NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

Your opinions on RPGs have no worth to me, sorry to say. An indiscriminating taste is useless to me when looking for opinions on RPGs. You also defend bad practises and bad philosophy. I suspect if Beamdog were to introduce microtransactions you would say its the best thing ever for RPGs. So whatever…

No, actually I wouldn't. What a ridiculous thing to say.

I could care less if you personally respect my opinions or not. I don't respect people who hate on everything, even a genre of games they claim to love. That to me is much worse than being excited for games.

Again, let's let the classic games rot, right? That's what you obviously would prefer. Because for a whopping $11 more you are deeply offended that a developer would try to enhance a classic RPG and offer modern support for it.

Hand in your RPG Card. K thx.

I don't really get it. If you apply the same logic then you must also despise GOG. I have many titles downloaded years ago from abandonware sites that are now monetized on GOG. Everyone treats them like the second coming.

/shrugs

It's not like it's a lot of money.

I don't really get it. If you apply the same logic then you must also despise GOG. I have many titles from abandonware sites that are now monetized on GOG. Everyone treats them like the second coming.

/shrugs

Word. And good on GOG for keeping them alive like they have. Yet Beamdog also takes it to another level that GOG cannot do. They can't possibly give an enhanced treatment to every GOG title, so Beamdog steps in and does good work in that area for a few select D&D games.

For 4K resolution and proper scaling in UI, hell yes I would pay $20, lol. Come on now. And modernized graphics options to boot.

That's not even getting into the actual support they offer. GOG does a fine job again, but Beamdog is an improvement as they can specialize in a few games. And we should get new modules out of it all, too, as apparently they worked together with the community to make modding NWN even better.

You can't go wrong at all with that, no matter which way you look at it. Unless $10 is a real breaking point for you (even though it will be 50% off plenty of times in sales.)

Ay yi yi. Why do I bother? :lol:

I don't really get it. If you apply the same logic then you must also despise GOG. I have many titles downloaded years ago from abandonware sites that are now monetized on GOG. Everyone treats them like the second coming.

/shrugs

I love GOG. I have over 300 games on there. For doubling the price you would expect more than integrating a resolution mod and some graphics filters. This is a cash grab. I respect Night Dive studios who do the same thing but offer much much more. Check out their Turok re-release. They justify the price they ask.

https://www.gog.com/game/turok

I'm with Silver with this one. Good thing I already own a DVD + GoG copy :)

I need to get a DVD drive in my PC again. Would like to install some boxed RPGs I have.

images

I love GOG. I have over 300 games on there. For doubling the price you would expect more than integrating a resolution mod and some graphics filters. This is a cash grab. I respect Night Dive studios who do the same thing but offer much much more. Check out their Turok re-release. They justify the price they ask.

That's why the first 4 reviews say it's not worth the price? :lol:

Oh, and about "doubling the price", GOG actually, umm, what percentage is $5.99 more than free? :lol:

Meh, agree to disagree.

So your agreeing with the haters Fluent?

Nah, just trying to get you to see your silliness, that's all. "One man's cash grab is another man's good quality rerelease" and vice versa. :)

It's all good. I'll quietly enjoy this when it comes out and the haters can grumble themselves right out of new NWN modules in 4K. :)

Nah, just trying to get you to see your silliness, that's all.

It's all good. I'll quietly enjoy this when it comes out and the haters can grumble themselves right out of new NWN modules in 4K. :)

Disagreeing with bad business practises does not make me a hater. What Beamdog does has worth to you, it does not to me. Besides which the game is already preserved on GOG which gives a guarantee to maintain compatibility for all their games. Plus there are easily found mods to provide the same 'enhancements' in this new version.

Why are you okay with the price being doubled for the bare minimum effort of convenience? This enhanced edition accomplishes nothing toward future proofing considering the GOG guarantee and the easily accessible mods.

You love GOG who sells slightly updated games that used to be free at a price but hate Beamdog for also selling slightly updated games also at a higher price?

In all honesty I'm not really fussed, I'm not that invested, I just don't really understand your reasoning. Be that as it may, as long as there's a working, updated version of NWN I'll be happy to check it our come release time.

You love GOG who sells slightly updated games that used to be free at a price but hate Beamdog for also selling slightly updated games also at a higher price?

In all honesty I'm not really fussed, I'm not that invested, I just don't really understand your reasoning. Be that as it may, as long as there's a working, updated version of NWN I'll be happy to check it our come release time.

There is already a NWN on the GOG store. Thats the difference.

Disagreeing with bad business practises does not make me a hater. What Beamdog does has worth to you, it does not to me. Besides which the game is already preserved on GOG which gives a guarantee to maintain compatibility for all their games. Plus there are easily found mods to provide the same 'enhancements' in this new version.

Why are you okay with the price being doubled for the bare minimum effort of convenience? This enhanced edition accomplishes nothing toward future proofing considering the GOG guarantee and the easily accessible mods.

I said agree to disagree, but if you must.

A. There are no mods to my knowledge that scale NWN's UI, period. I still play NWN, just played many hours of the Swordflight module a couple months back, all in glorious 800x600. On my 55" 4K TV, it wasn't the best experience. So yes, 1080p/4K support with proper scaling of all UI elements is HUGE to me.

If after hours of searching I couldn't find these mods, then I see that as a reasonable time to just buy an EE for a few bucks more and not have to deal with searching for some obscure mod that may or may not even work.

B. Enhanced graphics for NWN, sure, why not? I'd quite like that, without messing with all the Overrides and blah blah blah. Sure, I like to download mods for it, but who would honestly just turn down baked-in graphics enhancements? In a simple settings menu, etc..? Seems too silly.

C. It does a hell of a lot more than just GOG for future-proofing. GOG helps to future proof, sure. Beamdog takes it to the next level. GOG would do the same thing for the titles if they could, but they don't have the means. So small developers like Beamdog fill a nice role, in that they one-up the support that GOG offers, add enhancements and generally breathe a lot more life into a title than what GOG does. GOG has plenty of titles just collecting dust on there, and that is NOT a knock on them! They are just one company. So Beamdog helps with that for their select titles.

D. New life in this type of CRPG, invigorating modders and more of the community to continue making new modules, and even new games that are like this. Showing this project has a market for CRPG fans. They worked with the community modders to make improvements THE MODDERS wanted. I think that's pretty huge considered the cult mod following that NWN has. We could see great things from that, things that wouldn't happen if it just sat and collected dust on GOG. Same with the other Beamdog EEs.

So that is why I support them. I love these types of CRPGs and will gladly support those who try to keep them alive and make them worthwhile for future generations.

Do it for the kids, bro.

I really hope this EE allows you to cast spells from your spellbook. It's so annoying to use NWN quickbar.

I hope they use my Steam Controller profile like they did for Planescape: Torment EE. :) I made one specifically for NWN awhile back.

For anyone interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHvG9xIUz5g And please note that the profile has been significantly updated since this video was recorded.

(This EE also has the pleasant side effect of giving proper Steam Controller support, since it will be an official Steam game. :) )

So that is why I support them. I love these types of CRPGs and will gladly support those who try to keep them alive and make them worthwhile for future generations.

Do it for the kids, bro.

For what its worth I agree with you on the convenience factor just heavily disagree with removing the original title from sale even if it is likely to be included in the enhanced purchase. I also think it is something of a missed opportunity for a proper HD graphics pass considering they have access to source code, but its better than nothing I guess.

The big question is whether player modules will work with the EE. If they don't, this rehash is dead on arrival.

Won't be buying either way.

For what its worth I agree with you on the convenience factor just heavily disagree with removing the original title from sale even if it is likely to be included in the enhanced purchase. I also think it is something of a missed opportunity for a proper HD graphics pass considering they have access to source code, but its better than nothing I guess.

Yeah, it definitely is better than nothing! :party: I am actually excited to see it in "decent 4K" (upscaled, not a complete graphics pass as you mentioned) with the various graphics enhancements turned on.

Yes, I'm a nerd in that graphics for a 10+ year old game excites me. :) Since I still play the game I'll enjoy the upgrades there (not expecting Witcher 3, of course.)

And I just don't see many other developers at all interested in doing anything like this, other than your occasional reboot/remakes that have been happening a bit lately (which also seem to be hit or miss.) So I think that is cool when it's done for RPGs I'm really interested in, because until Bethesda, CDPR or some big company decides to start remaking these vintage games into huge remakes/reboots (do we want that? Look what happened to Fallout, etc.. :p Not that them taking interest in classic D&D games is going happen anytime soon anyway…), we should roll with Beamdog and support 'em, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom