Path of Exile - Impressions For Diablo Newcomers

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCInvasion A former Diablo player relates his experience trying Path of Exile as a newcomer.

The talk of the town these past few days has been about BlizzCon. More specifically, it’s Blizzard’s decision to announce a mobile game, Diablo: Immortal, which did not sit well with their hardcore PC fanbase. We’ve already covered Diablo: Immortal quite a fair bit, including the reaction from the Path of Exile community. The action role-playing game (ARPG) from New Zealand-based Grinding Gear Games has become the main alternative for anyone seeking to move away from Diablo. That’s probably why the community has been very welcoming of new players — “Diablo refugees” or “Diablo exiles” to the world of Wraeclast — looking to give their game a try.

This is my story as a Path of Exile newcomer. I came in with an open mind and I ended up with a discombobulated brain within the first few seconds. I ended up sharing this experience to the Path of Exile community on Reddit, and they had an overwhelmingly positive response. If you’re new to the game — probably a former Diablo player — you might be able to relate to it as well.

[...]
More information.

Not sure why anyone would play PoE when Grim Dawn is vastly superior.

Not sure why anyone would play PoE when Grim Dawn is vastly superior.

They're completely different games. But one unequivocal fact is that Path of Exile is 10,000% less stagnant with new FREE content every 3 months.

Which leads into… New League just announced!

They're completely different games. But one unequivocal fact is that Path of Exile is 10,000% less stagnant with new FREE content every 3 months.

Which leads into… New League just announced!

They are essentially the same game, except one made horrific design decisions around MP, loot, economy etc.

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls and Path of Exile have both been out since 2013. Because of the news from BlizzCon, players aren't going to rush to Path of Exile. Most players have probably tried both games in the past 5 years, and now moved onto another game all together.

Grim Dawn is a better fit for single players (offline, economy), and is somewhat more honest about its price. PoE has much more diversity with respect to builds, skills, and just things to do in general. Both have a nice, but different atmosphere. Both have a rather limited story.

Now give each other a hug, and go play nice.

Grim Dawn is a better fit for single players (offline, economy), and is somewhat more honest about its price. PoE has much more diversity with respect to builds, skills, and just things to do in general. Both have a nice, but different atmosphere. Both have a rather limited story.

Agree with you again which is rare.:biggrin:

Some of us just want a single-player offline experience instead of Diablo 3 & Path of Exile nowadays. Also please do spare me the you can play solo & everyone has internet.

Read it over a hundred times in response to my posts.

Also Grim Dawn has another update.

Grim Dawn Grim Misadventure #151 - Rotten to the Core
A Grim Misadventure is here, and we are really emphasizing the ‘grim’ this time around.

Last time, we unveiled the full breadth of details on just how the upcoming Shattered Realm game mode will function.

Today, we are taking a turn for the gross.

Every once in a while, the collective minds of Crate come up with something that nails the atmosphere of Grim Dawn, and then we DOUBLED IT.

But without further ado, let us take a gander at the latest additions to our monster repertoire!

makes little to no sense to me to prefer or care about offline single player experience when THERE IS NO STORY . global chat adds to the stimulation

makes little to no sense to me to prefer or care about offline single player experience when THERE IS NO STORY . global chat adds to the stimulation
I wasn't talking about this game but agreeing why some of us prefer to play Grim Dawn.

Last edited:

Definitely agree with this sentiment. The Grim Dawn v PoE back and forth has become rather toxic which is ridiculous as both are quality games and well worth investing time into. Both games are regularly updated with fresh content as well. Blizzard appear to have become somewhat complacent over the Diablo franchise so I would encourage fans of the ARPG genre to give both Grim Dawn and PoE a try.

is this game worth it for someone who doesn't care about the grinding?

I mean, as a standalone single player game that you will play one time, beat it and not play it again, do the game offer something great for me? Or the objective public for this game is just grinders?

is this game worth it for someone who doesn't care about the grinding?

I mean, as a standalone single player game that you will play one time, beat it and not play it again, do the game offer something great for me? Or the objective public for this game is just grinders?

It is good enough to finish once the story part (acts 1 to 10) and ignore endgame. Just don't expect story to be handed to you like in D3. Storytelling is more like Grim Dawn or Diablo 1. Talk to all NPCs and see what they got to say, everyone holds a small bit of the whole picture and lore of the world. Good thing is that it is all voice acted.

Grinding in the game is required if your goal is to beat end game dungeons and bosses.

It is good enough to finish once the story part (acts 1 to 10) and ignore endgame. Just don't expect story to be handed to you like in D3. Storytelling is more like Grim Dawn or Diablo 1. Talk to all NPCs and see what they got to say, everyone holds a small bit of the whole picture and lore of the world. Good thing is that it is all voice acted.

Grinding in the game is required if your goal is to beat end game dungeons and bosses.

thanks, sounds like I could give it a try then.

In general I agree that grinding is only required for the endgame content that comes after the end of the main story.

There may be exceptions: Occasionally, if you are rushing through the different areas, you may level up too slowly. In that case, you might have to suffer through some mild grinding, to get you on the same level as the areas you explore.
But I think that is unlikely, especially if you play the game the first time.
Rushing through areas would also deprive you of experiencing some of the bits of lore that are spread through the game. (if you care for that)

Agree with you again which is rare.:biggrin:

I think it's not sooo rare if we ignore politics. :biggrin:

i cant overcome the fact that poe has no money.
i found myself after a couple of hours of gaming with chest full of strange weird crafting stuff.

i cant overcome the fact that poe has no money.
i found myself after a couple of hours of gaming with chest full of strange weird crafting stuff.

:lol: The currency actually has value though - unlike in ever other single game under the sun where "gold" becomes meaningless after a few hours unless you want to buy something trivial from a shop. It's one of the more revolutionary tenets of the game, alongside modular gems to control your skills.

Back
Top Bottom