The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

i still couldn’t care less what her skin color is. I don’t care what the skin color of James Bond is either. Or the skin color of anyone else.

There has been a lot of whitewashing in movies and tv shows over the years, where white actors play a non-white role. I hope you all have spent a similar amount of effort and emotion in publicly voicing your dismay about that.

i still couldn’t care less what her skin color is. I don’t care what the skin color of James Bond is either. Or the skin color of anyone else.

There has been a lot of whitewashing in movies and tv shows over the years, where white actors play a non-white role. I hope you all have spent a similar amount of effort and emotion in publicly voicing your dismay about that.

On one hand you says you don't care about skin colour yet on the other hand you complain about whitewashing. So which is it?

If you truly believe if "black washing" or "BAME washing" justify "whitewashing" then we have nothing to discuss further and I will say my peace here but I don't believe two wrongs make a right.

Yes well I'm getting tired of movies and TV shows recasting different ethic characters just to fill a certain diversity quota. Then give an absurd response of how it's not forced.

Anyway joxer already beat me to it she is white in both novels and games.
So there you have it. An actor should look like this.

lht5uwgjhjbz.jpg

I thought that was Daenarys Targaryen for a second from GoT :D

I thought that was Daenarys Targaryen for a second from GoT :D
Nope a human cosplayer dressed up as Ciri.

There are plenty on the internet.

K07kYbm.jpg

LYH6TAX.jpg

e08c9a823e8e7a282e59bc4ac1ee4e0c66e829e9_hq.jpg

Thank you I do if the setting and actor don't fit the role.

Take for example Exodus it was a remake of the 10 Commandments.

Link - https://medium.com/@DavidDWrites/ri...-his-exodus-movie-is-infuriating-8d36bd555ada

I heavily criticized that film for white-washing.

Back on topic if they announced a minority actor got the role because she played the scenes out perfectly then fine, but they are excluding any white actors for diversity.

That is completely different in my opinion and others. Anyway I'm sure dozen of articles on the internet will paint us as trolls, and praise diversity again. Business as usual.
If you truly believe if "black washing" or "BAME washing" justify "whitewashing" then we have nothing to discuss further and I will say my peace here but I don't believe two wrongs make a right.
Agree I'm done here also if that's the case.:nod:

I didn't link to the countless articles calling my opinion that of a troll. As I predicted.

Last edited:
Too much emphasis put on skin color. Could care less myself as long as the actor/actress is good. I prefer more diversity to less of it myself. The world is a colorful place. I will judge the actress on how well she plays the part not the color of her skin.

Cosplay never cease to amaze me. Is she as proficient with the sword as her character? Photos look heavily processed though.

Of course we all know the best Ciri is the one from the game. Lets just animate her. Perfectly possible in these times. Heck. why don't we animate Geralt too? Then we can use the same great voice actor too. We can make them black or white depending on the country where it is aired.

On one hand you says you don't care about skin colour yet on the other hand you complain about whitewashing. So which is it?

Why don’t you read my post again with the hint that it is not whitewashing I am ‘complaining’ about.

Edit: actually I wasn’t complaining but stating.

That first pic above of Ciri/Scarface looks so re-touched I actually thought it was CGI.

I guess it's possible. Uncle of mine, once raised a whole nest of chickens that looked nothing like it's parents. These are serious issues and we must deal with them with utmost zeal and urgency!

I prefer a TV/movie representation of characters in a book to be as accurate as possible. I think a lot of people feel that way, and it doesn't make them racist.

I think it's perfectly fine to want white characters to be portrayed by white actors, and that applies equally to every race.

It's stupid. If the author has decided the characters in his books are white, that's the way it should be. It has nothing to do with racism and please stop misusing the word, in the end you are ruining its very meaning.

If anything it has to do with setting a certain vibe. Some series has women as the main protagonists, some series has mostly or all black protagonists, some series has only black actors. I don't see a problem with that.

My favorite GTA is still San Andreas, you're a black protagonist with mostly or all black friends.. I had no problem as a white dude to really enjoy that and to get into the vibe that the game achieved. If you're of a different color and you have a problem with "it's only whites!" or "it's only asians, where are the X colored!" then maybe be a bit more open minded and you might enjoy the vibe, the tone, even if its different to your own.

Of course her skin color and racial heritage matters. It's part of the character and background. How important and how MUCH it matters, I will leave to the people who know the character well enough.

If they cast a Jamaican to play Gandalf - that wouldn't matter to you? Ok, it matters to me a hell of a lot - because Gandalf has been very well established through the books and a host of artwork.

