The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

I have watched e 1-3 now - mostly enjoyed it. Thought the Striga sequence was great. I agree with JDR about Dandelion and Triss though. Triss doesn't seem 'hard' enough to be a sorceress - but maybe show'll show more mettle as the show progresses. Dandelion's banter is OK, but his singing is terrible - I mean the music/score is poor in several places, it should be more medieval? Sounds very contemporary in some place - like the ballroom scene with the socerers, the music for which sounded like something from Harry Potter. ugh. I thought Yennefer's transition was well done.

The 4th episode was very enjoyable and has been the best by far. My wife was almost done with the series and after the 4th episode she wanted to watch the 5th right away.

My wife wants the Witcher to kill Dandelion to stop him from singing. I haven't told her that he's a main character.

Just finished the season. Starts off a bit slow but ends with a bang. Really enjoyed it. THey could do a better job of telling you when they are going to jump around time wise, though. Especially episode 4 it took me a bit to figure out what was going on.

Now a long wait for season 2.

Just reading this thread (Haven't seen the show); makes him sound like JarJar.

We watched 2 more episodes tonight and as soon as she saw him "Noooo!!!!!". He's not as bad as Jar Jar luckily. He was less annoying made a few good jokes.

The time skipping is indeed confusing, and quite frankly poorly done. When the characters look identical, you need some sort of exposition to make it work. Or just do things chronologically, which could have worked here.

Other than that, I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm looking forward to season 2.

Just reading this thread (Haven't seen the show); makes him sound like JarJar.

Yes. But he has more screen time than Jar-Jar..

Sure, both are supposed to be annoying but also funny, which is where it fails, they're only annoying.

I've never seen any time skipping btw. I guess i'm just lucky and totally clueless lol

Yes they do decades of time skipping without any indication. The stuff with Ciri's mother was particularly confusing but we figured it out within a minute or two. As mentioned the actresses are nearly identical which doesn't help at all. Maybe that's the actresses sister or something. To understand the show you have to pay a bit of attention.

TW3 lullaby:

TW3 bard song:

Netflix' witcher bard song. 'xcuse me. Pop star song.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-24-the-witcher-heralds-an-era-of-game-ips-on-tv
The Witcher heralds an era of game IPs on TV | Opinion

As media giants prepare to do battle over streaming, well-known IPs are a potent weapon -- and videogames remain the last great untapped source

That success is a pretty important milestone, because while it's true that The Witcher is adapting a series of novels, it's undeniable that most of the pre-release buzz and built in anticipation that allowed this show to become such an enormous hit so quickly came not from the books but from CD Projekt Red's massively popular series of games. The novels, while hardly a flop, have largely enjoyed a devoted niche following in Eastern Europe; the games are global mega-hits, especially the most recent instalment, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, which has sold somewhere in the region of 20 million copies worldwide.
It's not unfair to say that in most markets around the world, The Witcher has -- up until now -- primarily been a game property, with many players probably not even aware that a novel series exists. This, in essence, makes The Witcher into the first hugely successful, premium TV show to build its success on a videogame-centric IP.
The article is marked with the word "opinion".

My opinion is that this "videogame 1st - series next" idea can work only if a videogame is epic while not being boring in it's repetitiveness and annoying filler world.
Which means if Netflix ever decides to bring Drakensang TDE&TroT as series, I bet it'll be a hit just as TW. I also believe that attempting to adapt silly mmos to a streaming episodic show can only fail.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/netflix-witcher-inspiration
Hissrich appears on episode 85 of The Writer Experience podcast, and talks at length about the creation of season one of The Witcher.
:rolleyes:
“I took in the visuals of the world, and what I will say is that’s probably the biggest thing I took from the games,” Hissrich said. “Oftentimes, people think of fantasy as being very dirty and gritty and horrible and everything’s dark, and the truth is, The Witcher has a lot of colour, it has a lot of light, a lot of everything to it.”
Where's "no games have bright colors any more" Alrik? :D

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/season-2-armour-nilfgaardian
The Witcher season 2 will fix Nilfgaard’s terrible wrinkly armour
“The Nilfgaard armour will be totally different. You have that opportunity [in the next season] to go back and course correct if you want to.”
Okay, now only one thing remains and it's: fix Triss!

I was sort of impressed by their {2019 Netflix) take on Dandelion, "Javier" (Joey Batey), he seems much more clever and motivated (than the computer game Dandelion) and functions as a empathetic diplomat for Henry Cavil's Geralt. Sort of channels Bob Hope & Bing Crosby's "Road to" series movies which I suspect was the right way to go.

Personally the computer game "Dandelion" sort of irritates me, it doesn't demonstrate enough synergy or competencies for the character in my opinion.

I look forwards to season 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom