, they're both good games.

I agree that could be worse. We will see what happens in a while, as i am pretty sure that MS will make an announcement specifying exactly why they did aquire those two studios. They could have gone for ohers, but they've chosen those two.

MS was lenient with Ensemble and Lionhead when they did not rise to the expectations. Sure, they did close those eventually, but if it would have been EA, those studios would have been closed at the first sign of failure. So, MS is a wee bit better.

If MS goes back to Steam, i can see myself buying their games again. But if they keep using the abomination that is Windows Store...Thanks, but no thanks.

This is Huge News!! :thumbsup:

No doubt both InXile and Obsidian have the talent and experience to build incredible RPGs given the necessary resources, which they'll now have thanks to Microsoft's bottomless money bag. While I wasn't blown away by either Bard's Tale 4 or Pillars 2, I chalk that up to premature birth due to malnutrition. For example, BT4 is a great puzzle game, but they obviously ran out of time and money to flesh out the RPG campaign.

Microsoft's Playground Games, who make those excellent Forza Horizon open-world racing games, has opened a second studio to focus on an open-world RPG, rumored to be Fable 4, but I think they're wrong. Playground has no RPG experience and Fable seems to be an odd choice for them. Given the tone and humor in their games, InXile would be a better fit here.

I believe Playground will be working on Microsoft's biggest secret yet… Halo: The RPG.
Any open-world Halo game would feature many drivable/flyable vehicles, so their Horizon experience would be put to good use. Forza Horizon 4 even features a drivable Halo Warthog. Obsidian could be tapped to assist them with the RPG elements. Remember that Obsidian made KOTOR II. Who needs a Star Wars license when you own the Halo Universe?

Microsoft is busy setting up the chess board in advance of their next overpowered console likely to be released 24 months from now, The Xbox 2.

Money alone can't save everything. Publishers usually have release schedules and milestones where things have to be finished on time. If Obsidian games released through a publisher are any example, they have a terrible record of releasing polished games on time. The Bard's Tale (2003) was InXile's last publisher game and its a game most people here would rather forget, if they played it at all.

I guess its good news for the companies involved but I kind feel indifference to the whole news as I haven't really enjoyed any of the new release by Obsidian or InXile.

I really wish MS (or someone with money) takes over Piranha Bytes, thats something I will get excited about…. Yes PB will loose their independence but they are one company who really needs the money to bring out their true potential. Imagine a big budget open world designed by PB...

That won't happen.
My wetdream would be a joint product involving CDpr (story), PB (openworld), Larian (skill/class/inventory systems) and Spiders (charm), but this is most probably even less probable as at least one of these parties do not want mmo/phone designs while shareholders want only that.

I don't think this buying spree from MS is about turning every studio into phone games since MS has least interest in phones compared to everyone else. This is more about first party games for Xbox (and by extension PC). I think they will also let these companies to be who they are within reason.

MS is following Sony here and most of PS4 hits are from first party games and Sony did not interfere with those companies they bought. So I think MS will do the same here..

MS has least interest in phones compared to everyone else
Dunno nothing about that. First they tried to phoneize PC with win8, then they wanted windows phone to succeed and now they're adding whatever phoneconnect/sync rubbish in win10 no normal person needs.

Jack of all trades master of everything can't exist. M$ still didn't learn that - maybe they will after playing some RPGs from companies they just bought.

I don't think this buying spree from MS is about turning every studio into phone games since MS has least interest in phones compared to everyone else. This is more about first party games for Xbox (and by extension PC). I think they will also let these companies to be who they are within reason.

MS is following Sony here and most of PS4 hits are from first party games and Sony did not interfere with those companies they bought. So I think MS will do the same here..
It is about offering their Game Pass members all kinds of games to choose from.
More varied the games on offer, more people will be using that service.

Yes I agree, that too. This is why I am not too worried that MS forcing them in a certain way. They will be give the freedom to make whatever they want for now, it will be another story if they fail at that but that's fair enough since MS is not a charity.

Yep. Completely agree. And this is included in their whole "Windows + XB" thing, to strengthen both platforms. I'm thinking they want to strengthen their platforms ahead of the next console generation, which is only 1-2 years off.

I wonder also if this will mean the true end of Windows seven to a certain degree, at least the products that Microsoft puts out in the future. I can easily see them requiring only the newest Windows platform for new products.

Both company owners won the lottery by getting their very much needed Retirement Moneyz early.

Low Poe2 sales - usually means useless company of developers - and inXile being a SHT developer from the start, so GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Hope to never see any game from these two useless eater brigades!

Obsidian has always been in desperate need of a cash infusion so this works for them. It sounds like Brian Fargo could have used some more cash for the InXile games. Maybe they could have delivered on that language filter for Wastelands 2 they kept promising.

However, if Stormlands is any indication Obsidian and Cos. may start failing on much grander scale, especially as internal politics over budget start happening.

MS says they're going to leave them alone but that never happens, ever. There's no such thing as a merger of equals - that's always just spin.

The only thing about Microsoft that's *really* predictable is their unwillingness for long-term support for games. Zoo Tycoon 1, for example.They are always willing to withdraw support for games & software at any time.

And please do not forget that Dungeon Siege 2 "Expansion" that was only available to Windows XP users ! (At least they wanted it so.)

The only thing about Microsoft that's *really* predictable is their unwillingness for long-term support for games. Zoo Tycoon 1, for example.They are always willing to withdraw support for games & software at any time.

And please do not forget that Dungeon Siege 2 "Expansion" that was only available to Windows XP users ! (At least they wanted it so.)
You're aware that you are referring to games that released more than 10 years and several head honchos ago? And that service games is the new hot sh** these days? You should hope they don't plan for years of support!

Ouch so this is not an early april's fool day prank… So much for the old school games from these companies says my gut. On the other hand I can't deny that it wouldn't be intresting to see what happens next. This acquisition can lead to positive outcomes if MS pours money on these struggling companies and lets them stand on more solid ground financilly while devellopping great rpgs… But can one really trust Microsoft? :)

You're aware that you are referring to games that released more than 10 years and several head honchos ago? And that service games is the new hot sh** these days? You should hope they don't plan for years of support!

There's such a thing as company culture. A tiger doesn't change his spots overnight, so to speak.

Ouch so this is not an early april's fool day prank… So much for the old school games from these companies says my gut. On the other hand I can't deny that it wouldn't be intresting to see what happens next. This acquisition can lead to positive outcomes if MS pours money on these struggling companies and lets them stand on more solid ground financilly while devellopping great rpgs… But can one really trust Microsoft? :)

I think we can trust MS these days in so much as they are desperate. They've been less than the bully in the playground since some other kids moved into the neighbourhood - and IBM, who taught them how, up and moved away.

Back
Top Bottom