In that very same way, I would be quite annoyed if they had him wear jeans or a cowboy hat. If they had him speak Klingon - that would be a very big problem for me.

I have to say if such things don't bother you - you must not care much about being faithful to the material.

Which is cool.

I'm the sort of person who thinks you should be faithful to what you're adapting.

I'm also the sort of person who HATES "historical" movies that ignore the actual established history.

If you're going to do something, then it's my very firm opinion that you should be doing it right.

Of course, I assume that people have brains when I say this. Meaning, when I say something matters - it doesn't mean that one race is better or more interesting than another.

If James Bond drove a pink VW stationcar - that would also matter, but it obviously doesn't mean there's anything wrong with pink or stationcars.

It just doesn't match the established character.

Of course her skin color and racial heritage matters. It's part of the character and background. How important and how MUCH it matters, I will leave to the people who know the character well enough.

If they cast a Jamaican to play Gandalf - that wouldn't matter to you? Ok, it matters to me a hell of a lot - because Gandalf has been very well established through the books and a host of artwork.

In that very same way, I would be quite annoyed if they had him wear jeans or a cowboy hat. If they had him speak Klingon - that would be a very big problem for me.

I have to say if such things don't bother you - you must not care much about being faithful to the material.

Which is cool.

I'm the sort of person who thinks you should be faithful to what you're adapting.

I'm also the sort of person who HATES "historical" movies that ignore the actual established history.

If you're going to do something, then it's my very firm opinion that you should be doing it right.

Of course, I assume that people have brains when I say this. Meaning, when I say something matters - it doesn't mean that one race is better or more interesting than another.

If James Bond drove a pink VW stationcar - that would also matter, but it obviously doesn't mean there's anything wrong with pink or stationcars.

It just doesn't match the established character.

A few things to consider here, as some things you said apply, but some don't. First of all, it's a work of fiction. Just as with Game of Thrones or James Bond or Lord of the Rings, books and movies DO differ. A blond haired blue eyed dude is the most recent Bond, Tom Bombadil was never in the LOTR trilogy. Arwen was never a major story in the books. Daenerys doesn't have purple eyes in the series. Catelyn Stark didn't come back as a zombie.

There are reasonable changes that take place from page to screen, and some of them are big. Sapkowski is creative consultant on this, and since it's his world, why should race matter if he gives his blessing?

Let's also use our brain and make reasonable comparisons here. Bond driving a pink VW is not reasonable and would change the tone (unless it's a Peter Sellers or Mike Myers parody). Going for a black Bond (like the internet has been talking about) is indeed reasonable and wouldn't have an effect on the tone. Gandalf talking in a Jamaican accent straight out of Cool Runnings would not be reasonable. A black Gandalf would have backlash i'm sure, but a Morgan Freeman Gandalf wouldn't be unreasonable.

In regards to Ciri, not to give spoilers, but it would not be difficult to change her historical background to fit within parameters and intents they have for her on the screen.

Also, it's a work of fiction. Changing the material doesn't deny the history, it only re-interprets it. If i'm watching a historical WW2 movie, it's unreasonable to think the Germans will be played by Asians. If i'm playing a historical fiction game like Yakuza, then race is central to the story. But if i'm watching Batman, who cares what race plays heroes or villains, if the interpreted history on screen fits. It's not central to the story.

HOWEVER! And this is a big however. What I DO have a problem (as others have stated) with is when they pick the race first, and quality of the role second. Changing race just for some political statement, instead of picking the best actor for the job is ridiculous. I don't have a problem if Morgan Freeman played Gandalf, but I do have a problem if they picked Morgan Freeman over Ian Mckellen to satisfy some far left agenda, rather than pick the best acting chops for the role.

Last edited:
All I read was Morgan Freeman as Gandalf !! Would be awesome.
I was thinking heck why didn't I think of that! he would make an excellent Gandalf !

I was also thinking the other day that Idris Alba would far better bond that Daniel Craig.

r/witcher is having a collective meltdown
Not surprised as the video from my above post says Netflix lost the fandom. It's the same thing that happened to comic, movies, games, and other media makers.

Anyway Netflix will learn the hard lesson of Get Woke Go Broke.

If it is OK for a Ciri to be black if the casting was open for actors with any skin color. Does that mean you go from the assumption that the role of Geralt was open to people from any ethnicity as well. If not, why does it apply for the role of Ciri and is it fine to have restrictions for the role of Geralt?

Back
Top Bottom